PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz Dwarves - Thorek, Anvil or No Anvil?

Kalandros
16-09-2010, 17:54
Hmm, I'm having a hard time deciding on my semi finals list! D:

Thorek - Is incredibly expensive, but using him along with Miners and Longbeard Scouts with a strong army center, could overwhelm the flanks very early.

Anvil - Much less expensive, allows for some extra movement or some slowing down enemy units, allows a Tank-Dwarf Lord as well

No Anvil - Basic magic protection with the usual Runelord (MRofBalance, RofSpellbreaking), allows at least 1 or 2 extra units from the points saved by not taking an anvil (350~505 pts saved)

What to do? What to do?!
Should I go more 'Gunline' but with strong combat blocks instead of the Anvil? Its what I'm leaning toward at the moment, due to all the massive blocks, even if I flank and spank 'em, massive hordes are hard to shift!

amysrevenge
16-09-2010, 20:05
What about Thorek, and a BSB with Strollaz' for some turn 1 charges?

Fill the rest of the points with Warriors with great weapons and either 1 huge or 2 medium units of Miners. Maybe one cannon for monsters.

Not the way I play, but it sounds interesting, anyway.

D'Haran
16-09-2010, 22:47
I'd focus primarily on combat, but with some good war machine backup, probably 2-3 stone throwers and 2-3 cannons/Bolt Throwers. Those should be good enough to soften up the enemy with some runes thrown on, not to mention you don't get shut out of combat since they don't 'target' units.

The anvil is fun but in general I don't find it as useful in this edition, what with a lot more troops hitting the table and fear loosing it's auto break edge, it really just doesn't perform as well for the points as it once did. While Grudge Throwers got a lot better. I wouldn't take Thorek or the Anvil, unless you're looking for that early charge, but I don't think the points are worth the trick there either.

Gotrek
17-09-2010, 00:41
i wouldn't use any more chars apart from BSB, runesmiths and perhaps a master rune of challenge wielding thane.

troops and warmachines is where the strength of dwarfs is.