PDA

View Full Version : WoC Tournament Lord

GreySeerZ
08-09-2010, 12:04
The Rules:

"Each player will be allowed only one lord level character in the campaign, representing the commander of his army. This Lord choice is essentially a special character, and he will not change from game to game. If he is used in a battle, he must be taken with exactly the same magic items, mount, etc. Each player will need a token to represent which of his armies the Lord is currently with. It can start with any of his armies, and during a player’s movement phase, he can move his Lord to any of his armies. Otherwise, the character moves along with the army he is with. If the army the Lord is in gets into a battle, the player may choose to use the Lord character in the game if he wishes. If the character is used, points are paid for him as normal, and he uses up a character slot. If the character is with an army that gets completely Massacred, the character is captured or killed on a roll of a 1-2. 3-4 cant be used for one fight(that he could have been in ). 5-6 nothing."

Basically I need a lord that can put out some hurt and swing battles in my favor. There are two obvious choices. The Khorne Jugger Lord or the Disc Lord. I will be facing Daemons of Chaos (Fatweaver/Bloodthirster+Bloodcrushers), Vampire Counts, Empire(gunline/magic) and Skaven(gunline/stormvermin) at 2.5k to 3k points. So here are the contestants:

Lords
1. Chaos Lord of Khorne (385):
MoK
Juggernaut
Armor of Damnation
The Other Tricksters Shard
Dragonbane Gem
Fencer's Blades

- A Survivability load-out which focuses on denying attacks from enemy characters. I am doubtful that anyone will take weapons that ignore armor saves, however with WS 10 and Armor of Damnation The lord may survive several turns in combat with a bloodthirster, and will be untouched by most units (including the likely hordes) due to being hit on rerolled 5+

2. Chaos Lord of Khorne (385):
MoK
Juggernaut
Sword of Bloodshed
Dragonhelm
Talisman of Endurance

- A Slaughter build giving the lord 9 attacks in close combat with some flaming protection and a 5+ ward

3. Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord (450):
MoT
Disc of Tzeentch
Lvl 4
Book of Ashur
Enchanted Shield
Talisman of Protection
Conjoined Homunculus
Stream of Corruption

- Caster build with 1+/5+. Basically a level 6 with Ashur. Stream for cannon/flank hunting. Very mobile.

4. Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord (445):
MoT
Disc of Tzeentch
Lvl 4
Enchanted Shield
Blood of Tzeentch
Talisman of Preservation
Biting Blade
Conjoined Homunculus
Stream of Corruption

- Survival build (1+/3+) with some casting potential (blood, conjoin etc). Extremely hard to kill but not necessarily going to put out the damage to ensure his survival. Plus ToP would probably be better on my BSB.

Conclusion
Right now I am leaning towards the Khorne Lorde for guaranteed damage output. I can always take some Lvl 2 sorcerers for magic defense and he would help me swing combats against hordes with my smaller more elite force. I am not 100% positive on any of these loadouts, so if someone wants to offer a new build I am all ears. Thanks!

_dandaman_
08-09-2010, 13:21
For a tournament, to me there's only 2 really competative builds.

Sorcerer Lord
- MoT
- Disk
- Talisman of Preservation
- Blood of Tzneetch
- Enchanted Shield
- Bloodcurdling Roar

This guy is a beast! +5 to cast, virtually immune to miscast, +1/ ++3, can snipe heavily armored units, and mobile.

Chaos Lord
- MoK
- Jugger
- Helm of Many Eyes
- Rending Sword
- Charmed Shield
- Stream

Very capable combat lord, gets rerolls against almost everything, lots of attacks, and a +2 ward if he gets cannon sniped.

Hope this helps;

Dan

GreySeerZ
08-09-2010, 13:36
I like both builds. Although the 3+ ward is great for the sorc, wouldn't it be better to protect my BSB? The fact that your Lord only dies if you army is massacred made me want to make my lord as deadly as possible. I feel that the Book of Ashur(+6 to cast/+5 to dispel) would help boost his power, also meaning less dice rolled, hence less likely chance of miscast (unless I'm gating, in which case miscast/IF wouldn't necessarily be that bad).

