PDA

View Full Version : Spawn of Chaos

Da Crusha
12-09-2010, 04:00
I've been wanting to field spawns of chaos in my WoC army because I got a hold of some models. but what are they used for? what situation's do I want to put them into? which one of them is the best? How can I use them most efficiently?

NoxiousQubert
12-09-2010, 04:40
They can be some good road block and re directors and they wont really go down with out a fight.

Warwizard91
12-09-2010, 06:00
Flank protection, thats about it these days.

Djekar
12-09-2010, 10:30
Depending on the surrounding unit they might also be able to assassinate weak characters like wizards, but that's pretty iffy. With only 3 wounds and toughness 5 at initiative 3, they have to get pretty lucky to not get rocked first. Then of course, you have to roll high enough to get into the unit and get a decent number of attacks ... but if you have the models and you want to use 'em, you could intersperse them throughout your line and give it a try.

Sylass
12-09-2010, 12:54
Yesteraday my Chaos Spawn was quite good at keeping a unit of DE spearmen busy for 1 or 2 turns. Got killed the moment this unit of Knights charged in...

Curufew
12-09-2010, 13:58
Like most of the members here have stated, you can use them for flank protection.

Leth Shyish'phak
12-09-2010, 18:19
They're also very good for holding up units with low Ws and S while your big hitters walk around to the flank. Even with the extra attacks and the stepping up, T5 and W3 can take a while to kill for non-elite infantry. Best to use them in pairs for this job though, helps avoid the problem of a bucket of 6's.

Warwizard91
14-09-2010, 05:16
Maybe throw one or two at some skaven slaves or something, deny points denial.

Hashulaman
14-09-2010, 07:06
Eh, They can be good dependign what you face. I did have Scyla almost take down a dark elf Dragon once though.

Symrivven
14-09-2010, 10:39
Anecdotal evidence is generally weak at best, and becomes rather useless if you talk about something totally different, scyla is not just a chaos spawn.
So when using chaos spawn don't expect them to take down a dragon any time soon.

Apart from the flank protection, mage assasination (risky) and speedbump you can use them to flush skirmishers from forests, though in this edition that use is not as important as it used to be.

Althwen
14-09-2010, 12:38
I don't use spawns anymore. Too many things can go wrong, like a unit unexpectedly rolling a load of 6's.

For the same amount of points you buy 11 bare marauders and 9 with great weapons. Only if I had plenty of those would I even consider using a spawn.

Memnos
14-09-2010, 13:20
I love Chaos Spawn. I use masses of them in my Beastmen army.

Unfortunately, in a Warriors of Chaos army you're giving up some great things.

That said, Chaos Spawn have several advantages:

1) They're the only unit in the game that can charge out of buildings.
2) They have Stomp.
3) You can upgrade yours to have S5.
4) If you buy 4 of them, they barely take any points and are amazing against units of archers/handgunners/etc. And they only work out to be less than half of your 2000 points allocation of Rares.

That having been said, they suck at holding up ranked units unless they charge from the flanks. Even then, a character will make short work. Your best bet:

Use them in hordes. 4d6+4 S5 attacks, +4 S5 stomps is enough to really hurt a unit.

Use cursing magic on their units. If you can reduce their strength, T5 is enough to really hold up a unit.

Unlike previous editions, where 4 Spawn was all your rares, 4 Spawn is less than half of the 2000 point allocation, though it can be more if you give them all Marks.

Best part of Spawn: Conversion opportunities. I bought green slime from a toy store, put it on a well-done base and now he's one of my most famous models at my LGS.

Memnos
14-09-2010, 13:22
I love Chaos Spawn. I use masses of them in my Beastmen army.

Unfortunately, in a Warriors of Chaos army you're giving up some great things.

That said, Chaos Spawn have several advantages:

1) They're the only unit in the game that can charge out of buildings.
2) They have Stomp.
3) You can upgrade yours to have S5.
4) If you buy 4 of them, they barely take any points and are amazing against units of archers/handgunners/etc. And they only work out to be less than half of your 2000 points allocation of Rares.

That having been said, they suck at holding up ranked units unless they charge from the flanks. Even then, a character will make short work. Your best bet:

Use them in hordes. 4d6+4 S5 attacks, +4 S5 stomps is enough to really hurt a unit.

Use cursing magic on their units. If you can reduce their strength, T5 is enough to really hold up a unit.

Unlike previous editions, where 4 Spawn was all your rares, 4 Spawn is less than half of the 2000 point allocation, though it can be more if you give them all Marks.

Best part of Spawn: Conversion opportunities. I bought green slime from a toy store, put it on a well-done base and now he's one of my most famous models at my LGS.