PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about DoW - IM A NEWB!

Lorenzo
11-09-2010, 21:56
Hello out there.
My first thread here.

I'm planning to start playing warhammer, and would like to play DoW, as i think they look really cool!

My questions:

1. Are they allowed in tournaments? Since you can't buy them anymore from GW's shop?

2. Which DoW units kicks ass?

3.Are there any good combinations when it comes to units? (I especially like Lorenzo Lupo)

4. Does anyone have the rules for Lorenzo Lupo arround? I've been searching for a while now, and haven't been lucky so far.

5. I've heard it's possible to hire DoW units together with other armies/races. If that's so, which race is especially good with DoW?

Please dont flame me for being a total newb.

I might have additional questions.

Thanks in advance,

Søren

Shamutanti
11-09-2010, 22:15
Search function.

Lorenzo
11-09-2010, 22:29
Search function.

Yes you are right, you can probably find some of the things in the search function i've questioned.

But why not just ask, while im making a thread with questions that i cant get answered by using the search function?

WusteGeist
12-09-2010, 06:17
Let me just help your pain pass faster. DoW all cool as they were are dead, stick a flower in the court yard of Morr. They are just dead, GW has all but phased them out. Best suggestion is get the older models while you can find them or convert models and then just play them as Empire. Because you just wont find enough support for them in the current rules and since the erratas do not even suggest anything about them, well most tourines want things simple not more complex. So do not expect them to be overally supported.

Lorenzo
12-09-2010, 07:53
Let me just help your pain pass faster. DoW all cool as they were are dead, stick a flower in the court yard of Morr. They are just dead, GW has all but phased them out. Best suggestion is get the older models while you can find them or convert models and then just play them as Empire. Because you just wont find enough support for them in the current rules and since the erratas do not even suggest anything about them, well most tourines want things simple not more complex. So do not expect them to be overally supported.

Thank you for a good answer!

T10
12-09-2010, 10:27
1. Depends on the tournament. Dogs of War was never considered a "core" army in 6th and 7th edition, but tournaments often allowed them to be used as an army but not as mercenary troops hired by other core armies.

2. None of them, really. If anything they are extremely average, and not particularly cheap in terms of points either. The Regiment of Renown units are a cut above, though. Voland, Bronzino and Arsanil tend to give me a lot of trouble.

3. You can't really build any really tough unit combinations - most of it comes straight out-of-the-box with Regiments of Renown, and your Dogs of War units and characters don't really bring much to mix it up.

4. Lorenzo Lupo? Sorry. I've only got the Warhammer Chronicles 2003.

5. Technically, Dogs of War units have been phased out of the individual army books of late. The rules for each Regiment of Renown, however, specify how these units can be taken by other armies, typically as Special or Rare units.

gunsmoke
12-09-2010, 13:56
In our gaming group, we wouldn't mind if you skinned DOW models as an army, for instance an Araby themed army but using the relevant Empire stat lines and troop choices.

BigRob
12-09-2010, 14:23
Dogs of War are like Chaos Dwarves. The rules are there, just don't expect them to be updated ever again. This means that you will only have effectivly a quick PDF list forever with no changes being made to it as the game reaches new editions.

DOW are overpriced in the points department, this means your troops are more points and alot less exciting or powerful than almost every other army. This has you at a disadvantage right away. 1/2 the units are easily forgettable, some are very good even today but most won't cut it against an updated 8th edition army.

ROR are overpriced and 60% rubbish. Some are very very good or have a combo function that can (and I mean can, since most people are wise to it) win big. Beorg Bearstruck + Bears anger is a good example under the old system. People would often try and use the Truthsayer/Dark Emissary as a crutch as well. Some regiments are just plain terrible. I have never seen anyone bother with the birdmen or Al Muktars boys for example.

