PDA

View Full Version : Call to Arms

Xisor
07-03-2006, 00:02
Well, as an avid BFG fan, I'm looking at branching out a bit more. Well, my thinking is simply this: Watching Babylon 5 at the moment, and am curiously ending up feeling strangely drawn towards the Vree.

How does the game itself play, are the Vree a feasible option, does it leave me with any scope(since the NAW only have a handful of ships)? What have folks experiences been with the game? Any good?

Well, tell all and I'll listen.

Xisor

emperorpenguin
07-03-2006, 00:20
Well, as an avid BFG fan, I'm looking at branching out a bit more. Well, my thinking is simply this: Watching Babylon 5 at the moment, and am curiously ending up feeling strangely drawn towards the Vree.

How does the game itself play, are the Vree a feasible option, does it leave me with any scope(since the NAW only have a handful of ships)? What have folks experiences been with the game? Any good?

Well, tell all and I'll listen.

Xisor

Well I'm an avid fan of both BFG and A Call To Arms (ACTA)

ACTA feels very similar to (in fact I'd say largely inspired by) BFG, so you won't have difficulties in adjusting to the rules
Movement is identical to BFG, there are special orders like in BFG. Combat is a case of rolling the number of dice you have versus the target hull, very similar to BFG but actually superior because there's no time consuming gunnery chart
you roll for criticals too. fighters play a bigger role in this game though
Time to play a game is indistinguishable from a game of BFG

As for the Vree, they're certainly not the easiest to play, they're extremely agile but not the toughest or best armed. They favour a hit and run style. A fleet of Vree is feasible, altogether they have 8 different ships available plus fighters.
You could also field them as part of a combined LONAW fleet and take Abbai, Brakiri, Drazi and Raiders to help compensate in areas where the Vree are weak

I happen to love the game, I primarily play as Centauri and have done fairly well, even coming 4th in the first Mongoose tournament. I'm also a playtester for the game.

Hope that helps and if you need any more advice just ask!

oh and look at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php plenty of info and experienced gamers to ask there

asmodai_dark86
09-03-2006, 22:08
Evening

The game takes about, what, 30 minutes to learn. Theres various neuances that need a bit of investigating (repair - bah who needs repair, only killing!)

I know an ex mongoose infantry member who might have a set of the rulers around somewhere and wants rid - they still owe him for demo games from this time last year; they wont pay up strangely. Not heard much evidence that they ever did although they did seem to take on board a lot of my ideas about the scheme before they sacked me. Ahh Marc Fairmond, how you amuse me.

So yeh send me a PM, and we'll have a chat

Karhedron
10-03-2006, 21:44
A Call To Arms is an excellent game, emperorpenguin is right that the rules are similar in many ways to BFG. Personally I have found that it plays slightly faster since you don't have things the gunnery chart.

The feel of the various races from the show have been captured really well (EA are high-tech bricks, Narn are shooty bricks and Minbari are practically invisible). Vree are a nice fleet, mobile and lots of firepower but not very tough. I tend to agree that fielding them as part of a combined League fleet is probably the best way to go. But at the end of the day, play what you like.

Vree are certainly competative, especially in smaller games (they don't have any really big Warships). You could always buy a Vree fleet and then expand it with other League races later if you wanted too.

A Call to Arms is chaper than most GW games which is also pretty handy. ;) Check out the Mongoose website. There is a Vree starter fleet for only 55 which contains all the ships you will need. There is at least one of every class of Vree ship in the box. You will also need the A Call to Arms - Revised Edition which contains all the rules and also ship counters to allow you tempt other people into the game. There is also a supplement called A Sky Full of Stars, this contains some advanced rules and also ship variants to allow you to diversify your fleet.

A Call to Arms can actually be played with just the counters if you want to try different races before actually buying the minis. The counters are even valid in official tournements! :eek: Then again, most people buy the race they like the ships from rather than for winning.

Check out the forums on their website too. They are not as large as Warseer but they are just as friendly. You will find emperorpenguin and I popping up from time to time. :)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=28

emperorpenguin
10-03-2006, 23:42
Check out the forums on their website too. They are not as large as Warseer but they are just as friendly. You will find emperorpenguin and I popping up from time to time. :)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=28

Actually you'll always find me there, I practically live on those forums! :o

Morathi's Darkest Sin
25-03-2006, 22:56
How does this version compare to the one where you check off all the boxes as the ships take damage?

emperorpenguin
25-03-2006, 23:18
How does this version compare to the one where you check off all the boxes as the ships take damage?

way faster! that was B5 Wars which was akin to Starfleet Command.
In comparison A Call to Arms is very like BFG in size, complexity and speed

Morathi's Darkest Sin
27-03-2006, 19:08
yeah I really like B5 Wars, my mate and I brought everything that came out, but when I moved with my family up here to Suffolk, I had more of the GW style stuff and let him have all the B5 Wars and Battletech as there where established gamers nearby.

I love BFG, but B5 is my fave space universe for space combat, even more so than Star Trek/Wars e.t.c and I've been looking for a good replacement for B5 Wars and this looks promising. Hopefully my wife will give it a go as well as she really likes BFG.

The other bonus of course was there was a lack of models around while we where buying B5 wars and Mongoose seems to have the lot... Hmm.. Narn. *drool*

Quick question anyone know of a place in the UK that does the full range via Mail order.. I'm quite interested but fear shipping from US and Mongoose direct would make any long term purchases too expensive.

erion
27-03-2006, 20:01
Mongoose HQ is located in Swindon, UK. Fear not ordering from them.

I've been thinking about ACTA as well, but recently the lot around here has resurrected BFG, so I'm not about to start pushing another Fleet Battles game while the FLGS is running one.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
28-03-2006, 10:05
Thanks for that, I'm a little surprised it's in the UK though.. but all in all, great news. *off to ponder starting order.*

scottb
05-04-2006, 16:37
I was thinking about getting ACTA, I am a huge fan of B5W but I ran a campaign with 3 people and there was hardly any fighting because it took to long to do a single turn grrr... Oh well time to order ACTA, trying to get my gaming club playing something other than GW games heh.

Karhedron
05-04-2006, 20:16
Quick question anyone know of a place in the UK that does the full range via Mail order.. I'm quite interested but fear shipping from US and Mongoose direct would make any long term purchases too expensive.
There are several places I know of that do Mail order. Liesure Games in London stocks the full range and I believe Orcs Nest do as well. I order from Table Top Games in Reading since they are local to me plus they sometimes do discounts on postage if you are placing a big order.

Or you can just buy from Mongoose direct. :)

As a side note, some of the molds for the models are quite old and Mongoose's quality control is not the best so you may get the odd miscast model. Do not worry about this as Mongoose make up for it with a first-rate customer support service. They will replace any miscasts without hesitation so if you get any dodgy models, don't panic, just give them a call.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
19-04-2006, 07:56
Thanks Karhedron, I have one Sharlin which seems a little wierd but I'm going to take a look to see if I can put it together first.

As to figures, got my first Q'Guan together, damn they look really nice up close, and have done about seven Centauri craft and another five Narn.

Planning to start painting this weekend.

emperorpenguin
19-04-2006, 14:35
I painted my brother's G'Quan, decided to go for the black and grey pattern seen on the Narn ground forces rather than the standard red and black. Looks really good.

Nearly there with my Centauri fleet. The gold is difficult to get flat though, but purple is a joy to paint!