PDA

View Full Version : Dusting off my skaven

boogieoompa
13-09-2010, 06:46
I'm a long time fantasy player (playing since 2nd edition) who has taken a 2 year break and am just getting back into the game. I decided to paint up my Skaven but am having a bit of trouble with the new rule changes. Since none of my friends play anymore I will probably play my first game in an upcomming local 2250 tourney (nothing like sink or swim). Here is what I'm thinking of...

Vermin Lord (grey seer would prbly be better, but I'm sculpting one from scratch and I'm liking him so far. If he sucks I'll just go for grey seer w/bell)

Chieftain w/battle standard (though it looks like with the new stubborn rules this might not be an auto include anymore)

Plague Preist w/furnace/lvl 2/warpscroll

25 Storm Vermin w/shields/musician/standard

30 Clan rats w/musician/standard/warfire thrower

3 Ratswarms

10 Night Runners

25 Slaves

30 Plague Monks w/Plague Banner/Musician/standard

5 Jezzails

Doomwheel

Hell Pit Abomination

I want a moderatly competitive list but I want to avoid cheese. If I'm reading the new rules right it seems REALLY easy to cheese up skaven now (no pun intended) since they have sick rare choices and you can take 2 HPA, 2 Doomwheels and 2 WLC. Any suggestions? I'm fairly open the only things that are a must have for me is the Plague Furnace, Doomwheel and probably vermin lord (from a painting perspective only).

Cheers

Holesto
13-09-2010, 08:50
Welcome back to the hobby and to the skittering horde!

I think you will find that the vermin lord is overpriced for what he does at that points level, and most people do take a greyseer instead, but let us know how he works out for ya!

The bsb is more important than ever since you can rerollable ALL ld
tests now so definitely keep him in there. I'd kit him out to be a little more survivable though. Maybe armor of destiny?

Plage priest looks good but give him a flail or at least an extra hand weapon.

Give your stormvermin the storm banner if you don't put it on your bsb. It is invaluable.

I'd personally drop the swarms and the night runners and replace them with more slaves and some gutter runners. About 5 gutter runners with poison and slings per 1500 pts is the general consensus for warmachine hunting.

Your 25 slaves aren't going to last long. Large blocks of 50 are amazing with the new steadfast rule. Run them 5 across and 10 deep. Great tarpit units.

Also be aware that your vermin lord cannot be your general so you will need to make your priest your general and on the plague furnace he's gonna get shot at. A lot. Perhaps give him an item with a ward save to protect him a bit?

That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

russellmoo
14-09-2010, 06:22
I like your list- however, some suggestions

I would drop the swarms and use the points to increase the number of your slaves/nightrunners-

Or you could drop both the swarms and the nightrunners and instead run a unit of giant rats- I like them as a screening unit- as they are one of very few things the skaven have that get swift stride- so you can use them to bait and flee-

I also agree that you should-

Get more slaves
Put a flail on the plague priest- for 4 pts you get an additional 4 str 6 attacks-

Side note-
The Verminlord has died turn one the 4 times I have used him- your best hope is to take the spells of Ruin and cast Howling warpgale- Also, I would start out with him behind cover- maybe advance him behind the Plague furnace, or have him hide behind buildings- Hopefully your opponents will shoot the HPA and not the Verminlord-

Best of luck

TheDrugLordX
14-09-2010, 14:17
Side note-
The Verminlord has died turn one the 4 times I have used him- your best hope is to take the spells of Ruin and cast Howling warpgale- Also, I would start out with him behind cover- maybe advance him behind the Plague furnace, or have him hide behind buildings- Hopefully your opponents will shoot the HPA and not the Verminlord-

Wow, how did you manage with that? Surely my vermin lord has yet to survive a game, but before he dies he's always been able to kill, more oftan than not, his points back. The other game he almost smashed a unit of 35 grave guards + wight bsb + vampire lord general (the lord survived with 1 wound and 3 graveguards alive, but they got smacked 2 turns later by an hellpit abomination:)).

Many skaven spells can be cast even though in combat so you can throw him into combat whilst still blasting your enemy to pieces. Compared to a grey seer on screaming bell he's actually more survivable, and more powerful overall. Compared to a grey seer on foot I'm not sure which one is most effective, but the vermin lord does not have to fear Dwellers Below atleast...

On to your list:
Like it alot, pretty close to my original list. I would drop the nightrunners & rat swarms, whom both are pretty expensive for what they do, to increase your already existing units (34 plaguemonks + furnace makes a nice 7x7 unit, both clanrats and slaves want to be bigger...)

Jezzails are meh, but I guess they work decently...

boogieoompa
15-09-2010, 05:37
Thanks for the suggestions! OK so I changed my list to this, which I think looks all around improved. I ditched the nightrunners and jezzails (since I added the storm banner) and beefed up the slaves. Now that slaves are stubborn with LD 10 it makes swarms fairly useless (or so it seems from my all theory end). Even though the Vermin Lord might not be a good choice, I think I might still field him if my sculpt comes out cool (creating him from all green stuff). If I'm not happy with it I will go with a Grey Seer, probably riding a screaming bell since it would be visually quite neat. Well here is my revised list with an extended model count (alas). Any suggestions to this revised list?

Vermin Lord

Chieftain (Pipes of Piebald, BS)

Plague Priest (Flail, Furnace, lvl 2, Warp Scroll)

25 Storm Vermin (Shields, Musician, Standard, Storm Banner)

31 Clanrats (Musician, Standard, Warpfire Thrower)

51 Slaves

5 Gutter Runners (Poison, Slings)

34 Plague Monks (Plague Banner, Musician, Standard)

Doom Wheel

Hellpit Abomination