PDA

View Full Version : 3000pt Wood Elves (new to Fantasy)

Biff Gunhed
08-09-2010, 10:12
Hi everyone, I'm a 40K player who's just getting in to Fantasy. I bought a second-hand Wood Elf army and would like some feedback on the army list I've put together using the models. My main opponents will be Dwarfs and Vampire Counts.
Please let me know what you think, and if I've made any rookie errors.

Lords (20.4%)

Spellweaver (330)
Level 4, Lore of Beasts. Lamentation of Despairs, Glamourweave, Power Stone.

Highborn (281)
Alter Kindred. Light armour, shield. Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amaranthine Brooch.

Heroes (8.6%)

Noble (142)
Battle Standard. Light armour. Asyendi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow, Enchanted Shield.

Branchwraith (115)
Cluster of Radiants, Murder of Spites.

Core (35.4%)

12 Glade Guard (162)
Musician, standard bearer.

10 Glade Guard (138)

10 Glade Riders (267)

10 Glade Riders (267)

9 Dryads (108)
Branchwraith goes here.

10 Dryads (120)

Special (18%)

12 Wardancers (223)
Musician.

3 Warhawk Riders (120)

3 Treekin (195)

Rare (17.6%)

6 Waywatchers (144)

Treeman (285)

Great Eagle (50)

Great Eagle (50)

That's pretty much all the models I have. I think ultimately I'll get more Glade Guard, but this list should give me at least a taste of most of the units. What do you think?

bluemage
08-09-2010, 15:29
If you haven't played much fantasy before, I would recomment you play some smaller point games. They'll go by much faster and will help you learn the rules. As for improving your lists, I recommend larger units of treekin while fighting vampire counts. Unfortunatly dwarves are a lousy match up now. Our best combat units are treekin and treeman, which are easy points for runic cannons and bolt throwers. Your best bet against them is to take lots of dryads and glade guard.

AM1640
08-09-2010, 17:58
Hi Biff, welcome to fantasy and the wood elves. Hee are some points to consider
Spellweaver: lamentation of Despairs- this item sounds good but it only has a 2% kill rate I would trade it for a dispel scroll. Glamourweave- please give this to the Alter Kindred Highborn- he needs it more. Lore of Beasts - I am not sure of your playstyle but I would recommend Lore of Life, regeneration, healing wounds, bringing back dead models, increases to Toughness. it is a superior list. (but feel free to try Beasts).
Highborn- Alter Kindred with Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins. I use this build with the Glamourweave to keep him alive and always shooting. Target high armour value targets. Don't send him in to combat he will die.
Noble - having the HoDA and and Asyendi's bane so that he can use it is interesting. With only a 4+ armour save make sure he stays far from combat, magic, stiff winds,etc.
Branch Wraith - Dryads are okay in combat but not great even if lead by a character. I would recommend a Spellsinger for more magic or a Wardancer Noble for more combat power.
Glade guard - Combine units into 20 strong, give 1 unit the Banner of Eternal Flame.
Dryads - Make sure to keep them at least 5 wide when moving around the board so that if they get in to combat you have lots of front rank attacks. With I6 you can let some things charge you and not worry. Do not charge a fully ranked up enemy unit in the front with these guys unless you have some cunning plan for sacrificing them.
Wardancers - Keep at least 6 wide in the front rank, don't frontal charge anything. Use them to deter a charge, charge in a flank, take a table quarter, mop up heavily damaged units.
War Hawks - Attack war machines, Lone mages (not Vampires).
Way Watchers - Killing blow is nice but it will not win games or wipe out enemies. Don't rely on it.
Great Eagles - War machines and small units of weak troops.
Treekin and Treeman - Excellent combat troops, try keep combine their charges and remember you strike last with I2. Extra treesinging is handy to move a tree in front of blood knights of a cannon.

ivrg
08-09-2010, 22:41
It seems to me that you have put a little bit of everything in this list.
Wardancers are not as good in 8th as they used to be because the enemy always strike back att you. Sure they pack a punch on the charge but that is all. They then start dwindling down and are easy CR for your opponent.

Treekins rock now in 8th. 6 treekins in one units is 18 S5 attack on the enemy.

With the stupid removal of forest stalker rule the waywatchers are overprised.

A treeman is easier to kill now thx to better warmachines.

Start at 1500 pts instead.

Biff Gunhed
08-09-2010, 23:02
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have put a bit of everything in, since those were the models I had :)
I shall take on your comments and work on a smaller list to start with.

Biff Gunhed
09-09-2010, 09:10
OK, here's my first attempt at a 1500pt list.

Lords (20%)

Spellweaver (310)
Level 4, Lore of Life. Ironcurse Icon, Glamourweave, Power Stone.

Heroes (16%)

Noble (142)
Battle Standard. Light armour. Asyendi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow, Enchanted Shield.

Branchwraith (90)
Cluster of Radiants.

Core (44%)

10 Glade Guard (138)

10 Glade Guard (138)

8 Glade Riders (219)

14 Dryads (168)
Branchwraith goes here.

Special (13%)