PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen list to work towards

VoodooJanus
04-09-2010, 22:54
So, I have just begun to put together the first core bits and pieces of my beastmen army, to the point that I have developed a fairly solid core of infantry, and I want to start branching out into my actual (projected) 3000 point list. However, as I was going through the army, I had a fairly hard time doing it.

What I have so far is this

Lords

Beastlord...............238
Armor of Destiny
Sword of Strife
Shield

Doombull...............315
Brass Cleaver
Keen Senses
Armor of Silvered Steel

Heroes

Bray Shaman (Lore of Beasts) 125
Herdstone Shard

Bray Shaman (Lore of Shadow) 145
Lvl 2
Power Scroll

Bray Shaman (Lore of Beasts) 160
lvl 2
Dispel Scroll
Ruby Ring of Ruin

Core

2x 40x Gors w/ Add. Hand Weapons (Banner + Musician) 670

2x 30x Gors w/ Add. Hand Weapons (ambushing) 480

Special

5 Minautaurs 27*

4 Razorgors 22*

Rare

Ghorgon ***

This puts me up to 2883, which leaves me just under 120 points left to spend. I could use all the help I can get, as this Beastmen book is giving me a headache. I always feel that I'm overspending on characters, or that I don't have enough punch. So anyways- thoughts? Thanks a bunch everyone.

Enigmatik1
05-09-2010, 01:55
Well, I'm no Beastmen expert. I'm only just really trying to flesh out my own list in anticipation of starting an army soon. The most glaring thing for me is the lack of the obligatory BSB. Is this intentional? I would probably run a Beastlord (despite my love of the Hackbull) and Great Bray-Shaman as my lords, a Gorebull as my BSB (w/ 5 minos) and 1-2 additional level 2 shamans to round out my heroes. I must be the only one, I rather like the Lore of the Wild but if I were only running 2 casters, I'd take Shadow and Beasts most of the time honestly. LoWild would be my choice for a 3rd caster, if fielded.

A few other things to consider are both of their chariots (they seem pretty good) and Bestigor (for the magical banner). The standard Bestigor unit set up has a unit of 25-30 with the Standard of Discipline. By putting a Beastlord with the Crown of Command in this unit, you give that unit Stubborn LD 10, while the rest of his LD bubble is also testing on LD10 (because of the benefits of the standard).

I like your Gor unit set ups, but I'd consider playing with a couple of units of cheaper Ungors (say 1 deployed Gor and Ungor unit and one of each held in ambush) and maybe even small units of Ungor Raiders to potentially redirect with as well as giving your army some small manner of shooting. This is all theorycrafting of course. :)

The Ghorgon seems to be the best of the Beastmen rares, but few people seem to field any of the rares. For my part, I like the Cygor because...well...I like stone throwers and his abilities are cool, even if he is suboptimal.

VoodooJanus
05-09-2010, 03:36
The only problem I have with the BSB is that under the circumstance he breaks for any reason, he'll automatically die. Not a good deal IMO. I know that Beastmen have a huge leadership weakness, but that also makes taking a BSB a risky gamble. I'll put one in, but I have no idea where I might put the character...

I could drop the Ghorgon and instead take a beastigor unit... it's just that I literally (like 10 minutes ago) finished my Ghorgon conversion, and it took for freaking ever.

Enigmatik1
06-09-2010, 03:37
The only problem I have with the BSB is that under the circumstance he breaks for any reason, he'll automatically die. Not a good deal IMO. I know that Beastmen have a huge leadership weakness, but that also makes taking a BSB a risky gamble. I'll put one in, but I have no idea where I might put the character...

I could drop the Ghorgon and instead take a beastigor unit... it's just that I literally (like 10 minutes ago) finished my Ghorgon conversion, and it took for freaking ever.

Good point about the BSB. You see, right now I run TK and don't really have to worry about that since, I rarely field the IB and when I do, he's glued to my TK's side because of the Wizarding Hat. I think that's part of the reason why I like the Gorebull BSB despite his expense. He has good stats in general, and unlikely to fall to any of the instajib spell out there. Due to his size, I'd stick him in a unit of Minotaurs and probably try to shield them until most of the enemies are committed to close combat...I tend to do the same thing with my Bone Giant and it works fairy well.