Your characters are worse than most other armies, especially the weak paymaster who is seen by many as an easy target. The new common magic items are a big big big improvement but still, don't expect your characters to be able to go toe to toe with most other big bads. Your SC are moderatly good. Lucrezia Belladonna is probably the best of the bunch because of her numerous abilities and magic. Lorenzo Lupo is probably better than Borgio the Besieger but not by much. Google Dogs of war Warhammer and you will get a couple of the good forums that might be able to point you in the direction of his rules.

Forget tournaments and other "official" gaming venues if you want to use DOW and forget GW unless your willing to sell a kidney and your children in order to buy the ludicruously overpriced DOW models from Mail Order. For a laugh and good fun with your friends or even just a challenge then look to companies like the Perry Miniatures for some great alternatives.

The old Allies thing was (way back in the day) that any army could take DOW as a rare choice. This no longer applies. The Ogre Kingdoms army book had units that could be taken as DOW, both in a DOW army or in other armys, this too, no longer applies. There are some new ally rules in the 8th edition I believe.

TBH unless your really keen, go the "counts as" route with Empire or something, it'll be alot easier, especially if you are a newbie to warhammer as a whole. You can eaisly blend DOW models with the empire list, the only trouble is the pikemen, but they are not that good at the moment anyway.

Good Luck

BorderKing
12-09-2010, 14:39
Ok, if you go to http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/search.php?action=results&sid=998f7fb08db672a881b3319e18c0faf1 they can answer some of your questions but I'll giv it a go.

1) Yes they are allowed in some tournaments, but not in offical GW ones. If your local store does a tourny it would all depend on your local store. It would be best to find out your store's reaction to DOW before you play anyway.

2) In my opinion Long Drong rocks. I also like the cheapness of hotpots and their awesomeness. I have heard good things about the galloper's but I have never used them. Also, I find Golgfag to do well in some situations. I also find Vespero to be very good in certain situations but terrible in some. Marauders with great weapons are good for their points, and a big of dwarfs with HA+SH are very survivable, but GW are also a good choice for them.

3) There are some awesome combinations using Galloper guns from what I've read, but as I said I've never used them. A captain + pegasus is called a captasus and is a good warmachine hunter.

4) On the website I mentioned earlier look for someone called the hobbit librarian, as he has all the rules you will need.

5) It isn't possible to use DOW in other armies. However, check your store to see what their policy is as they might allow it.

Commissar Vaughn
12-09-2010, 14:58
Go to Dogs of War Online and ask for Bilbo the Hobbit Librarian: He can send you all the PDFs you need to use them.

1. Are they allowed in tournaments? Since you can't buy them anymore from GW's shop? ~Some are available on the GW website but very few and far between, and very expensive, your either going to be converting models or buying historical. Probably best used for friendly games rather than tourneys anyway.

2. Which DoW units kicks ass? HAH! None of them. Most are average at best, with many being massivly overcosted.
3.Are there any good combinations when it comes to units? (I especially like Lorenzo Lupo) Pretty much none at all, dont go looking for 7th edition tactics in DOW....theres no Deathstars here, move along, nothing to see....

4. Does anyone have the rules for Lorenzo Lupo arround? I've been searching for a while now, and haven't been lucky so far. see above re Dogs of War online and Bilbo, seem to recall hes very pricey but has a couple of cool abilities.

5. I've heard it's possible to hire DoW units together with other armies/races. If that's so, which race is especially good with DoW? Other Armies could hire DOW regiments of Reknown, but alas, no more

One other thing Ill mention is that you are going to struggle in a competative setting: you'll need a very good head for manouvering, positioning, prioritizing targets, etc to overcome the raw power of every other army you'll face, as you have no advantages over anyone and a lot of weaknesses. Its not impossible, but there are no "easy mode" combo's or units to rely on.
Every game will be an uphill struggle, the ultimate test of your generalship.

I love my DOW but I cant pretend you'll find victory anything but elusive.

But if your up to the challange (And I feel if you want an easy win what is the ****** point anyway?) then know full well when you do crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women its not fluke it will be a victory well earned and deserved.