PDA

View Full Version : In the Company of Redmaw: a Space Wolves Army Log

Svorlrik
08-09-2010, 10:38
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start my own project log as a way to encourage me to actually paint a full army for use on the table top.

I've tried a shared plog before and it didn't work out for me, but whilst I'm inspired and forcing myself to find time to paint models, I thought I would document my epic struggle on warseer!

I'm trying to go for an army that makes sense as far as background is concerned, but will also hold its own on the tabletop.

Firstly I wrote an army list and playtested it with a friends marine models and after some tinkering, I am fairly happy with the result.

Here is the list as it stands, modeling pics will be uploaded this afternoon!

HQ

Wolf Lord
Bran Redmaw with Terminator Armour, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Chainfist, Storm Shield, Saga of the Bear

Rune Priest

Jorek Stormgaze with Jump Pack, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Bolt Pistol, Runic Weapon

Elites

Wolf Guard
Torgarl Mjodbane with Bike, Frost Blade

Olaf Keenblade with Terminator Armour,
Assault Cannon, Chainfist

Kjel Wyrmslay with Terminator Armour,
Combi-melta, Chainfist

Svorlrik Thunderfang with Terminator Armour,
2x Wolf Claws

Hengnir Scar-eye with Terminator Armour, Storm Shield, Power Weapon

Ulfarr Ironpelt with Terminator Armour,
Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer

Alarik Icehowl with Terminator Armour,
Storm Bolter, Power Fist
+ Drop Pod

Troops

8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen
Drop Pod

8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen
Drop Pod

Fast Attack

4 Swiftclaw Bikers with power fist +1 Attack Bike with Heavy Bolter

9 Skyclaws with power fist, mark of the wulfen

(The characters in the army are coloured to match with the pack that they run with, for example the Rune Priest leads the Skyclaws.)

Svorlrik
08-09-2010, 10:39
I realise that the army list should really be posted in a different category, but I wanted it here so that I could tick off my progress and show what was coming next!

Slaaaaaanesh
08-09-2010, 10:45
Dude I think your log is in the right place, a lot of people make a list of units to tick off as they complete them. Looking forward to pics mate.

Slaaaaaanesh

Svorlrik
08-09-2010, 11:50
The army is built as a standard 1500 point list, but I do intend to expand it and make some Ice themed terrain later (but one thing at a time!)

As I can't get my hands on a decent camera until this evening, heres a blurry pic to give an idea of how big the army will be.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/Army.jpg

The Wolf Guard terminator in the front is what I'm currently working on.

Svorlrik
08-09-2010, 15:29
Okay, I got my hands on a good camera. At the moment im still constructing the army, but I wanted to get ahead and paint some of the models to see how they would turn out.

This is my first attempt at getting a colour for the armour that I would be happy with.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1526.jpg

This is a shadow grey basecoat, with asurmen blue shading and space wolves grey highlighting. It came out darker than I would have liked.

For the next model I used a 50:50 mix of shadow grey and space wolves grey to use as the basecoat colour, and although it doesn't show very well in the next pictures, It has come out a lot lighter and more to my liking.

So here is the first of the wolf guard, he's still WIP, I need to add details here and there, aswell as all the correct markings and lastly base him using some snow effect.

Svorlrik Thunderfang with Terminator Armour, 2x Wolf Claws

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1527.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1528.jpg

The head is slightly customised, using a blood claw head and adding some braids from a grey hunter beard onto his sideburns + scoring a scar onto his forehead.

It may be cool to not wear a helmet, but you're gonna get shrapnel in your face!

PrimeMinisterSinister
08-09-2010, 15:31
Good work on the cloak. Looks real nice, son.

Svorlrik
09-09-2010, 12:31
Thanks sinister, I'm always looking for c&c. checked out your cloud giants too, really cool scheme on them, original colour for marines!

Anyone used the space wolf transfers from forgeworld? was wondering if they would be worth it for Bran Redmaw's Great Company badges.

Svorlrik
10-09-2010, 09:41
This morning, a new box of wolf guard arrived, so I now have everything I need to build my interpretation of Bran Redmaw.

Wolf Lord
Bran Redmaw with Terminator Armour, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Chainfist, Storm Shield, Saga of the Bear

Bran is described as being closer to his wolf side than most wolf lords, and apparently it is rumoured that he goes full-on wulfen during battles.