Paraelix
06-09-2010, 03:55
Beasts is the way to go for magic IMO. 2 Lvl2s with the Signiature spell and +3 to cast it... T5 will make up for lack of armour across the army...

lcfr
07-09-2010, 22:58
2 Lvl2s with the Signiature spell and +3 to cast it

Be careful....the Beasts signature ability is to reduce the casting cost by 1, which is quite a different thing from adding a +1 bonus to cast. For casting purposes, it makes Beasts buffs easier to churn out, but if you're casting the spell dead on at a 9, it also makes it slightly easier for your opponent to dispel.

How is taking a BSB a risky gamble when the army has atrocious leadership?

The BSB is 1st on my list of things to take in a Beastmen list, and mine has paid off more times than I can count. Remember: you're re-rolling failed Panic tests, failed Fear/Terror tests, failed Break tests, and failed Primal Fury tests. A 12" ld9 bubble is just not enough. I don't know how hard I can stress the enormous importance of a BSB - using your leftover points for one is a no-brainer imo, especially since it should have been the first thing you included. A simple Wargor BSB w/50pts of protective gear will cost just over 150pts, and is well worth it - I'm not a fan of the Gorebull BSB myself, since there's a lot of pressure to be deployed in the Minotaur unit, since otherwise he won't benefit from a LoS! test vs. cannons/stone throwers/template magic.

Lvl 2
Power Scroll

Why the Power Scroll?

Why no Foe-Renders? And why no command options on the Ambushers? Foe-Renders are a great way of salvaging a crucial rank against nasty enemy characters, and they're also convenient for your Beastlord to push in the way against those same killy characters.

4 Razorgors 22*

Consider 2 units of 2 - 1 block of 4 panics just as easily, and 2 blocks of 2 (run 'em one in front of the other unless you see bolt throwers!) is a lot more versatile.

Ghorgon ***

Give him a shot since you just converted one....but if you find he's dying too easily before he gets into cc, run Bestigors instead. I personally prefer a nice block of Bestis over any of our Rares, but some folk vouch for the Ghorgon.

All in all, the Doombull is taking up a lot of points in a list where there's already a fair few characters...consider either giving the DB the Arabyan Carpet, or downgrading him into a fighty Gorebull. I'm advocating the Carpet (along with protection like Talisman of Preservation and Charmed Shield) because it makes the DB a super-deadly, versatile-as-hell thread - not only is he able to effectively shrug off cannonballs, but he can tear up all but the most elite block of troops. A Gorebull isn't a bad choice either, and will allow for more points to be spent on support units like Chariots.

I'd also recommend the Chalice of Dark Rain (maybe instead of the Power Scroll?) - it can really rain on a gunline's parade (haha).

exodusofman
07-09-2010, 23:35
So, I have just begun to put together the first core bits and pieces of my beastmen army, to the point that I have developed a fairly solid core of infantry, and I want to start branching out into my actual (projected) 3000 point list. However, as I was going through the army, I had a fairly hard time doing it.

What I have so far is this

Lords

Beastlord...............238
Armor of Destiny
Sword of Strife
Shield
gnarled hide,ramhorn helm,brass cleaver,dawnstone,gouge tusks go herekeep the shield and give him heavy armour
Doombull...............315
Brass Cleaver
Keen Senses
Armor of Silvered Steel
dont take both a doombull and a beatlord id drop either the beatlord or doombull and take a great bray. if you keep the doombull i suggest the above set up
Heroes

Bray Shaman (Lore of Beasts) 125
Herdstone Shard
good
Lvl 2
Power Scroll
no reason to pack a power scroll here tbh you can get shadow spells off easy enough you really only need the scroll imo if ur scouting with a lvl2 beast shaman that will use kandon or a lvl 2 with death for purple sun so id say give him the hag tree fetish
Bray Shaman (Lore of Beasts) 160
lvl 2
Dispel Scroll
Ruby Ring of Ruin
staff of darkoth plz
Core

good
i wouldnt ambush with them tbh you really need more boides on the field. ambushers should be units of 10-15
Special

5 Minautaurs 27*
give them 2 hnd weps
4 Razorgors 22*
not a fan i tried them they are ok but minos do it bette
Rare

Ghorgon ***
always run big nasties in 2's they dont have to be the same monster just run 2 big things cuz one will just get shot up and die
This puts me up to 2883, which leaves me just under 120 points left to spend. I could use all the help I can get, as this Beastmen book is giving me a headache. I always feel that I'm overspending on characters, or that I don't have enough punch. So anyways- thoughts? Thanks a bunch everyone.

my suggestions are in bold