PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt WoC starter list, New to WoC and WFB

ucfan34
09-09-2010, 03:50
Below is the list I've come up with to get started with WoC. The list itself is based pretty much on the models I like/excluding those I don't (Marauders).

Having only 2 decent sized blocks of infantry has me kinda worried, but was hoping I could get away with it at the lower point level. I like the Chaos Spawn models quite a bit but it's pretty much there for filler for now.

I plan on expanding on the list below to higher point levels, but though this would be a decent start. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hero:
Exalted Hero, Juggernaut, Mark of Khorne, Axe of Khorne; 220 pts

Core:
14 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields, Halbreds, (Hero goes in this unit); 286 pts

18 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command, Additional Hand Weapon, Blasted Standard; 378 pts

5 Chaos Warhounds; 30 pts

Special:
None

Rare:
1 Chaos Spawn; 55 pts

Total: 999pts

ROCKY
09-09-2010, 10:23
your guy on the juggernaut will be an easy target. he cannot get a cover save from them. I would suggest some marauders in this small of a game. take around thirty marauders with MOT for 5+ward in combat with hand weapons and shield and light armor. thats 220points

take warriors with MoT halberd and blasted standard: 14of them: that will be around 310points

take your character, (i would recommend a wizard with something like, talisman of protection, sword of might, and spell familiar) with mark of tzeentch. thats 190points so thats 720 so far this leaves u with 280points. how about 6 chaos knights with the mark of slaanesh, standard, and flaming banner. there u have a blananced 1000 point army. good horde block, good warrior killy unit, and 6 knights and a very deadly wizard.

Demrog
09-09-2010, 12:45
Flaming banner is no good on knights - iirc it doesnt affect magic weapons and knights carry ensorcelled weapons.

If you want to stick with Tzeentch on your knights, I'd recommend 5 knights with blasted standard, and maybe drop the standard on the warriors and change them to Khorne Warriors with Halberds. Depending on who you are facing and whether you want to use the points on a standard you could give them the razor standard to further reduce your opponents AS, or even give them the flaming attacks banner instead (actually not a bad idea imo).

Of course this is assuming you'd be willing to use marauders at all...

ucfan34
09-09-2010, 23:29
your guy on the juggernaut will be an easy target. he cannot get a cover save from them.

You don't his armor save isn't enough to reliably keep him alive?

I would suggest some marauders in this small of a game.

No Marauders... :shifty:

there u have a blananced 1000 point army. good horde block, good warrior killy unit, and 6 knights and a very deadly wizard.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into creating an alternate and more balanced list. No Marauders though. :)

Flaming banner is no good on knights - iirc it doesnt affect magic weapons and knights carry ensorcelled weapons.

If you want to stick with Tzeentch on your knights, I'd recommend 5 knights with blasted standard, and maybe drop the standard on the warriors and change them to Khorne Warriors with Halberds. Depending on who you are facing and whether you want to use the points on a standard you could give them the razor standard to further reduce your opponents AS, or even give them the flaming attacks banner instead (actually not a bad idea imo).

Of course this is assuming you'd be willing to use marauders at all...

Thanks for the info and recommendations, but seriously, no Marauders. :D

_dandaman_
10-09-2010, 01:54
hey unfac, just a couple things, first question, do you have a rulebook? If you see in your rulebook, theres a special rule called look out sir! Unfortunately, with your guy on jugger, he gets a very limited LoS!, I think a 5+. This means that a cannon, bolt thrower, organ gun, or other nasty shooting will kill him in no time. If you are against marauders, as we discussed on the tactica, you're going to need alot of attacks, so the best way to do this fairly cheaply is 18 warriors with the Mark of Khorne and halbers + possibly shields, this will make a fairly killy unit to take the place of the usual mararauder horde. I would say look into a sorcerer on disk, he can cheaply be survivable, (golden eye of tzneetch) mobile with his disk, powerful caster with a spell familair, and a knight sniper with bloodcurdling roar, and +3 to cast is killer, and if you're learning the game, he will give you a good feel of how magic works in the game. Also, I would suggest (although others wouldn't) some marauder horseman and hounds. That way you can learn the uses of screening as well as how to use the vanguard and how to warmachine hunt. I would also suggest 6 knights with the mark of khorne. Just dont be a hero with them, they cant kill full units, but use them to chew down your opponets hordes. So, with the hero I reccomended, (a lvl 2 with the golden eye, spell familiar, bloodcurdling roar) the 18 warriors with halberds and shields, 2 units of hounds, and a unit of 6 knights with the mark of khorne, a standard and a musician.