For a practical gaming approach and to look cool, I'm going to make some form of huge chainblade to represent the chainfist (either an broad bladed chainsword or a chainaxe).

Having him in terminator armour is like a personal leash for himself, so that when he turns wulfen, he doesnt just run off like a crazy fool. I've used saga of the bear because it stops me getting ganked by a lowly squaddie with a power fist (or a unit of thunder hammer termies that everyone seems to have.) I will explain the fact he has Saga of the Bear by him generally becoming tougher and feeling less pain when becoming a wulfen.

The only thing is now, im stuck on how to convert a termintor into something a bit wulfen like. I could always just represent him in his normal marine form with maybe some fancy tatoos or face paint / markings on his armour, but I wouldn't mind having a go at some form of feral looking termie.

Any thoughts anyone?

BrotherTearz
10-09-2010, 14:45
What about taking a some what "Hulk" approach to him and have him sort of bursting out of his termie armour into the Wulfen form.

So hair bursting out from all parts?

PrimeMinisterSinister
10-09-2010, 15:37
Bare arms?
Ork bits with human hands?
How about chains or something so he can be restrained?
James Hetfeild Mutton Chops?

Svorlrik
10-09-2010, 15:57
Hetfield mutton chops, with 'of wolf and man playing as he bursts out of his armour hulk style. definately gonna need to get my hands on a sculpting tool to pull this one off.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of the wulfen minis to see what I can do with that.

BrotherTearz
10-09-2010, 16:02
Hetfield mutton chops, with 'of wolf and man playing as he bursts out of his armour hulk style. definately gonna need to get my hands on a sculpting tool to pull this one off.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of the wulfen minis to see what I can do with that.

There is a member on here who has a few, sells them in bulks of 5 for 30, or atleast that is what he offerd me.

Jaer
10-09-2010, 20:00
Redmaw conversion sounds like a great idea, inspiration enough to get back into 40k myself! Would be great to see a squad of these guys painted up now that you've got the basic colours figured out. Think I have some yellow ink that you mentioned you needed. (I also really want to see the finished Redmaw shoulder pad detail). Get working!

-Jaer

GraveHound
10-09-2010, 20:54
Looking quite nice already!
Lil' question though, how come most people start painting their armies with like their HQ or elites? I mean, you're gonna get better at painting your scheme as you go along so why not save 'em till after maybe you've done 2 regular squads?

keep 'em coming

Svorlrik
11-09-2010, 20:32
@BrotherTearz - that's a little big for my budget, im hoping to snap up a single mini on ebay. Redmaw himself is on hold for the moment, but I'll continue to work on the army.

@GraveHound - For me its the excitement of painting one of the heroes. And the fact that I was visiting a GW for the day and wanted a single fig I could sit and enjoy painting.

@Jaer - yes please for the ink, I can start working on the markings then.

The army list is changing slightly, I'll edit it once I've re-written it properely. It's mainly some equipment changes for the wolf guard, one less skyclaw and a wolf totem for one of the grey hunter squads (as I want to have a go at painting one!)

Had a day off today, so have used it to build build build (as a lot of my stuff is still without arms/heads)

Also did some spraycoating and have begun painting one of the Grey Hunter squads + Wolf Guard Olaf Keenblade who leads them. They are still short of one member as I need to get my hands on a space marine banner arm for the final Grey Hunter.

Sorry for the blurry pic, it's the bad camera again:

Svorlrik
12-09-2010, 10:13
A quick update here, managed to finish a Grey Hunter last night. (Aside from basing and great company marking.)

After taking a photo of him I've realised what a mess one of his legs is, and that his shoulder pad could do with touching up. The camera never lies!

Going to try and complete at least one of these a day from the basecoated batch in the last pic.

C&C welcome as always.

PrimeMinisterSinister
12-09-2010, 17:49
The beakie with the chainsword looks really good now that he's finished.
I'd suggest trying to make snow bases for them. They'd look sexy-fine on cracked ice or just blown snow.

Alles, nur keine 1!
12-09-2010, 21:07
Cool Wolves so far!

