PDA

View Full Version : 1200, WE vs Empire

Gormereth, the Fearmonger
13-09-2010, 00:01
A kid (~10 years old) challenges me to a game so I break out my wood elves

Army Writting

I wanted to try out this 10 strong Glade Rider idea and I was going to have a noble lead them, but at 1200 points the two nobles I had were over 25% so I had a lord lead them. With the new equipment limit and option availiable I got to thinking "300 points rare limit, Empire, Little Kid...there's a steam tank coming or I'll eat my hat." So I had my highborn leading the glade riders kit himself out to be able to crush any monster or heavily armoured model that faced him

My List

Highborn on Elven Steed, Spirit Sword, Potion of Strength, Helm of the hunt, Light Armour, Shield

Noble on Eagle, Heavy Armour of 4+ ward save, Spear, Shield

9 Glade Riders w/musician
10 Glade Guard w/musicina, Standard, and the Flame Banner
8 Dryads
1 Treeman

His List

Warrior Priest w/a sword that re-rolled to wound and +1 armour

20 swordsmen F/C
10 Greatswords F/C
10 handgunners w/ champion (and no other up grades)
5 Outriders, champion with blunderbus
a Mortar
and (surprisingly) a steam tank

Mission and terrain

Got battle for the pass and 10 pieces (there were 3 hill build into the table so we counted those and 7 others) I put down 3 forests and a wall (thought it would help against charging units if they hit me on 5s) mostly in the centre and placed to impassible terrain hills and a hut (also mostly in the centre).

Deployment

This is more a "what not to do as empire". His first deployment was the mortar, on the low ground, only 6-8" from the front line. His second deployment; the outriders on the far flank away from my archers (my only deployment so far) and with them there I was able to deploy my other soft targets away from them. The rest ended up being glade riders w/general on the left opposite everything except the steam tank, greatswords, and outriders, Glade Guard in the middle, and everything else on the right.

Vanguard

Out riders move up, Eagle moves left to hunt the Mortar, Glade Riders move right to hunt the steam tank.

*triggered two forests by this point, archers were in a fungus forest but the passed stupidity and were fine, Glade riders moved into a bllod forest but he only had the Warrior Priest.

Turn 1
Empire
Everything shot at the Glade riders, lost 6 (would have been more but he put the tamplate in front of my unit instead of directly over it for some reason). Outriders put one wound on the treeman. Otherwise he did nothing else (didn't move or even attempt to cast with the priest)

WE
The remaining Glade Riders with the Highborn successful charge the Tank. Archers move out of their fungus forest and up to the wall in the centre. Noble on the eagle finds a sweet spot within th min. range of the mortar for an un avoidable turn 2 charge. Treemen and dryads enter a forest in front of the (normal woods) and close on the outriders.

Potion os strength + charging w/Helm of Hunt + Spirit Sword vs Steam tank = 5 autohits/autowounds with a 5+ save. 4 wounds go through; on the first dice off he rolls a 6...and so do I. He rolls a one for the next 3 dice offs and I do not. Steam tank dies and I overrun out of LOS of the Greatswords.

Turn 2
Empire
Inner Circle Knights on the far left move up and everything else on the left reforms to face the eagle, Greatswords reform to face Glade riders. My opponets reforming to were my units are and not were they will be in the next turn tell me everything, and should tell everyone else exactly how this is going to go. Mortar scatters wide and outriders put one more wound on the treeman.

WE
Eagle Charges mortar, kills it easily, and over runs out of LOS. Dryads fail charge against the outriders but they're charging, in cover, etc so they don't lose anyone. Treeman strangle-roots 4 outriders and glade riders pick off the last one. Glade Guard kills one unluck knight that fails a 2+ armour save.

Turn 3
Empire
Knights charge glade Guard (who stand and shoot), but not only do the knights fail charge, then charge into the blood forest losing 3 to dangerous terrain. Greatswords face the treeman, everything else reforms aginst the Noble on the Eagle.

WE
Dryads move up Treeman moves right infront of the Greatswords but misfires on the strangle-root. Eagle repositions. Glade Riders move cross the field and shoot the swordsmen (killing 2).

Turn 4
Empire
Knights Charge Archers losing one more to dangerous terrain and one to Stand and shoot. Greatswords charge Treeman. Swordsmen face the eagle, handgunners expose their rear to the eagle to face the glade riders. Behind a wall obsticle the charging knights need 5+ to hit and they get two (but rolls a 1 to wound so only one wound total), the glade guard fail stubborn 8 and get cutdown. The Treeman's 5 attacks + T-stomp kill 5 to the 10 Greatswords (I was hoping for more) but now they fail their Stubborn 8 and get run down. Got the Unbreakable prayer off irresistably.

