PDA

View Full Version : An old blood and his carnisaur

NoxiousQubert
06-09-2010, 23:36
I love my Old Blood and I don't want to put him up. What are some strategies and items I could use to make sure he is still a force to be reckoned with on the field?

Paraelix
07-09-2010, 06:11
CarnOsaur.

HalfEvil333
07-09-2010, 08:13
I know you can still recreate the old 9 attacks build, even though Frenzy doesn't transfer from mount to rider, or rider to mount any more, and at slightly cheaper than before. He ends up lacking a ward save, which he really needs now, just because artillery hits both the rider and mount now. Something that might work is the 4+ ward save armor and the Dawn Stone. Mounted on the Carnosaur, he gets a re-rollable 1+ armor save and a 4+ ward save, and has a free hand for a two-handed weapon.

Lemonbrick
07-09-2010, 08:25
could you hide behind a passing stegadon or is the carnie to big ?
or behind teradons ?

you would only need it for a turn maybe 2 before you go to charge?

just a thought

HalfEvil333
07-09-2010, 08:30
could you hide behind a passing stegadon or is the carnie to big ?
or behind teradons ?

you would only need it for a turn maybe 2 before you go to charge?

just a thought

I'm not sure about the size of the Carnosaur model (don't have one, nor have I seen one on the field since the beginning of 8th), but since its not a Large Target, it should get cover from them, so that might work. Hiding behind a Stegg means unless they roll a 5 or 6 on the wounds, cannonballs won't bounce past it.

theorox
07-09-2010, 08:56
I'm not sure about the size of the Carnosaur model (don't have one, nor have I seen one on the field since the beginning of 8th), but since its not a Large Target, it should get cover from them, so that might work. Hiding behind a Stegg means unless they roll a 5 or 6 on the wounds, cannonballs won't bounce past it.

Large targets get cover like anybody else, except from obstacles. If more than half is covered they get hard cover. :)

Theo

HalfEvil333
07-09-2010, 09:30
Large targets get cover like anybody else, except from obstacles. If more than half is covered they get hard cover. :)

Theo

CRAP! I've been playing it wrong this whole time. Man, did they nerf the disadvantages of Large Targets.

Malorian
07-09-2010, 15:21
Use him on the flank so that the terror is a bigger effect (opponent's units should be out of general/BSB range).

As for items, just remember that your opponent will just attack the carnisaur anyway, so make the old blood offensive rather than overly defensive.

Kirasu
07-09-2010, 20:44
The only useful combo Ive found is armor of destiny, dawnstone, the tricksters other shard and a great weapon. Gives you a 1+ AS re-rollable and 4+ ward save.. You basically kill characters because you force them to reroll their ward saves

Granted old blood is like 5x worse than a slann but if I run him I only use the above combination

Dreadgrass
08-09-2010, 02:30
Possibly squeeze in the Ironcurse Icon for a 1 in 6 chance of stopping said cannonball/ stone/ flying goblin/ bowl of petunias?

Either that or the Engine of the Gods for that handy 5+ ward bubble (since your probably not taking a slann the magic can help out too)... Kroxigor screen just in case they roll that 1-2 wounds on them? Or combine both the EotG and Kroxies to double the chances of the wardsave passing (once when they hit the Kroxi's, then, IF thats failed and IF they roll a 3+ for wounds, the Carno gets a 5+ ward...

R3pr3ssor
11-09-2010, 09:50
glittering scales, Fencer's Blades, Aura of quetzl.

6 st 5, he is ws 10 and EVERYONE hits him on 6s.

only a 3+ but you cannot hit him so it doesnt matter.

HalfEvil333
11-09-2010, 10:36
glittering scales, Fencer's Blades, Aura of quetzl.

6 st 5, he is ws 10 and EVERYONE hits him on 6s.

only a 3+ but you cannot hit him so it doesnt matter.

10 pts. over the limit for magic items, unfortunately.

vizorak
11-09-2010, 11:35
10 pts. over the limit for magic items, unfortunately.

no it's exactly 100 pts.

Kirasu
11-09-2010, 17:19
Hes right, its 100 points and you have a 2+ save on a carnosaur not a 3+

However I much prefer my combo because getting shot at sucks. Yes youre really hard to hit in CC, but a 1+ rerollable save and a 4+ ward is just as tough plus youre S7 and not vulnerable to sniping as much

Sandals
11-09-2010, 17:23
he needs a ward save, or he is going to be shot to pieces. with the inbuilt scaly skin save, the heavy armour ward save is brilliant for him. problem is, that's 50 points gone.

the rest depends on what you want him to do. Dawnstone is a good option if you want him to take on characters, as are the fencers blades as WS is a big weakness of saurus. the carnosaur is good at taking on monsters, so you could tool him up for doing that too.

I also love the idea of an oldblood on a carnosaur, i think the problem with fielding him is that the slann is just soooo good. it relegates him to second lord status and with the cost of both the slann and the carnosaur it needs a big battle to use both.

HalfEvil333
13-09-2010, 04:19
no it's exactly 100 pts.

Hes right, its 100 points and you have a 2+ save on a carnosaur not a 3+

However I much prefer my combo because getting shot at sucks. Yes youre really hard to hit in CC, but a 1+ rerollable save and a 4+ ward is just as tough plus youre S7 and not vulnerable to sniping as much

You're right. For some reason I keep thinking the Glittering Scales are 10 pts. more than they are. Probably because all the other -1 to hit items in the game are 30+ pts.