You asked about the decals from FW. I can fully recommend them! But you should use the right method (gloss varnish, Micro Set, Micro Sol, gloss varnish) to apply them. I bought 6 sheets for my great company of Gunnar Redmoon. Where do you live? Maybe i could send you some of your great company...

www.allesnurkeine1.blogspot.com

Alles, nur keine 1!
12-09-2010, 22:48
Somehow my reply didn't show up. Next try...

Nice wolves!

You asked about the transfers from FW. I can totally recommend them. I bought 6 sheets for my great company of gunnar redmoon. I'll post some pics on my blog soon.

Maybe i could send you some for Bran Redmaw. Where do you live?

www.allesnurkeine1.blogspot.com

Svorlrik
14-09-2010, 00:11
@sinister I definitely intend to put them on some form of snow or ice base. I've seen a nice sculpted base on eBay that I think I will use for bran once I've built him.

@alles That's good news, I had a look at your website, although I can't speak german, your wolf conversions looked very good. What is micro sol / set? I've never really used transfers before. I live in the UK, so I'm not sure how that would work out for postage?

I've got 2 days off incoming, so I plan to get more grey hunters completed as well as finish building all my wolf guard.

Alles, nur keine 1!
14-09-2010, 12:35
Thanks! I'll change to english on my website.

No problem. Send me an PM with your complete name and adress and I'll send you some transfers next week. I will also do a quick tutorial about using micro sol / set on my website next week.

Svorlrik
14-09-2010, 22:13
There's no need to change it just because of me! I really liked your wolf priest terminator, I've never seen one of those converted before. I'll definately have a look at your tutorial if you make an english post.

Do you have paypal? I can send some money to cover the postage / cost of transfers if you do, I'll PM you about it.

Aedes
14-09-2010, 23:17
Very nice army here!
Curious how your Redmaw conversion turns out in the end...

Alles, nur keine 1!
15-09-2010, 21:34
Hi Rob!

Transfers are on the way. Should be enough even for future expansions (60 PA, 15 TDA). Plus "the wolf that stalks between stars" for your rune priests, wolf priests etc. (PA, TDA). Don't want money, glad to help.

I'm not gonna change to english because of you. I'm turning 36 on christmas eve and i thought it would be good to freshen up my english skills before it is too late. If you haven't seen the video in the latest post on my blog: please watch it! I don't want to be like that guy...

Svorlrik
15-09-2010, 22:05
@Aedes Thanks! I'm looking forward to making him now, It's gonna be my treat once I've finished painting a squad.

@Alles Hahaha I watched the video just now, brilliant! Thank you so much for the transfers, it will be a real help, they will last me a long while I'm sure!

I've actually managed to finish 2 more grey hunters (aside from decals and bases) this afternoon. I'll post some more WIP pics of modeling and painting tommorow afternoon, but for now I must sleep.

Svorlrik
16-09-2010, 22:10
Bad day in work, so not much progress made today when I came home.

As promised I have some pictures of the grey hunters I've been working on, can't get decent lighting this evening so I've had to use the flash.

At least my free-hand is getting neater, im finding it easier to paint the pack markings lately.

Svorlrik
26-09-2010, 14:09
Not much progress has been made this week, mainly because of late shifts in work combined with Halo and the Deathwatch Core Rulebook arriving.

The decals that Alles sent me have arrived, so thanks very much for that! I've ordered some micro set / sol so that I can apply them.

I've been experimenting with my bases to make them snowy, with some rocks scattered to make a cold, harsh looking landscape. I'm aiming to get back on track this week!

Svorlrik
02-10-2010, 12:12
Fairly big update today.

Had a large game of apocalypse with the space wolves that I have made. It was brilliant, I was allied with 2 other Wolf players, Iron Hands and Blood Angels, fighting every kind of enemy that the Imperium has. It was a victory for the forces of order and a great night.

Firstly, I wanted to show that I have managed to apply one of the transfers successfully onto Svorlrik Thunderfang using Micro Set / Micro Sol. It is ever-so-slightly lop sided, but will suffice!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1539.jpg

I can't thank Alles enough for sending me the great company decals. They'll really bring my army together.

Next up is the plastic work for Bran Redmaw. There will be a lot of greenstuffing to add more hair and braids, as well as a large wolf pelt over the top of his armour to add to his stature. I've used the most canine face from the space wolves plastic the fangs and jawline help add to its wolfiness.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1540.jpg

His mighty chainblade will be used as a chainfist in game, or a Legion Relic in games of apocalypse.

