PDA

View Full Version : multiple dark elf heroes

ROCKY
07-09-2010, 19:45
i was wodering if in fact lords are even necessary. I was thinking of running 2lvl2 wizards (one metal the other shadow) one with a scroll and the other with power scroll. as for the fighty heroes: bsb with crimson death and armor of darkness (3S6 attacks with hatred and 1+armor save) and the general will be a master with blood armor and pendant of khalthi with a GW. S6 attacks with reverse ward and every wound i do my armor improves up to 1+. so as u can see cheap and effective. i normally however run a lvl4 wizard with dark magic, scroll, and a 4+ward, a bsb (mentioned above) and lastly i take a dread lord with assorted gear.

Tae
07-09-2010, 22:08
I'm assuming you're playing 2,500 then (given the above don't fit in 2k) :p

Personally I think you are somewhat silly to take a Master over a Dreadlord as a general. For 60 points you get +1WS (meaning WS3 hits you on 5's), +1W, +1A and, possibly most importantly, +1Ld. Add to that you can take an extra 50 points of items.

Honestly your general character does seem a bit 'tacked on' in terms of his equipment. Blood Armour alone is never a good thing. Sure you have the Pendant but I would be really concerned about him going up against core troops. The vast majority will be hitting you on 4's, wounding you on 4's and you'll save on 6+ followed by 1,2,3. And when you're facing 6/9 attacks, that wont take long to go down. And when you give him a GW he wont even get the chance to boost his save first.

Ultimately yes, you can do a DE list with only heroes. The big question is - why would you want to when the Lord choices are so much better.

Malorian
07-09-2010, 22:11
Well one thing that can be said for having multiple heros rather than a lord, is that if you get a character sniped by a death spell then you'll still have characters left.

And a master with the pendant will hold up enemy lords just as easily as a dreadlord.

meneroth
08-09-2010, 04:07
what about a lord sorceress (cause i think its necessary for todays game to have a lvl 4) and then having a couple masters running around? they are pretty useful to lend weight fairly cheaply to spearmen and corsairs and the other s3 units we've got.

and blood armour is great, sure it doesnt work right away, but remember your going first against most every other infantry. granted taking a great weapon screws it, so i suggest going with something else, like the crimson death on that guy. pretty much promises 3 kills, giving a 2+ save to the guy right away, then put the pendant on a different guy, more geared to slowing down lords.

sulla
08-09-2010, 07:20
Well one thing that can be said for having multiple heros rather than a lord, is that if you get a character sniped by a death spell then you'll still have characters left.

And a master with the pendant will hold up enemy lords just as easily as a dreadlord.Not a dreadlord with the pendant and crown of command...:evilgrin:

But the main reason not to do all heroes in DE is that there are usually better ways to spend your hero points on, like sorceresses and cauldrons.

Fighter heroes are fairly worthless in DE units. Pretty hard to keep them alive with the current attack allocation rules.

Althwen
08-09-2010, 08:48
Not a dreadlord with the pendant and crown of command...:evilgrin:

This isn't funny. That thing happened to me yesterday... he tied up a unit of 20 chaos warriors and my BSB for the entire battle! He only lost 1 wound in the proces and killed my champion, BSB, and about 3 warriors. But most importantly, he neutralised about 550 points of my 2,5k army. ******** Dark elves, grumble grumble...

sulla
08-09-2010, 09:41
This isn't funny. That thing happened to me yesterday... he tied up a unit of 20 chaos warriors and my BSB for the entire battle! He only lost 1 wound in the proces and killed my champion, BSB, and about 3 warriors. But most importantly, he neutralised about 550 points of my 2,5k army. ******** Dark elves, grumble grumble...

:D Goes both ways. Ditch the CW for marauders hordes of 50 w/GW and MoK plus a pair of hellcannons. Not much in the DE list can easily deal with either. So you've got one unit held up by the unkillable, unbreakable dreadlord, but nothing in the DE army can deal with anything else you bring... WoC are not a weak army by any stretch of the imagination in 8th.

Althwen
08-09-2010, 10:09
NO, you are right. They aren't unkillable for WoC and I was trying out an experimental army where I brought only 1 hellcannon and a Daemon Prince just for fun. Turned out te be draw anyway since we both had enough standards left at the end of the battle.

Tae
08-09-2010, 19:47

And a master with the pendant will hold up enemy lords just as easily as a dreadlord.

So take both?

And trust me, having used Cold Ones reguarly enough, I can well appreciate the extra +1 Ld a Lord brings to the party.