PDA

View Full Version : New Player High Elves 2k (TOFP List)

Holyboy
16-09-2010, 14:20
Hi guys, wrote this list for my Tales of Fantasy Painters, I've not played warhammer since 4th edition when I collected High Elves, but this new box set has filled me with nostalgia so I've bought the new Island of Blood set and am basing an army around that, with the likely addition of a battalion box.

Any feedback is much appreciated, it's not meant to be a power list but something I'll enjoy playing with and perhaps can win the odd game as well!

In particular I've no idea on decent combinations for my characters so feedback there would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Archmage, Level 4, Book of Hoeth 360 pts

Noble (General), Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Charmed Shield, Radiant Gem of Hoeth 149 pts

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer), Great Weapon; Dragon Armour, Banner of the World Dragon 184 pts

19 Lothern Sea Guard, Light Armour, Shield, Spear, Bow, Full Command 272 pts
(Archmage goes in this unit)

18 Spearmen, Light Armour, Shield, Spear, Full Command 187 pts
(Both Nobles go in this unit)

10 Archers, Hand Weapon, Longbow, Musician 115 pts

20 Sword Masters of Hoeth, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Full Command, Banner of Sorcery 380 pts

Lion Chariot of Chrace 140 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bow, Spear, Light Armour, Champion 112 pts

Great Eagle 50 pts

Great Eagle 50 pts

1999 pts

D'Haran
16-09-2010, 15:07
Overall a workable list, I'd drop the archers to pump more bodies into the spearmen and seaguard units, but I wouldn't take much more than min core requirements since as HE we have better things to spend our points on.

SM's are alot of offensive than WL's but they have very low survivability. They do come in the box so that's probably what's driving this decision, just try to keep them screened from missile fire. The BoS might be misplaced in this unit due to it's low survivability, though you may think about giving the champion the amulet of light or the obsidian trinket depending on if you play against undead or magic heavy lists.

If you have 2 Eagles at 2k you probably don't need to include an expensive unit of Reavers, a RBT might do you more good here.

Your BSB and General are practically naked, though immune to magic and fire. Once you get into combat they'll probably be picked off very quickly, you may think about swapping out the Radiant Gem and the Banner to make them more survivable. As far as builds I've seen a few, usually based around survival. Armour of Caledor is a must, along with the dawnstone or guardian phoenix (dawnstone is best unless attack ignores armour or is S6 or higher). It's hard to properly outfit more than 1 hero defensively unless you mount some, that way they all get a +2 save. BTW your general can't use a GW and a shield.

Archmage is good, but a miscast could take him out, I'd prefer seeing Teclis or sticking a different setup on him (etherial robe, talisman of saphery, and the staff to ignore your first miscast are a favorite build). Also what lore will he have?

Holyboy
16-09-2010, 16:07
You're right about the SM's being in just because i can get them in the box set, so they're likely to stay for now but once I expand past 2k I'll likely swap them out for some WL's.

The reason for the Mage/Noble Setup and the Banner of Sorcery is just from reading online I've heard that a good setup is lvl 4 (Shadow), Prince (Death) using the Death signature spell combined with the Prince's high leadership to snipe enemy characters. I figured this would work nearly as well with the noble. The banner is because a lot of what I've read also says to always use the banner if going with Shadow as you need the extra dice.

Thanks for the advice on the reaver's, I'll likely switch them out for the RBT then, I'd heard bad things about the RBT so figured I'd not use it but I'll get one with my battalion anyway so it's easy enough to switch in.

Thanks for the advice on the character setup as well, I'll take it on board and probably drop the idea of the Death Noble for a more survivable character, I've already painted a Noble with GW and Shield though, so although he can't use the combo, I guess most players would be ok if I said it's "part of" the Armour of Caledor and not a normal shield? Not sure on this but I love the figure as modelled :(

I can mount the BSB no problem, in fact it'd save me buying another Prince/Noble box, but how would his survivability be if riding around alone with no other cavalry? I've no experience of real playing but I figured he'd probably be picked off pretty easily.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and comment, it's much appreciated.

Holyboy

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
16-09-2010, 16:44
Welcome back to Warhammer mate.

Here are the unwritten rules of 8th Ed as I see them:

Protect your BSB at all costs-he is absolutely vital to the cause.Infantry bsb's are all the rage for good reason just now.Heavy Cav is rubbish so nobody takes it-this leaves nowhere for mateyboy to hide, thus infantry bsb.

Magic is mental

You have the choice of 9 decks and all the tricks in the world.You can do cool stuff like turn into a Dragon with a power scroll and then, when your opponent tries to stop you in his next magic phase using power dice, end it with the Annulian Crystal (on another wizard)

ASF is the stuff of the gods, buffed units of even spearmen will smash nearly anything.

Enjoy the new best army in the game and play like you have a pair......

Dan

g0ddy
16-09-2010, 17:23
If by end it, as in the magic phase - then youll need the vortex shard - which on top of requiring a lord level wizard to take I'm fairly sure it'll also dispels all remains in play spells (aka your dragon).