WE
Eagle Charges the rear of the Handgunners, Dryads Reposition to hild up the knights in the woods. Everything else converges on the Swordsmen. Dispelled the prayer cast in the previous turn. Noble and Eagle fail to kill enough handgunners to make them lose stubborn but they fail their break test anyway and the eagle over runs out of LOS, but doesn't chase down the handgunners.

Turn 5
Empire
Knights reform to charge Dryads, Swordsmen face Treeman, Handguns fail to rally.

WE
General and Noble reposition so that they are out of charge arc and unless the Str 3 guys charge my treeman theywil face a guarenteed rear, frank, front triple charge. Glade Riders turn around to finish off the handgunners.

Turn 6

Empire
Knights charge in, pass their terrain checks but dryads kill one. There is no other wounds and only the champion left so tie combat. Handgunners rally.

WE
Everything charges what was infront of them. Glade Riders kill 2 handgunners and they wiff in return, break, and get caught. Knight does a wound but dryads holds. Don't deal enough damage to the swordsmen to break their stubborn and they hold.

Result
Treeman and Glade riders were both blow half, but since that doesn't count in 8th he got 173 points for the Gladeguard and their standard...I have everything except the 20 swordsmen and his general. Crushing victory

Analysis

Not much to analyze, it doesn't take some great stategic thinking when you opponent reforms as though Wood Elves will stand perfectly still for a turn. All the 1s he rolled for the steam tank and knights was obviously a bigger factor than most everything else I did. I Want to see how a large unit of Glade Riders played, although I didn't field a lot of other targets that would draw fire. Used a Vanguard move with the eagle because someone said that they get it (claimed it was a very round about way to get to that conclusion), on reviewing the book I'm having doubts. The placement of the Mortar means it didn't affect this game, but I will need to doubt check whenI see the guy next.

YTY
13-09-2010, 05:34
Potion os strength + charging w/Helm of Hunt + Spirit Sword vs Steam tank = 5 autohits/autowounds with a 5+ save.

How do you hit automatically? Does the STank have WS0?

Nice game anyway!

13-09-2010, 14:41
How do you hit automatically? Does the STank have WS0?

It's one of the rules listed on the steam tank's profile page under close combat.

goodz
24-09-2010, 18:35
just a note, why not remind him to attempt to use his magic, and maybe help him by letting him know he can put the mortar right in the middle. Kind of seems like you bullied a little kid. Congrats on the win though:P

Also i do not believe an eagle gets a vangaurd move, but i would like to see the guys round about method for figuring that they do:P

Fast calvary only i believe, and eagles simply do not have that rule:P

26-09-2010, 01:18
Kind of seems like you bullied a little kid.

Yeah, I kinda felt bad later when I realized that I could have offered up some advice afterwards but didn't. It was not so much intentional as it was me just being absent minded. I was thinking about trying to correct it the next time I see the kid but since then I've started working 7 days a week and haven't been to a GW in like a month.

Golden Lion
27-09-2010, 08:20
Hey man, I get your explanation answering goodz's statement, but I still can't shrug that same feeling, it does seem like you tweaked your list against a 10yo and crushed him. Ok the Tank is a pretty lame choice at 1200, but still.

goodz
27-09-2010, 18:28
Heh well to be fair i wuold probably tweak my list a tad as i always expect to have a hard time using my WE. But yea especially if the game is going poorly or the kid is annoying it can be hard to correct/give advice. :) I have told people the forgot a phase and they can go back and they get like offended... Like they meant not to shoot their war machines.

No hate, just was giving my 2 cents :)

Malorian
28-09-2010, 18:58
Hey, I know a lot of people who would just refuse to play against a 'kid' since it would be a waste of a game.

I say good for him for at least trying to take a sup par army to meet him with.

Mchagen
29-09-2010, 03:56
Potion os strength + charging w/Helm of Hunt + Spirit Sword vs Steam tank = 5 autohits/autowounds with a 5+ save. 4 wounds go through; on the first dice off he rolls a 6...and so do I. He rolls a one for the next 3 dice offs and I do not. Steam tank dies and I overrun out of LOS of the Greatswords.

The spirit sword does one roll off for one or more wounds caused, not for each wound caused. So if you had played this correctly, you would have wounded 4 times, then rolled off once. Since you tied (both rolling 6's) you didn't do any additional wounds.

GodlessM
30-09-2010, 01:21
Just to clarify an Eagle does not get a vanguard move, only flying cavalry do and such units have this special rule listed which IIRC the Eagle mount does not.

02-10-2010, 03:29
The spirit sword does one roll off for one or more wounds caused, not for each wound caused. So if you had played this correctly, you would have wounded 4 times, then rolled off once. Since you tied (both rolling 6's) you didn't do any additional wounds.

Upon review you are correct, although with the way he was rolling 1s I might have stilled crushed the tank second round (a good reason not to use the dice GW itself provides). The 10 Greatswords were positioned for an easy counter charge so I probably should have lost the unit in the next turn and ultimately lost the game as a result (the GR + General was 500, too steep a deficit to come back from).