PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines but which chapter?

Darkoth
06-09-2010, 14:44
Okay so i'm potentially going to start a new Space Marine army but am unsure what chapter i should go with?

I'm probably leaning towards a standard codex Space Marine army rather than any of the offshots as it were.

Any suggestions?

AlexHolker
06-09-2010, 15:02
This (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pictorial_List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters_A-L) and this (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pictorial_List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters_M-Z) might help. Can you give us more to work with? Anything to work with? Do you want bright colours or drab colours?

Col. Tartleton
06-09-2010, 15:51
Raven Guard.

The Crow Caws at Midnight.

Luko
06-09-2010, 16:21
Create your own then you can play whatever space marine codex you like?

Luko

AlexHolker
06-09-2010, 16:45
The forum ate my last post, but I was going to suggest looking at Lexicanum's pictorial list of Space Marine Chapters to find a name and colour scheme you liked. I would find one of the rarer official chapters like the White Consuls more interesting than Luko's suggestion of making one up.

Lord Damocles
06-09-2010, 17:19
Space Sharks.

They're Jawsome!

:shifty:

Duncan Ferguson
06-09-2010, 17:44
Space Wolves, they're the only ones who have fun in 40k

tezdal
06-09-2010, 17:54
World Eaters, 'cause chain-axes are your friend

Iverald
06-09-2010, 18:02
Celestial Lions look good and they are/were pretty heroic.

@Lord Damocles: see what you did there ;p

ForgottenLore
06-09-2010, 18:03
Definitely invent your own.

Then use the specific codex that best represents the fluff you come up for them.

Nazguire
07-09-2010, 09:11
Better yet, don't invent your own, but use an obscure and rarely mentioned Chapter. That way you have background precedence, an army that is rarely seen, and you dont' fall into the trap of creating a corny name for an army you insist is the SAVIOUR OF THE IMPERIUM LULZ.

But seriously, many fan created Space Marine armies all fall into the trap of trying to be so awesome, that they are hilariously bad and OTT.

Badab War is being fleshed out by Forge World soon. Many Chapters who previously just had a single reference will be fleshed out. Choose one of them :)

Aiwass
07-09-2010, 09:31
Relictors or Marines Malevolent FTW?

Nazguire
07-09-2010, 09:34
Obscure Chapters like Emperor's Hands, or Emperor's Paladin or Iron Champions. They have a colour scheme, symbol, but NO MORE THAN THAT.

That's what I wanna do. Right after this Luna Wolves army I start up.

totgeboren
07-09-2010, 10:45
Ultramarines! Can't get any more standard than that, and you get the added bonus of not having to invent "hilariously bad and OTT" fluff. You get it handed to you right in the Codex!

Also, I really like facing down the Ultras, since I play Word Bearers. Grudge-match!

Lysander The Great
07-09-2010, 10:54
This (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pictorial_List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters_A-L) and this (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pictorial_List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters_M-Z) might help. Can you give us more to work with? Anything to work with? Do you want bright colours or drab colours?

I'd say go through chapters ^ and pick one that you like the sound of, look of and then read through any fluff about them.
If they don't have any fluff then you can always make some up! :)

Polaria
07-09-2010, 11:20
Space Sharks.

They're Jawsome!

:shifty:

Seconded. They have frickin' lasers in their forehead!

Col. Dash
07-09-2010, 13:14
I would say go with obscure. With badab coming out soon as mentioned you can go a long way with one of those. I am doing Camo'd Howling Griffons, and have noticed marines look really good in non-dark camo(ie. typical BDU, Tigers stripes, or Waffen camo are waaay too dark and marines look bad in them). Cool thing about badab is the large number of alternate camo schemes with one or two pictures that you can build a whole chapter off of.
As much as I like Raven Guard and RG style armies, I hate the black scheme. Its a pain to paint well and only rarely does someone get it right to where I think it looks good. It has been done, and I have done it once on a single HQ figure myself that I never want to repeat on mass armor on many figures again(too much wet blending and go too high and the effect is lost).
The mention of that thread with the 1k chapters is a great source. Whenever i go through there I get distracted and want to start a new army from some color combo that suddenly appealed to me(thus I only go there when I actually need an idea). I have ADOS(Attention Deficit-- Ohhhh Shiny!) or the recently renamed for me this weekend ADOB(Attention Deficit -- Ohhhh Bo-----!)(family forum :P).

R0ot
07-09-2010, 13:54
Black Templar. Back in Black!

Skawolf
07-09-2010, 18:35
Lexicanum is a great place to go for inspiration on chapters. I would personally paint up a few marines (just the colors, no symbol yet), see what color combos you like the best and can paint the best and then go from there and see if any existing chapters match your own ideas. That is how I chose Salamanders, I could paint the green fast and it looked really nice so I then chose the chapter that matched my colors that had (in my opinion) the coolest fluff.

THE GREAT HARLEQUIN
07-09-2010, 18:53
IRON HANDS!! Lots of conversion potential.

Askil the Undecided
07-09-2010, 19:28
I'm going to offer up the advice that everyone else normally offers on almost every thread concerning an individual's army no matter how idiotic, terrible or mundane the query might be.

Do whatever you want. It's your army.

That being said, if you want to use the SW codex, paint them orange and pink and garnish with liberal use of custom conversions and Thundertoad cavalry. It's entirely your call just be prepared for people to make remarks.