Hope this helps;

Dan

grhino
10-09-2010, 08:35
Make units smaller and adding a unit of knights for some speed is an excellent suggestion that has already been made. Also, your units need not be 18 models strong. Try taking units of 12 or 14 - with chaos warriors that can work. You need more units or you will be outmanouvered.

ucfan34
12-09-2010, 22:40
@Dandaman: I'll try and come up with an alternate list that includes a sorcerer and some of the other changes.

In the mean time. I've done a little retooling and came up with the following list. Does this look any better?

Hero:
Exalted Hero, Shield, Mark of Khorne, Axe of Khorne, Great Weapon; 175 pts

Core:
15 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Nurgle, Full Command, Shields, Festering Shroud; 325 pts

14 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Standard Bearer, Additional Hand Weapon, (Hero goes in this unit); 272 pts

Special:
None

Rare:
1 Chaos Spawn, Mark of Tzeentch; 65 pts

Total: 1000 pts

_dandaman_
13-09-2010, 01:27
@Dandaman: I'll try and come up with an alternate list that includes a sorcerer and some of the other changes.

In the mean time. I've done a little retooling and came up with the following list. Does this look any better?

Hero:
Exalted Hero, Shield, Mark of Khorne, Axe of Khorne, Great Weapon; 175 pts

Getting there, but here are the big things I see; He can't use a great weapon and the axe of khorne, as the rules say he has to use a magic weapon, so drop the great weapon. The problem with this guy is he's gona die, fast. He's going to need a little more protection. Without chaning him too very much, I would suggest not taking the axe of khorne, it's just too expensive, a better build would probably be; Exalted: MoK, Heroslayer, Enchanted Shield, Dragonhelm, Stream of Corruption, this should help you get the feel of a good combat hero, and stream will give you lots of fun and helps you learn template weapons.

Core:
15 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Nurgle, Full Command, Shields, Festering Shroud; 325 pts

14 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Standard Bearer, Additional Hand Weapon, (Hero goes in this unit); 272 pts

I would say combine these, or make them a bigger unit. Drop the festering shroud. It seems good on paper, but it'll only kill at most 3 guys, and for 55 points! (including the mark) I think the MoK and MoT are the bees knees this edition, so try to find the points to bump up the second unit, and drop the festering shroud and MoN on the other unit, for the MoT.

1 unit is best for these; cheap enough to waste 30 points on them, but 90 points in total is a bit too much.

Special:
None

Rare:

the MoT isn't needed, 1 of them is good for holding up a flank, as you seem to like them, drop the Mot, and the other unit

Total: 1000 pts

With the changes suggested, you're looking at a list somewhat like this:

Exalted Hero: MoK, Heroslayer, Enchanted Shield, Dragonhelm,

15x Warriors: MoT, Shields, F/C

18x Warriors: MoK, Halberds, F/C

5x Hounds

1x Chaos Spawn

Its a good solid list, I feel like it'll keep the old feel of your list, but they have some tweaks to make it a little more competative, and will get you to learn more aspects of the game. you're sitting on another 87 points, so I would suggest, (its completely up to you)

Option 1: Shields on the Khorne Warriors, another spawn to hold the other flank, some people say spawn aren't good, but hey, they're fun to use!

Option 2: 5x Marauder Horseman with flails + a musician. These guys can screen, hunt war machines, bait and flee, try to marchblock, they'll help you learn how to use fast cavalry too.

Hope this helps and good luck with your gameplay, the key to a starter army is to be fun, and have a semi-competative army, and this fits the bill quite nicely, enjoy;

Dan

the_slosh
13-09-2010, 09:41
hey unfac, just a couple things, first question, do you have a rulebook? If you see in your rulebook, theres a special rule called look out sir! Unfortunately, with your guy on jugger, he gets a very limited LoS!, I think a 5+.
Dan

Different unit types cannot benefit from LoS!
Page 97