The following three pictures are of the rest of the wolf guard (except Ulfarr Ironpelt, who is still yet to be made)

Alles, nur keine 1!
02-10-2010, 19:53
Very nice! I'm happy to see some progress.

I promised to do a tutorial for applying transfers with micro set/sol but real life got in the way. So I'll do a quick one here:

1. Gloss varnish the area where the transfer is going to be applied to (they will adhere to a smooth surface better and the transparent film will disappear better). Make sure the gloss varnish is dry before applying the transfer

2. Dip the transfer in Micro Set and place it on your working area.

3. Slop some Micro Set onto the area where the transfer is going to be applied.

4. Place the transfer onto your miniature and position it. After some minutes gently dab a tissue over the transfer to flatten it and to get rid of excess Micro Set.

5. Wait for half an hour and then apply some Micro Sol and let it dry completely. If there is still some wrinkling apply more Micro Sol.

6. Seal the transfer by applying gloss varnish the next day. After this has dryed paint on some matte varnish to get rid of the shine. Now you should have transfers that look like painted on.

Svorlrik
17-10-2010, 14:08
Hi again everyone.

It's be at least a week since I last posted. I tried my army list out against the new dark eldar in a GW the other day. (We proxied quite a bit of DE stuff). Although my lord and wolf guard managed to inflict some damage, I should have played more cautiously as I ended up getting slaughtered. Live and learn I guess, I might tweak my list/models slightly after this.

As far as progress on the project log, I've nearly finished painting Olaf Keenblade and have started sculpting Bran Redmaw's pelt this morning. (Currently waiting for it to harden a bit).

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1544.jpg

Also, this arrived!!! Even though it isn't in my list, I couldn't resist getting my hands on such an awesome model.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1546.jpg

Space wolves venerable dread with plasma cannon :) I intend to take my wolf collection to 3000+ anyway, for apocalypse games against my regular opponent. I'll probably use him as Bjorn in some games, to add some variety to my army.

EDIT: I've attached a terrible diagram of how I intend to continue modeling Bran Redmaw

JackDaw
18-10-2010, 15:50
Redmaw's looking very nice so far mate - I actually really like how that massive chainblade is turning out and the green stuffing is looking good fur-wise. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out.

Svorlrik
20-10-2010, 23:51
Thanks JackDaw, this is my first time doing any sculpting with green stuff, I've only used it to fill gaps before.

I'm struggling to get the back of the cloak looking as furry as the rest maybe if I have another go tommorow wish fresh eyes I'll get it right.

I realiseIive strayed quite far from my initial idea of making him look like a werewolf. I was contemplating putting the storm shield wedged into the ground and giving him a wolfy left hand but I'm not too sure now.

I plan to make his face hairier, and then paint him with dark skin tone and animal-like eyes, I'm hoping that will give a good effect.

Svorlrik
19-11-2010, 10:10
Me again. I Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd post to show the progress made.

Not much painting has been done, but I've found the time to do some building. The army is beginning to go a lot further than the original list. Here is another army WIP to show what's been built so far. (Theres so much you can do after getting 2 battleforces, the amount of wolf bits I have is brilliant.)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1551.jpg

This army has definately rekindled my love for building models. As I had been playing mostly fantasy up until this point, I found building to be quite a chore. I'm really enjoying kit bashing the wolf bits with the other marine kits, hence the reason I've started on a pack of Long Fangs.

Bran Redmaw is now complete. I'm pretty happy with the way he's turned out, even if its not quite as feral as I originally planned. I'll paint his skin and hair/fur the same way the wulfen are painted, including yellow animal eyes.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1553.jpg

Here's some extra pics comparing him to another terminator, as well as some wolf guard.

Two days off in a row! Woohoo. Time for me to start finishing off these squads!

Jaer
23-11-2010, 19:44
I love the Redmaw model, amazing. The chain-blade is such a good way of getting a chainfist on a Wolf Lord without it looking ****. Can't wait to see his bodyguard unit painted up, any chance of a look at the future Apoc list? Just to see where this is headed!

Svorlrik
04-01-2011, 18:38
I haven't really written a list for apocalypse yet. So far my army stands at what is listed above, plus a long fang pack in a razorback as well as the venerable dread and njal stormcaller. I have just completed constructing the army and have undercoated a bunch of them.