Also I do not see how the Khorne lord has a +2 ward against shooting with these items, although maybe I'm missing something:

Chaos Lord
- MoK
- Jugger
- Helm of Many Eyes
- Rending Sword
- Charmed Shield
- Stream

Althwen
08-09-2010, 13:45
He means the first hit suffered has a 2++ due to Charmed shield.

GreySeerZ
08-09-2010, 13:47
Ah, ok, my bad. I thought it was enchanted shield. With the amount of cannons/warp lightning cannons, I dunno if ignoring first hit will save him that much longer. I was hopeing to hide him behind trolls and rush him to combat asap. And avoiding the first hit when facing a bloodthirster...I don't know how much that will do. I guess the first build I posted was really an anti daemon build since I believe that will be the hardest army to face

CmdrLaw
08-09-2010, 15:05
What about the item that gives regen and the dragon helm for a 4+ regen and 2+ ward against the fire that might prevent it.

Gaargod
08-09-2010, 15:24
That's 70pts of protection though. Which is... a fair chunk let's be honest.

To be honest, if its a tournament, take a lv4 on a disc. For arcane, take puppet/a scroll/+1 spell/blood of Tz. With a 1+/3++ (its worth it), he's extremely hard to kill and will happily massacre stuff all day.

Chaos Lords are nice and all, but a) you're WoC. If you need more kills, you're doing it wrong and b) exalted heroes are cheaper and hit almost as hard, whereas lv4s are a huge step up from lv2s.

Da Black Gobbo
08-09-2010, 15:51
For a defensive lord get father of blades, MoN, and the armour that make succesfull hits to be re-rolled, enemy has -1 WS to hit you so will almost hit you on 5 or 4+ then all ones they get they hit themselves and all those hits must be rorolled causing more self hits and Fails.

Kinda funny i remember making a GUO in 7th edition hit it self 3 times Dying due to the d6 wounds gift thing.

Like to call him Mr Why are you punching your face?

GreySeerZ
08-09-2010, 16:45
I guess thats true. I could always just take a Khorne Exalted for some extra damage. However, in the 8/9 games I have played of 8th edition, magic has been rather sketchy at best. The dreaded 1/6 ending many magic phases before they even begin. Even if I get spells off they are most likely dispelled and I might get one spell off per turn. Unless I am gating entire units I just don't see how the Sorc will put out more damage than an elite killing Lord.

It also doesn't help that much considering the armies I face: Daemons(Enough + spell power and dice to negate my casting, AND extra spell dice for them for every successful cast of mine) Vampire Counts(Spell Mastery giving extra spell dice) and dual LVL 4 empire. I know that Warriors of Chaos have been known for casting, but against these power houses I am still usually on the losing end of the spell rolls.

I understand that magic defense is important, but in most of my games I am usually outcast, unless I sacrifice close combat characters for casters. In this case I am usually slaughtered by a CC monster (Bloodthirster/Vampire) and while my Lord does zip around and survive, my squads get demolished.

Not saying that I'm not taking it under consideration and I appreciate your advice. And I'm sure people have more experience than I do. I'm just trying to create a character that will put FEAR in my enemies!

GenerationTerrorist
08-09-2010, 21:41
Chaos Lord
Mark of Tzeentch
Disk of Tzeentch
Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Chaos Runesword
Stream of Corruption

Summary:
2+/3+ Save, 20 inch Charge Range, 6 S6 WS9 Attacks, Nasty Breath Weapon

This is the guy I use when I can't be bothered to field my Chosen block. I've had him munch through entire units on his own, take down Dragons/Hydra's, etc and generally be near-impossible to kill.

