PDA

View Full Version : Charging More than One Unit (BRB pg. 18)

Venerable_Bede
09-09-2010, 04:04
This rule says that if the only way you can complete a charge against a unit is by touching another, you can do so, but you have to declare a charge against both.

How does this rule interact with the rule that says a charge must maximize contact?

In other words, does this mean that if you can complete the charge without touching another unit by bringing less than the maximum number of models into contact you must do so?

Or do you still have to bring the maximum number of models into contact and thus declare a charge on both units?

My head hurts.......

Da Crusha
09-09-2010, 04:14
also covered in the faq.

Q: If I can only maximise the number of models fighting by contacting
another enemy unit, must I declare a charge against that unit? (p20)
A: No.

you, my friend, need to read the faq.

Venerable_Bede
09-09-2010, 04:28
also covered in the faq.

Q: If I can only maximise the number of models fighting by contacting
another enemy unit, must I declare a charge against that unit? (p20)
A: No.

you, my friend, need to read the faq.

I don't understand this. It seems to say that I can contact the other enemy unit (not the target of the charge) without declaring a charge on it.

But BRB page 22 says "Under no circumstances can a unit use its charge move to move into contact with an enemy it has not declared a charge against."

Aren't these statements contradictory?

Taureus
09-09-2010, 05:49
Like I said in the other thread, you only declare one charge, against one target unit.

If three warmachines are up on a hill in exactly a straight line, and you have a unit that is wide enough to hit all of them, you can't choose to charge one of them because you would come into incidental contact (which doesn't allow for multi-charges this edition).

WW WW WW
WW WW WW

GGGGGGG
GGGGGGG
GGGGGGG

Even declaring against one of the outer machines would bring you into contact once you have maximized (yes, assuming the gaps are exactly 1 inch).

Venerable_Bede
10-09-2010, 03:00
Like I said in the other thread, you only declare one charge, against one target unit.

If three warmachines are up on a hill in exactly a straight line, and you have a unit that is wide enough to hit all of them, you can't choose to charge one of them because you would come into incidental contact (which doesn't allow for multi-charges this edition).

WW WW WW
WW WW WW

GGGGGGG
GGGGGGG
GGGGGGG

Even declaring against one of the outer machines would bring you into contact once you have maximized (yes, assuming the gaps are exactly 1 inch).

I'm still not understanding this.

You say you declare one charge against one unit?

If that is so, then how does that comply with the rule on page 22 of the BRB which says "Under no circumstances can a unit use its charge move to move into contact with an enemy it has not declared a charge against."?

Taureus
10-09-2010, 04:29
I'm still not understanding this.

You say you declare one charge against one unit?

If that is so, then how does that comply with the rule on page 22 of the BRB which says "Under no circumstances can a unit use its charge move to move into contact with an enemy it has not declared a charge against."?

Because you cannot select to charge multiple units...

So you can declare one target unit for your charge. And you cannot come into contact with any other units because you could not declare a charge against them as well.

solkan
10-09-2010, 07:00
The rule in the middle left column on page 18 says: "... if there is no way at all of completing the charge against an enemy unit without touching another ... then the charging unit must also declare a charge against the other unit(s)" and then describes how to work out the charge reactions.

Tareus, according to that rule, the G unit in your example must declare a charge against two (or all three) of the W units if it declares a charge against any of them.