PDA

View Full Version : My new Fantasy army. High Elves !!!

wickedvoodoo
11-09-2010, 19:27
Its offically time for my second fantasy army !!!! (For my first, the Swamplegion of Lord Septicus, please see my sig.)

Ok its another high elves army, I know there are a million and one threads like this popping up but hey, its an army that is going to play very differently to my chaos and is going to be relatively cheap. (all plastic and alot of boxed set stuff) Besides, no one else is playing them in my regular group so it actually fills a gap.

I already had a bolt thrower and a chariot and I have added the contents of one IoB so far. I plan on getting a battalion, plus another IoB, plus a mage set and a third bolt thrower. At some point I will need a third load of IoB seaguard, will probably ebay them.

So here is my list guys.

Lord

Eltharion on Stormwing 490

Heroes

Mage Lv. 2, Starwood Staff, 175
Mage Lv. 2, Steed, The Gem of Sunfire, 172
Mage Lv. 2, Dispel Scroll, Jewel of the Dusk, 170
Banner Bearer BsB, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Pheonix, 172

Core

Sea Guard x24, Shields, Full Command, 337
Archers x20, Champ & Musician 235
Spearmen x20, Full Command, 205

Special

Swordmasters x17, Full Command, Opal Amulet, Banner of Sorcery, 350
Tiranoc Chariots x2, 170
Elyrian Reavers x5, Spears & Bows, Champion, 112
Elyrian Reavers x5, Spears & Bows, Champion, 112

Rare

Repeater Bolt Throwers x3, 300

Total = 3000 dead on.

So my ideas for the army are as follows.

The foot mages will go in the archers and the seaguard. The Bsb will be in the swordmasters. The mounted mage will be with one of the reaver units.

For magic lore, I am probably mainly going with fire. Maybe a bit of metal. I want offensive spells to combine with all the ranged firepower.

For fighting style I am thinking hang back early on. Use ranged weapons and magic to weaken as much of the enemy force as possible. Whilst this is happening Elthariona nd the reavers are out on the flanks harrasing units that I dont want to get close to my main line.

When the enemy is getting close I can decide whether I want to hold my ground and let them hit my lines, all the time hoping to get every last shot off, or I can use the pretty good movement speeds to try and launch a counter attack with the fighting units and the chariots.

I think this army will do well against armies that do not mave much in the way of shooting and that are forced to come at me. These armies will play right into the hands of how I see my army working.

However I think the trouble will come when facing off against armies that can shoot me back with any reliability. Alot of my units seem very vunerable to ranged fire, it seems to be a bit of a weakness of the High Elves in general.

So yeah, any thoughts guys? How do I get the most out of this army?

Please note I am looking more for tactical advice than army list suggestions.

Many thanks.

P.S. Later on I will post a WIP pic of my Eltharion conversion, plus a colour scheme tester for you guys to take a look at.

wickedvoodoo
11-09-2010, 19:29
Heh, I just noticed I posted this as a Beasts army on the menu. Nevermind eh? They are elves honest, they aint beastmen.

Loopstah
11-09-2010, 19:52
Drop the Razor Banner on the Swordmasters and replace it with the Banner of Sorcery, you have 4 Wizards in your army you need extra power dice more than armour piercing Swordmasters. I would also consider giving one of the mages the Jewel of Dusk.

These changes would help you cast more than 2 or 3 spells a turn. Otherwise your wasting points in wizards that will hardly ever get to cast spells.

Lots of wizards is a good idea but you have to provide support for them to actually do stuff.

wickedvoodoo
11-09-2010, 19:58
Drop the Razor Banner on the Swordmasters and replace it with the Banner of Sorcery, you have 4 Wizards in your army you need extra power dice more than armour piercing Swordmasters. I would also consider giving one of the mages the Jewel of Dusk.

These changes would help you cast more than 2 or 3 spells a turn. Otherwise your wasting points in wizards that will hardly ever get to cast spells.

Lots of wizards is a good idea but you have to provide support for them to actually do stuff.

Hmm. I was actually pondering along these lines myself and only actually picked the razor standard at the last minute over the sorcery one. I may change it back.

[Edit] Yeah I have edited that one into the list. I dropped the gleaming pennant to fit it in. Also dropped gem of courage and picked a cheaper upgrade for the swordmasters champ so I could fit in the jewel of dusk.

I do want offensive magic to be a big part of this army so i think those changes are warranted. (I seem to have totally overlooked the jewel of dusk before you pointed it out, a bit of a brain fart really.)

kaynae
13-09-2010, 04:57
Dropping one wizard for a Lvl 4 Archmage would really help you in the magic phase.

wickedvoodoo
17-09-2010, 02:35
Alas not possible.

I cant fit Eltharion and a decent arch mage into the % allowance. I am set on using Eltharion as I want to use the gryphon model and I want at least some magical ability on my lord. Eltharion is the only one that fits.

On that matter, anone got any Eltharion tips? How has he been in your games (if you use him obviously) or have you played against him? How did he do?

Oh yeah, the promised pics.

lacurra
17-09-2010, 12:31
i don't think i would take 4 mages. really that's a huge strain on your power dice pool with 4 lvl 2 mages. i might drop 2 of them and take another combat unit such at WLs or DPs or something that will hit pretty hard. right now the only real combat unit you have are the one unit of sword masters. i don't think you will find the shooting phase terribly effective at thining troops out with the elves and your spear elves wear paper armor and will get chewed through quickly in combat. if you have mind razor then they are a great infantry unit, other wise they are really just a speed bump. in a 3k point game you are going to need more units IMO but that's just my 2 cents. you also might want to cut 1 of your RBTs to gain another 100 points for troops.