PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2k Slann list

Moopy
13-09-2010, 22:17
Feedback and comments welcome. My playgroup is doing 2k and knowing my friends (who generally don't know any better) I'm going to be taking on some fairly hard lists.

Slann Mage-Priest
Level 4 Wizard
Focus of Mystery Loremaster Life
Focused Rumination Extra Power Die
Higher State Ethereal
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones

Saurus Scar-Veteran
Battle Standard Bearer
Hand Weapon
Shield
Light Armor

Saurus Warriors x24
Standard
Musician

Saurus Warriors x25
Standard
Musician

Chameleon Skinks x5

Chameleon Skinks x5

Chameleon Skinks x5

Temple Guard x20
Standard Bearer
Musician

Terradon Riders x3

Ancient Stegadon

hlaine larkin
13-09-2010, 23:43
what you have to remember firstly, is that though your slaan is now hard- he has been nerfed. 2 reasons, being in the second rank he is now in a fighting rank- so cannot use direct damage spells, but you took light which is good, ws 10 I 10 saurus win. Secondly, the templeguard can no longer use hand wep/shield which sucks- but they are still hard- so kudos for taking a good lore.

i would however reccomend you drop the ethereal status- i never find it works that well,could be useful vs artillery-but what are terradons for right?

also, chameleon skinks have never been sold to me, especially now the skirmish rules are slightly worse than they were-i.e march blocking is essentially useless and no 360 degree line of sight, might be worth dropping the higher state and chameleons-or some of them, and investing in a new scarvet.

LASTLY that scar vet- i reccomend you give the slaan the bsb power, with a warbanner- because he can. He then sits in your templeguard unit giving what could be a vital +2 considering more will die now, that free's the saurus up to sit in another unit and kill stuff, with a burning blade.

hope it wasnt too crazy advice!

Dead Man Walking
14-09-2010, 14:12
also, chameleon skinks have never been sold to me, especially now the skirmish rules are slightly worse than they were-i.e march blocking is essentially useless and no 360 degree line of sight, might be worth dropping the higher state and chameleons-or some of them, and investing in a new scarvet.

I would never go into a game without at least 2 units of 8 camo skinks. They are essential for taking out artillery and small units (like wolfriders.). In my last game one unit killed off a canon, a mortar, a hellcanon, a level 2 wizard and an engineer through poison shots or charging. The other unit killed off the empire fast calvary unit with the repeater rifles and the unit with pistols, then charged a canon and killed the rider on a pope-mobile.

Without his artillery and a level 2 mage he was at the mercy of my salamanders (but his stank ran wild on my army.).

Moopy
14-09-2010, 15:15
I do see the merit in removing Ethereal from the Slann. I have a 1+ Look out Sir roll followed by a 4+ ward against artillery fire, so I should be good without it.

As for chameleon skinks, I really think in this edition they're worth it more than ever, part of it is BECAUSE skinks functionality took a hit. I can set up those units in good positions to get in there and do some damage on turn 1. Last game I played I took a single unit and they severely wounded a Cygor and took out 3 whole units of skirmishers with shortbows my opponent was using as screens. Two more small units will be invaluable, and I think as people get more games in with them, they'll see their value more and more.

hlaine larkin
14-09-2010, 15:17
I stand corrected :P maybe i need to try some!

Moopy
14-09-2010, 15:55
I stand corrected :P maybe i need to try some!

Hehe do it, you might like how they play. I did take the advice and change up my BSB to my Slann, it will be safer with it anyway, and that freed up my Scar-Vet to take a burning blade of chotek and with the rest of the points I saved I bought another Terradon.

Never actually taken Terradons before so we will see how they play out. :)

Gaargod
14-09-2010, 22:50
Don't take terradons AND chameleon skinks. They fufill much of the same role at the moment, what with redirecting taking a hit.

I'm not sure you need 3 big saurus blocks. I find it really helps just to take 2 and take some flankers (a steg or 2, for example).

Salamanders. Are. Awesome.

Change ethereal for becalming cogitation - yes it stops miscasts, but it also stops IF purple suns/other nuke spells. And it seriously 'adds' to casting levels (it makes it on average -1 per dice rolled. Obviously, not helpful as an average, but yeah...)

Moopy
15-09-2010, 18:15
Don't take terradons AND chameleon skinks. They fufill much of the same role at the moment, what with redirecting taking a hit.

I'm not sure you need 3 big saurus blocks. I find it really helps just to take 2 and take some flankers (a steg or 2, for example).

Salamanders. Are. Awesome.

Change ethereal for becalming cogitation - yes it stops miscasts, but it also stops IF purple suns/other nuke spells. And it seriously 'adds' to casting levels (it makes it on average -1 per dice rolled. Obviously, not helpful as an average, but yeah...)

I did come to that realization, and removed the Terradons. Added Salamanders. :)