~ Zilla

thesheriff
16-09-2010, 21:27
I think generally, its quite a good list. Just some minor alterations;

Archmage, Lv.4, Forlaiths robes, Talismain of Saphery, Silver wand is what i would take. 5spells is very versitile and It removes the flaw thats wizards fall over in a light breeze.

The Combat noble's fine, spells and chopping power. Would'nt change him at all.

Banner of the world dragon is'nt really worth it small units, especcially spearmen. It's just magic paranoia. And its alot of points on a quite flimsy bsb. It's a cliche, but armour of caelador, guardain phoiniex, great weapon. Alternativly, for a bit of magic res, obsidian loadstone (MR3) and enchanted shield, dragon armour could work quite well, but i would then consider putting him in the sea-guard.

Drop the reavers, not really worth it. The're neither here nor there, and usually dont accomplish much.

Archers, same as above

you've got about 250pts to play with there with thsoe changes, so i would suggest beefing up spearmen, fitting in an extra swordsmaster (7x3) and some dragon princes prehaps. you could even mount your comabt mage noble to follow them with lore of beasts/wyssans wild form on them to make them really hard hitting them.

And, what lores were you planning. With banner of the world dragon, shadow or death could be cool. Without, life is always a good way to go, especially with the suggested build.

thesheriff

D'Haran
16-09-2010, 23:45
Magic Noble isn't horrible, but he is vulnerable. Mounted suggestion is more a if your army is going that way anyways kind of thing, other protection might include a 4+ wardsave or making enemies at -1 to hit (though I'd prefer the ward).

2 problems with RBT, only 2 wounds and most ppl bring more troops to the table. This is not to say they don't have their use and it's a decent place to put 100 pts.

If you manage to get enough pts together like the sheriff suggests you could include another block unit or more killy stuff rather than a RBT, I was trying to easy mode the list as I figured you're building out of the box.

Holyboy
17-09-2010, 11:50
Thanks guys I'm at work at the moment but I'll have a play around with the list and post a new one tonight (I think my staff might notice I'm slacking more if i pull out my army book to look up points values! :) )

As you say D'Haran at the moment I'm trying to get a playable list with as few purchases as possible so that I can get playing, then once I've got a few games under my belt and I know I'm sticking with the army I can look at expanding from there.

Thanks again for the responses and I'll post an updated list tonight

Holyboy
19-09-2010, 07:58
Hi guys, took on board what was said and came up with the following list. Again any feedback would be much appreciated.

Archmage @ 350 pts Level 4 Upgrade; Silver Wand, Talisman of Saphery, Folariath's Robe

Noble (General) @ 149 pts Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Charmed Shield, Radiant Gem of Hoeth

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 168 Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix

18 Lothern Sea Guard @ 259 Full Command, Bow; Spear; Light Armour; Shield

20 Spearmen @ 205 pts Full Command; Spear; Light Armour; Shield

10 Archers @ 110 pts (Hand Weapon; Longbow)

18 Sword Masters of Hoeth @ 365 pts Full Command, Great Weapon; Heavy Armour, Banner of Sorcery

Lion Chariot of Chrace @ 140 pts

Great Eagle @ 50 pts

Great Eagle @ 50 pts

Great Eagle @ 50 pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 100 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1996

To explain my choices, in terms of keeping the archers, I don't have enough core troops and would like to avoid buying anything else just now so they're in for the time being.

As for protection for the Noble/Mage, unfortunately as the Ring takes 45 points I have just 5 left for protection which is why he's a little unprotected.

Taken on board feedback for the BSB thanks, although again I've kept the SM's as is due to not having any more numbers.

As stated above, any other comments are great, and thanks for the feedback thus far!

thesheriff
19-09-2010, 08:47
Too many eagles. Drop one. Two is plenty, as you wont always come across an army with lone charecters or warmachines. You could even drop anouther for an extra RBT.

But, alot better in general

Holyboy
19-09-2010, 09:16
hmm thanks, yea I found myself with 50 points left over so threw an extra one in.

I could perhaps drop the Banner of Sorcery from the Swordmasters, plus one eagle and fit in another RBT?

How valuable is the banner? I've heard good things but also some of the feedback has said the SM's aren't great to carry it as they're fragile, but in this list it's the only unit that can carry it!

thesheriff
19-09-2010, 10:21
Never drop it. You have 2 wizards, 6 spells in total. Its invaluable to keep your magic phase ticking over. Swordsmasters ar'nt ideal to carry it, pg's are perfect, and white lions are good for it aswell. But, as you say, its the only unit that can carry it :p

lacurra
19-09-2010, 11:42
i think you need another infantry unit. you really only have 1 in the sword masters unless you are going to mind razor the spearmen. i would drop and eagle or two and take a unit of WL's or PG's

YoungKing
20-09-2010, 01:04
That Archmage with the Forlaith's, ToSaph, and Silver Wand is a great idea!Could really only be killed by other magic.

lacurra
20-09-2010, 12:46
watch out for dwarves with it still, their cannons if they have a rune in them, count as magical attacks.

D'Haran
20-09-2010, 13:12
Personally I like 2-3 Eagles in 2k, remember to tie up enemies with your anvils and then to smash them with one of your two hammers. I like the list, gl.

Holyboy
24-09-2010, 18:28
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll let you know how it goes as I build the list :)