PDA

View Full Version : Charge Question: No room on front of target?

Venerable_Bede
06-09-2010, 14:45
Here's the situation.

A unit of Dwarfs (5 files x 5 ranks) charges a unit of Chaos Marauders. (5 files x 3 ranks). The Dwarfs contact the Marauders on their front and are aligned such that the entire frontage of the Dwarfs is covered by the Marauders.

That combat is a draw and the units just stay in place.

On the Chaos turn, the Chaos player wants to charge a unit of Chaos Hounds into the Dwarfs locked in combat with the Marauders. The Hounds are in the Dwarfs front arc and thus must charge the front, but there's no room.

However, the Hounds could make physical contact with the flank of the Dwarf unit.

Do the Hounds contact the flank of the Dwarfs but are treated as just charging the front (i.e. no flank bonus for CR) or are the Hounds unable to charge?

Thanks.

theunwantedbeing
06-09-2010, 14:50
Unable to charge.

marv335
06-09-2010, 14:53
If you want to charge, you have to be able to make contact with the target unit.
No charge.

T10
06-09-2010, 14:58
You are required to move into contact with the appropriate side of the target unit. It is quite possible for the charging unit to be unable to make contact with the target simply because that side is completely occupied by friendly troops.

If the unit fails to reach the target it is treated as a failed charge.

However, it should be noted that you are allowed to measure before declaring charges, and you are not allowed to declare impossible charges. So in practice it should be obvious that you can't get into close combat with the target unit, thus you can't charge, thus you are free to move your unit into a better position in the remaining moves phase.

-T10

Atrahasis
06-09-2010, 15:04
The Chaos player should have reformed at the end of the prior round of combat to move his unit slightly sideways (see attachment) if he really wanted those hounds to come in and grant free combat res.

I suspect that he was just trying to get an unearned flank charge, though, so this tactic may not be helpful ;)

Venerable_Bede
06-09-2010, 15:12
Interesting. It never occurred to me that you could use a combat reform to shift position.

I assumed that since the combat reform prevents you from moving a model in contact out of contact that you simply had to leave the models in contact in place. But on further review shifting them, so that they stay in contact, doesn't violate the letter of the rule.

Duke_Corwin
06-09-2010, 16:24
I don't think you can slide sideways as it says the center of the re-forming unit must remain in place (page 14 Rule Book).

In this example the hounds would probably have to spend one turn moving into position for a flank charge then charge in next turn.

Atrahasis
06-09-2010, 16:27
I don't think you can slide sideways as it says the center of the re-forming unit must remain in place (page 14 Rule Book). Page 55* of the rulebook exempts combat reforms from that requirement.

*Post erratum.

Duke_Corwin
07-09-2010, 04:28
Page 55* of the rulebook exempts combat reforms from that requirement.

*Post erratum.

Good to know. It is hard to keep up with all the erratum. :)