I've been having a serious mental block when it comes to painting th models as there were quite a few models I hadn't finished building. Now that it's all constructed I can get ahead with my painting!

Svorlrik
05-02-2011, 14:38
Had to get my hands on one of those shiney Storm Ravens. I'll be calling it the Crow of Fenris. If anyone can translate that to fenrisian from any of the fluff, that would be awesome. I've been calling it Crae Fenryka for the time being.

Just finished putting the main body of it together and now have this afternoon to build another pack of grey hunters, a pack of wolf scouts and a lone wolf. Once built this will bring my army to exactly 3000 points (using the dreadnought as Bjorn) for an Apocalypse game on tuesday against 1500 points of Sanguinary Guard and 1500 points of an Iron Hands Vulkan list.

Family photo!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/DSCF1576.jpg

Still gotta finish that Grey Hunter squad, only 2 more to go!

Haven't built the pilot for the StormRaven yet, I'm either gonna kitbash the Techmarine pilot parts with a Space Wolf chestpiece to make an Iron Priest or just use Blood Claw parts like when Lukas the Trickster stole a Thunderhawk for kicks. Any thoughts?

Svorlrik
06-02-2011, 20:11
Fresh from the forges of Asaheim, I give you Mjol Onn-Ax, my lone wolf.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/robtoz/LoneWolf.jpg

Unfortunately his pose is too similar to Bran Redmaw's. I couldn't get the other Thunderhammer arm to work for me and because I wanted him shouting, I've also used the same head as I have on Bran. To try and make it less obvious I've had a go at sculpting a beard on him and swapped his braid for a longer one. I'm hoping once Bran is painted like a wulfen and this guy has a fiery red beard that they won't look as similar.

I'm really trying hard to keep everyone looking individual, without using repeats of bare heads. (Except for the various skyclaw / swiftclaws, who are too short in the tooth to know any better, all sporting the same mohawks and spikey hair.)

I've not tried a lone wolf yet on the tabletop, and only really made him for using in my larger 3000 point force. Does anyone have good experiences they could share?

Hopefully he'll earn himself tabletop victories worthy of a saga, or die trying at least!!

Jaer
06-02-2011, 22:09
Whole Army is looking great, also like the lone wolf, i'd like to see you sculpt some pelt hanging from his belt as it might bulk him further and add to his 'hard to kill' factor.

GhoulStars
12-02-2011, 10:33
Awesome army my friend, and very fun to play against, i like your wolf lord

although i think lilith liked him more :P

(ps: let me know if you want some DE heads to mount on things)

Svorlrik
12-02-2011, 13:26
Thanks, I really enjoyed playing Dark Eldar, it's refreshing to battle against something new and different, especially as you have really interesting unit's I've not seen before!

Lilith is a total b!tch to fight against, she really chews up space marines.

I'm not one for mounting heads on things, but I have a feeling that your Dark Eldar would want some wolf heads, of which I have plenty spare!

Ironfang_Thunderwolf
05-07-2011, 17:16
Dude, your Bran Redmaw looks sick!!! Its a shame i didn't get here sooner, i would have suggested an ungor head from the fantasy beastmen for his feral/wulfen head. i use em for my wulfen. love the doubled up chainsword. Imperial Armor 11 is gonna have Bran and his company. Word is there might be two models and two profiles for him. one to represent him as normal, and another once he goes wulfen, respectively. Keep up the good work...

Svorlrik
05-07-2011, 19:39
Thanks for the kind words! I really intend to update this plog soon as I've finally got a decent camera in my aett. It's pretty cool that Bran is in the new imperial armour, but I fear it may make mine a little redundant :-( maybe I'll change him to one of the other wolf lords, but I really like the symbol of the bloodied hunter.

For anyone interested this is how my collection stands at the moment (the things that are built):

3 packs of grey hunters 8 strong each.
Wolf guard termies and squad leaders
Wolf lord
Wolf Priest
2 Rune Priests + Njal
Canis Wolfborn finecast with magnetised arms for weapon swaps
Pack of skyclaws
Pack of swift claws
Pack of scouts
A stormraven
A las plas razorback
A twin las razorback
A rhino
Pack of 6 long fangs with missiles
Lone wolf terminator
Forge World Dread

I've mixed up a basecoat colour that I'm happy with now, pics soon!