PDA

View Full Version : Highland Empire 2.5k

_dandaman_
05-09-2010, 21:26
Hey everybody, I've recently had the idea of doing a scottish/ welsh themed empire army. So this means a few restrictions, #1) absolutely no gunpowder whatsoever. #2) no casters, not one, not even a warrior priest #3) All infantry, no cavalry allowed. So here it goes:

Highland King (General of the Empire) : Adar Llwch Gwyn (Gryphon), Holy Relic, Full Plate Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might = 367 pts

Highland King: Full Plate, Shield, Wrymslayer Sword = 110 pts

Highland King: Full Plate, Sword of Sigismund, Shield = 140 pts

Highland Prince: BSB, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Great Weapon = 104 pts

Highland Prince: Full Plate, Shield, Dragon Bow = 90 pts

40x Welsh Spearmen: F/C, Shields = 260 pts
- 15x Peasant Rabble (free company) = 75 pts

40x Welsh Pikes: F/C, Razor Standard = 265 pts
- 15x Peasant Rabble = 75 pts

30x Highlanders (Swordsmen) : F/C = 205 pts
- 15x Highland Archers = 120 pts

20x Mercenary Crossbowmen: F/C = 180 pts

10x Highland Archers: Huntsmen = 100 pts

38x Highland Nobles (greatswords) : F/C = 310 pts

So what do you think? I think it'll be fun to play, and even more fun to convert, but I'd like to get the list finalized before I dish out big buchs for the army. I've also got about 200 more points to spend, so what should I spend it on? C&C is appreciated!

Thanks;

Dan

Gmaleron
05-09-2010, 21:49
First off i really like the theme of this army, what models will you be using to make them look more highlanderish?
However besides that i feel that you need to have at least warrior priests and an arch elector for magic defense. Now you could easily fit this into your fluff in a number of ways. Like all peoples in the warhammer world you guys probably worship some god or another so why not say the warrior priests and arch elector worship a god that bestows its blessings on your units (aka prayers). Also with the priests and arch elector you technically have no magic as you have prayers and the arch elector is a chariot/artefact that enables you to cast a lore of light spell which it can be easily said its what the sacred artefact does. I only say this because to be competitive in this edition you are going to need some form of magic defense or else you will picked apart.

_dandaman_
05-09-2010, 22:37
First off i really like the theme of this army, what models will you be using to make them look more highlanderish?
However besides that i feel that you need to have at least warrior priests and an arch elector for magic defense. Now you could easily fit this into your fluff in a number of ways. Like all peoples in the warhammer world you guys probably worship some god or another so why not say the warrior priests and arch elector worship a god that bestows its blessings on your units (aka prayers). Also with the priests and arch elector you technically have no magic as you have prayers and the arch elector is a chariot/artefact that enables you to cast a lore of light spell which it can be easily said its what the sacred artefact does. I only say this because to be competitive in this edition you are going to need some form of magic defense or else you will picked apart.

Yea, I was thinking just getting in a warrior priest and some flaggellants as "druids" and the druid high priest, the only problem is that would take massive ammounts of converting with robes and hoods and such, but I guess I'll give it a go. As for the models I was thinking of using bretonian men at arms bodies, as they incorperare both tunics and padded armor, also the archer bodies for possibly my highlanders or noble highlanders.

Thanks;

Dan

yabbadabba
05-09-2010, 22:44
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a huge amount of empire plastics at a reasonable cost. I now have a unit of greatswords using the kilted legs from the command spure, the double handed sword from the militia sprue, the hairy head sprues and a variety of militia/canon bodies especially the plain shirt one.
I plan to add some bits and pieces now like firearms, bucklers etc. to give them a highland clansman cattle rustler kind of look.

Bunnahabhain
05-09-2010, 22:56
I like the theme of the list, but I agree- some magic defence is essential. If you did include any active magic, I'd go with weather type spells to fit with the whole " if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes" stereotype* of the Highlands.

* and truth. Was up there last week, and got blown over, in August. So am going camping there next week...

yabbadabba
05-09-2010, 23:04
Could do with a spell called "Swarm of Midges"

Kiras of the flame
06-09-2010, 05:11
I like the theme of the list, but I agree- some magic defence is essential. If you did include any active magic, I'd go with weather type spells to fit with the whole " if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes" stereotype* of the Highlands.

* and truth. Was up there last week, and got blown over, in August. So am going camping there next week...

well then having a lv4 Wizard Lord with the lore of Life fits the bill pretty well... I mean it's called druid lore, and the spells that go with the list fit the army very well... and lets face it dwellers below is awesome and powerful...

Fox Of 9
06-09-2010, 18:43
dwellers is ok i guess if up against human opponents but its almost useless against WoC, O&G, Ogers and all high toughness creature's/armies

thesheriff
06-09-2010, 19:44
dwellers is ok i guess if up against human opponents but its almost useless against WoC, O&G, Ogers and all high toughness creature's/armies

Its strength btw :p

Some of the best armies on the market have low toughness, elves basically. taking a lv.4 with life and a lv.4 with Shadow will cover both iniative and strength
Its also a themed army, so with beasts and life for druids being the best port of call, dwellers is pretty damn pimp.