Col. Custard
08-09-2010, 21:47
On a related note, how would you equip a slaanesh lord on a daemonic mount? I would love to have some input, and I do not want to hijack the thread, so if this is hijacking let me know and I'll hush.

GreySeerZ
08-09-2010, 22:49
Hmmm, never thought of a disk lord. Has definite possibilities. Invincible and deadly sounds good to me. Maybe I'll playtest it a bit, since I have 2 weeks.

@GenerationTerrorist - Don't worry about it man, I'm always open for branching discussion. I've never seen a Slaanesh lord. Have seen a Slaanesh champion, Makes long first turn move and flames things (Stream of Corruption). Its great if you get into a good harassing position

Yehoshua
09-09-2010, 01:58
Actually, a MoS Exalted could make its Vanguard 12" move and then a 20" move on the first turn (or a charge, if you're going second).

That's something that could give your opponent a fit trying to plan around it - just have to make sure he knows what you can do!

Althwen
09-09-2010, 09:07
That vanguard move thiny is very tempting, however, I feel that being able to fly OVER intervening obstacles on a disk is worth those extra points for the mark of tzeentch. Not to mention the +1 WS.
What with autobreak due to fear-causing enemies being removed in 8th, I find the mark of Slaanesh a lot less tempting than before.

I'm gonna try an unmarked lvl 4 with lore of Heavens next time.
-blood of tzeentch
-enchanted shield
-Daemonic mount
-talisman from BRB (5++)

I hope those heavens spells will provide me with some nasty tricks against those pesky DE and HE I'm facing most of the time.

GenerationTerrorist
09-09-2010, 11:13
My Sorcerer Lord setup is:

Lvl 4
Mark of Tzeentch
Disk of Tzeentch
Talisman of Endurance
Enchanted Shield
Blood of Tzeentch
Third Eye

1+/4+ Save, Virtually immune to his own miscasts, steals enemy spells, very moble :-)

I use both the Lord (see above post) and the Sorcerer Lord in 3000pts+ games, and they earn their points back in spades.

GreySeerZ
09-09-2010, 16:32
@GenerationTerrorist-

Yea, I would love to take 2 disc zippers, a sorc lord and fighty lord. However I am limited to one lord choice, for at least this round. Which do you think would be more effective? Especially against the armies listed above (skaven, daemons, vampires and empire)?

GenerationTerrorist
09-09-2010, 21:05
I'd probably run the Sorcerer Lord, of the two. Give him the ToP (that the Lord had originally), and he becomes even more resilient.

Anything below 3K, and I run the Sorcerer Lord. Anything over 3-3.5K, and I'd run the pair of them.

GreySeerZ
10-09-2010, 14:32
Hmmm. I think I will go with the Tzeentch Sorc, lvl 4, disk, preservation, Conjoined Homunculous, enchanted shield, etc. I figured I'd also give him blood curdling roar, to blast some elites in his spare time.

Obviously my first hero will be a defensive BSB. As a caster backup I'm torn between two choices. Festus or A slaanesh sorcerer on steed of Slaanesh. I like the first turn shock that the steed can cause. And while it might not always be successful it could turn some games for me straight from the start. Make him lvl 2, with stream of corruption, eye of tzeentch, enchanted shield (for survival). Just run him forward and toast some tanks/missile troops...

My alternative would be to run a survival BSB and a Khorne exalted on Jugger for CC death. But I figure the magic defense/casting boost would help.

Citadel97501
11-09-2010, 04:12
I have been contemplating the MoT, Crimson armor of Dargan, and the Necrotic Phylactery, Sword of Swift Slaying, Ring of Ruin, Shield, Disk of Tzeentch, Stream of Corruption

This makes him immune to every attack that could one shot him, and if you use him to kill 2 war machines he has almost paid for himself. The Ring of Ruin is to hit any Hydra's or HPA's since they will be dangerous for him to deal with.

His little brothers the ASF Exalted Hero on a Disk have been wiping out every war-machine that thinks about being fielded. . . (5 games-12 WM's down.)