Full Command
Screaming Banner

3 Spirit Hosts - 195

3 Spirit Hosts - 195

3 Spirit Hosts - 195

3 Fell Bats - 60

Total Points: 2998
Deployments: 12

Just a list I came up with in some spare time. The idea is to expand the smallish infantry units on the go with invocation of nehek. The Vampire lord and the BSB go in the grave guard unit which will be a horde (10x3). The lord gets 6 s5 attacks per turn, re-rolling to hit at Ws7, and the BSB gives the whole unit of 29 grave guard regen. The grave guard banner makes enemy units take fear tests on 3d6 dicarding the lowest. This unit will wreck anything it comes across. The skeles deal with normal infatry units and the zombies take charges and hold up a crazy enemy unit all game. The normal vampires will stand behind the skeles and zombies and keep their numbers up. The bats take out war machines or get nice flank charges. The spirit hosts will be a huge problem for most enemy units and hold them up without taking any damage.

I'm looking for comments so tell me what you think.

Little Joe
14-09-2010, 21:50
Just some first thoughts

I think your core units should be fewer and bigger at the start.
1) You can never get a spell for each of them off, so some will die due to no invokation. The opponent will force you to choose and your units die one by one.
2) Shooting and mass destruction magic can and will kill those units in one turn. Only units on the table can be re-raised.
3) Due to crumbling dying will happen a lot more in those units. They need a buffer for that. CC will happen from the second round and you at max only have two rounds of expanding, more likely one.
4) Your units are not meant for CC, so from then on you need to augment them and less dice are left for re-raising.
So get rid of those zombies and take 2 units of 30 Skeletons(5 front) and give them a static combat resulotion banner. Opt for raising those zombies magically and enlarge them to redirect the enemy. If points allow take some ghouls as hammer to your skelly anvils.
Also wight kings(lord of the barrow) work well with skelly musicians for reforms.

Use necromancers for spawning, they are a lot cheaper and do the same. Get two units of ghouls for the points saved. If you use vampires you need their power in the units, unless you give one the helm of command.

Skip the Drakenhof banner, to expensive and no remedy against crumble. In this list you would need the two swords for raising/invokation to augment your units of Skellies. Give the grave guard the barrows banner for better hitting, you need kills more than regeneration and get more grave guard for the difference.

The spirit hosts will lose about 4 lifepoints due to static combat resolution per round on their own. In 8th it is also important not to loose units entirely with the new rules for VP, especially such expensive ones. So take one of six, or for the same points a banshee with some cairn wraiths. They at least inspire terror in your enemy.

The fell bats have the same problem with units and might kill war machines, but no longer after even one dies. So again think bigger.

You also need some killers if you take a lot of anvils. So take some Varghulfs, ghouls, cairn wraiths.

zantis
14-09-2010, 23:56
I agree with 1,2 and 4, but i was under the impression that units could still be invocationed while in combat.
sure, necromancers can do the same spells as vamps for about half the points, but only the vamps can take the power to raise skeles above their starting strength.
I like your idea for the bsb.
I dont understand how the spirit hosts will be taking combat res wounds. it seems like they will almost always get the same or more wounds than the average unit's rank and banner bonuses.
I agree that fell bats need more to survive, but paying 20 points for just one more supporting attack just doesnt seem to be worth it.
question about varghulfs: can they fly? the model has wings, but the entry doesnt have the fly rule. is this a misprint or can it really not fly?

thanks for the feedback :)

Maoriboy007
15-09-2010, 07:47
Drop one or two heros and replace them with an extra Lord, I would recommend a Fighter Lord Build (Dreadknight or AoD with Hatred) and a bunker caster build (L3 or greater with Helm , Forbidden Lore and summon power).

If models are not a factore then go for Ghouls. If you're stuck with Skeletons, you'll need those units 30+ to start.
It may be worth swapping one of those spirit hosts for a coach, if you can stand a possible drain on your magic.

Little Joe
15-09-2010, 08:17
I agree with 1,2 and 4, but i was under the impression that units could still be invocationed while in combat.
sure, necromancers can do the same spells as vamps for about half the points, but only the vamps can take the power to raise skeles above their starting strength.
I like your idea for the bsb.
I dont understand how the spirit hosts will be taking combat res wounds. it seems like they will almost always get the same or more wounds than the average unit's rank and banner bonuses.
I agree that fell bats need more to survive, but paying 20 points for just one more supporting attack just doesnt seem to be worth it.
question about varghulfs: can they fly? the model has wings, but the entry doesnt have the fly rule. is this a misprint or can it really not fly?

thanks for the feedback :)

Like I said, just some first thoughts. Don't take me too serious.

You can invokate units in combat, but augments are more important. And you can only cast so many spells.

Good point on the vampires in your list, but necromancers will do just as well with larger starter units.

Spirit hosts will not have ranks and banner, nor can they negate them. So 3 enemy ranks and one banner and 12 WS3 S3 attacks(equal strong enemy takes three wounds before armour saves on average). A better WS on the enemy and you loose even more than by 1 on average. I overcalculated sorry, but they will not do well for the points invested. Four cairn wraiths have the same number of attacks and S5(can kill monsters), you will sacrifice 4 wounds for terror and skirmish but I think they will do better. Even more so if you go a bit larger, say 4 swarms compared to 4 wraiths and a banshee.

Use one flying vampire to hunt war machines or a varghulf, don't sacrifice units in 8th that "might" work. VP will loose you the game, especially ones so easy earned. Varghulfs don't fly, but are vampires and so can march at M8 independant from your general(good for hunting war machines), your bats are a lot slower once out of reach.

Maoriboy007 has some good points on lords and ghouls. The coach works well, but I think you are aiming for a rather magic heavy list so depends on your magic pool like he pointed out.

Max zero
15-09-2010, 10:17
3000 points and you have 1 offensive unit.

Where are the magic items and Forbidden Lore? All those casters sole role is to cast IoN if you have any PD to spare. IoN spam is 7th edition, time to move on.

Get a Power Stone and Power Scroll in there. Some Forbidden Lore (Death/Light/Shadow) would help a heap.

Seems like a 7th edition list that hasn't been updated.