On a side note, hear it for the welsh (one cheer is heard in a crowd). Love the theme, and druids would be amazing

Fox Of 9
06-09-2010, 21:48
Its strength btw :p

Some of the best armies on the market have low toughness, elves basically. taking a lv.4 with life and a lv.4 with Shadow will cover both iniative and strength
Its also a themed army, so with beasts and life for druids being the best port of call, dwellers is pretty damn pimp.

On a side note, hear it for the welsh (one cheer is heard in a crowd). Love the theme, and druids would be amazing

thanks for the correction keep getting that 1 wrong ahh well

_dandaman_
06-09-2010, 21:59
Ok, so do people think flagellants are worth it? If so what size? And where should I get the points, and what should I give, and should I mount my wizard lord, i mean druid high priest.

Dark Aly
06-09-2010, 22:44
just a small and silly point- you cannot give an empire bsb a great weapon. the list doesn't seem too competitive but i don't think thats your idea. i would love to give you a game with a themed army of mine (ancient greek skellies based on jason and the argonauts).

Kiras of the flame
07-09-2010, 07:42
well to answer your Question Dan...

Flagellants make impressive speed bumps, that or good against light infantry with as much hitting power as a haliberdier and with more attacks, in exchange of a decent weapon skill... It's worth getting if you plan to slow down opponents before your hard hitting troops can get on the flank and rip your opponents block to shreds... I'd say get a warrior preist as well so they become a troop choice (well one of them anyway)

as for the Druid(wizard), having him mounted does give him a level of protection and he's able to get into range of most of the spells without going for the upgraded one's for extra distance...

I guess it'd be up to you at that point...

thesheriff
07-09-2010, 20:56
30 Flaggelents hording with a lv.4 with life riding on a horse behind them reviving them and making them tougher will create a fantasitc hammer unit.

Kiras of the flame
08-09-2010, 07:55
30 Flaggelents hording with a lv.4 with life riding on a horse behind them reviving them and making them tougher will create a fantasitc hammer unit.

now that's a good speed bump.... provided they don't kill the wizard first...

_dandaman_
08-09-2010, 13:37
So how would I get the model for a sorcerer on horseback? Also, what would be the kit, I was thinking Lvl 4 and seal of destruction? I would have to drop the gryphon, what does everyone think?

Kiras of the flame
09-09-2010, 06:29
for models... well I've had an Idea running around in my head to use the Bretonnian Damsel as a mounted wizard... you could try something like that...

or an elf... but then we'd be getting into Irish lore...

you can also get rid of one or two of those Kings/princes.... if you want to keep the griffon... then again that's kinda big considering this is a 2000 point army...

well then again it's not that competitive...

_dandaman_
09-09-2010, 15:29
Reworked the list with some added sorcerers and some flagellents, what do people think, I was particularly lost in terms of what to give my highland kings.

Druid High Priest: Lvl 4, Talisman of Preservation, Warhorse = 271 pts

Highland King: Sword of Justice, Full Plate, Shield = 105 pts

Highland King: Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying = 132 pts

Highland King: Full Plate, Shield, Wrymslayer = 110 pts

Highland Prince: BSB, Armor of Meteoric Iron = 115 pts

40x Welsh Spearmen: F/C, Shields = 260 pts
- 15x Highland Peasants (Free Company) = 75 pts

40x Highland Pikes: F/C, Razor Standard = 265 pts
- 15x Highland Peasants (Free Company) = 75 pts

30x Highlanders (Swordsmen) : F/C = 205 pts

20x Mercenary Crossbowmen: F/C = 180 pts

10x Highland Archers: Huntsmen = 100 pts

28x Highland Nobles (greatswords) : F/C = 310 pts

30x Druids (Flagellants) : Prophet of Doom = 305 pts

Kiras of the flame
09-09-2010, 16:20
I'd ditch the sword of justice... only Ludwig can pull that weapon off perfectly... either get the Sword of might or something less expensive...

Wyrmslayer sword is only situational... but it's nice for something fluffy...

you have alot of lords man... I usually just walk around with two most of the time...

the list is getting a bit more competative but it's still along the Fluff lines... have to say it's pretty mad right there

Fox Of 9
09-09-2010, 16:38
if you get rid of 2 of the highland king that give you 215pts 2 play with you could then gets some more hard hitiing unit the thing is as long as you can model them well u could use great swords as somthing like the woad raiders or somthing from Age Of Empires II

_dandaman_
09-09-2010, 17:45
@Kiras: do you think I should drop some kings for mre troops? I'm kind of liking 3, 1 for each big unit, and 1 to protect the BSB in the highalnd noble unit. I don't know.

@Fox Of 9: I'm actaully modeling my unit of 28 greatswords to have claymores and all kinds of nast big axes and such.

Kiras of the flame
09-09-2010, 21:21
well that or trade them for princes... since you're not going to use any long ranged artillery you're gonna have to cause a dent somehow...