PDA

View Full Version : Gut Magic in 8th, how does it work?

vstag
11-09-2010, 07:35
Ok I have heard two ways that gut magic works in 8th now. One is you cast a spell once and thats it, you can't have more then one remains in play spell of the same kind by the same caster, So once a caster castes one thats it for that spell from him untill its dispelled. The other way is that the caster can cast it once a turn and can keep casting it turn after turn on the same unit for +2 or more T, or S, but can only have one spell on the unit and no other. Does anyone know which way it is?

Mr_Rose
11-09-2010, 09:31
Please read the Gut Magic section in the OK book with the FAQ in the other hand. Everything you need to know about them is there.
Note that none of the spells in the Gut Magic lore are "Remains in Play" so none of the rules for "Remains in Play" spells as defined in the rulebook apply to them.

Basically: There are no restrictions on the number of times a given spell may be cast, nor upon how many of a given spell can be in effect on a single unit, since the FAQ deleted the relevant sections of the OK magic rules. The only restriction is the same as the one that applies to every other Wizard; each caster may only attempt to cast each spell once per turn per caster.

So if you have two Butchers and a Slaughtermaster, you could very well end up with a unit having 3*Toothcracker on it, for +3 T.

Lungboy
11-09-2010, 11:15
The way I read it is that if a particular spell is in play, you get the bonus (+1T for example), but it makes no difference how many times you have the spell in play, you only ever get the same bonus.

Mr_Rose
11-09-2010, 11:46
The way I read it is that if a particular spell is in play, you get the bonus (+1T for example), but it makes no difference how many times you have the spell in play, you only ever get the same bonus.
That only works if only one unit can benefit from each spell, so you can't have multiple units with the same benefit.
That is, if "one nominated unit...while this spell is in play" is truly binary as you say, it applies to all copies of a given spell, not just ones that happen to have nominated the same unit multiple times.