PDA

View Full Version : Identifing Army Books

eron12
17-09-2010, 02:57
Since GW often does not include copyright dates or editions with its armybooks, I'm trying to discover ways to identify when various books were published. I'm going to list my understanding of the books and hopefully people will correct and add information.

The clearest division I can see is in cover art. I don't have a better way to discribe this than cartoony and non-cartoony. As far as I can tell, the cartoony covered books are from 4th edition (and maybe earlier) and the others are 5th, 6th and 7th. So 4th is easy to tell.

I believe 5th edition still had percentages instead of slots, so if a book uses them it's from 5th. (At least until the 8th ed books start coming out).

This leaves 6th and 7th. Here's where I'll be asking more. Are the books that are ordered unit info, magic items, army list, then a few special characters 6th ed books? The ones with where the army list has the main info in the middle and other info in sidebars? Or is this not a distinct style?

Also, according to Wikipedia, five armies are still using 6th ed books, is this correct?

Duke Georgal
17-09-2010, 03:17
6th edition books:

Bretonnia
Wood Elves
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings

Which one am I missing?

Ultimate Life Form
17-09-2010, 03:19
Yes, some armies are still using 6th Edition.

There is no real structure to Army Books; every single one is unique so it's not possible to tell from structure. However there are some indicators.

First, 7th Ed books seem to be a lot bigger than their 6th Ed counterparts, containing up to 50% more pages, containing tons of background and stuff.

Second, later 7th Edition books throw Special Characters at you in bucketloads, so if you have a book with 10+ Special Characters it is not 6th Edition.

Third, 7th Ed books have a 'clean' layout I don't really know any way to describe it better. 6th Ed books often had a sophisticated page design, where there was some kind of 'background' inserted underneath the text as to make it look like it was printed on age-old parchment or something. In addition there were unique pages strewn in that looked like a collection of papers, authentic letters or such things, it really had flair. 7th books, on the other hand, keep the design clean, it's like reading a magazine with an occasional artwork strewn in in the corners. really boring if you ask me.

Fourth, the stories. 6th Ed books typically contained interesting short stories. Not the anecdotes we get today, but real stories like in a novel where you're introduced to a character and witness an event with his own eyes. For example the 6th Skaven book contained a story for each of the four clans, like Moulder assaulting a Vampire castle, Pestilens fighting against Lizardmen and so on. This was a really nice feature, and I'm sad it's gone.

And fifth, the hobby part. Meaining the colored pages. In 6th Ed, they typically gave a guide to painting and modelling and would write things like, 'for this cool conversion, we used X and Y. Then we undersoated it with Skull White and applied colors 1 and 2, and then drybrushed it with color 3.' (Note they used the old colors in these examples obviously). In 7th, the 'hobby' part is reduced to a catalogue along the lines of 'look how cool our models are'. Not very helpful indeed.

Also sixth, yes, 6th Edition army list sections will typically have a sidebar and many illustrations, and contain references to now-extinct mercenary units.

So as you see, the changes are a double-edged sword. While I appreciate the bigger background sections, at the same time the books lost a lot of their flavor, and it becomes apparent in 7th Skaven and Beastmen that the writers quickly ran out of ideas as to what to write in that huge background part and filled it up with ever redundant anecdotes, so it's kind of an empty box.

Georgal: Dwarves obviously.

eron12
17-09-2010, 04:06
6th edition books:

Bretonnia
Wood Elves
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings

Which one am I missing?

The Wikipedia article said Dwarfs.

Kulgur
17-09-2010, 04:15
Armies still on 6th ed books:
Bretonnia
Wood Elves
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings
Dwarfs

If you wanted you could also technically add the other lists:
Kislev (booklet)
Dogs of War (ravening hordes book)
Chaos Dwarfs (ravening hordes book)
All the variant lists from the various campaign books

Gerwulf
17-09-2010, 04:58
The wikipedia article is wrong.

Dwarfs got an update for their armybook, which was basically the same as the old armybook with a few tweaks (changes to Anvil, Lords and heroes got gromil armour included in price, master engineer (not sure what the english title is), normal engineers became part of crew, longbeards an upgrade and not stand alone entry)

mweaver
17-09-2010, 05:04
wikipedia? wrong??

Gerwulf
17-09-2010, 05:11
sorry, double post

BobtheInquisitor
17-09-2010, 05:22
Just so you know, the publication dates are printed on the bottom of the back cover of all the army books. If you know which years each edition covered, you could just look at the little print and find where the book belongs.

Now I'm curious, though. Is there a good article about which editions were printed in which years?

Crymson
17-09-2010, 07:03
4th Edition - 1992
5th Edition - 1996
6th Edition - 2000
7th Edition - 2006?
8th Edition - 2010

mistrmoon
17-09-2010, 07:24
dwarfs have the 6.5 book, it was technically printed in the era of 6th but was done with a lot of 7th in mind. But strictly speaking it is a 6th book.

Avian
17-09-2010, 08:48
Stuff:

http://www.avianon.net/misc/releases.php

Ultimate Life Form
17-09-2010, 08:50
Drat, is there anything that's not on your site?

AndrewGPaul
17-09-2010, 08:59
The style of the "Warhammer" logo is also a guide. Not always foolproof, but as far as I can see, books have the same logo as the edition under which they were released. Of course, the last 3 editions have had awfully similar logos, which isn't helpful. :)

When did they go from unique spine colours to every book using the same dark red?

Halelel
17-09-2010, 09:00
What is interesting is that 2010 was the first year only a single Fantasy armybook was published. It makes one wonder if 2011 will be like 2008 with 4 or more armybooks being released.

Anyways, I digress, but the answer is on Avian's website, :)

Avian
17-09-2010, 09:11
Drat, is there anything that's not on your site?
Naked elf babes?

When did they go from unique spine colours to every book using the same dark red?
2004 or thereabouts IIRC.

Leogun_91
17-09-2010, 09:40
The wikipedia article is wrong.

Dwarfs got an update for their armybook, which was basically the same as the old armybook with a few tweaks (changes to Anvil, Lords and heroes got gromil armour included in price, master engineer (not sure what the english title is), normal engineers became part of crew, longbeards an upgrade and not stand alone entry)They got this just before 7th edition was released and the book has many times been refered to as 6,5. As one can see on the numbers of dwarfs in the plastic kits from the time the book was based on 6th edition (compare to the dwarf miners released at the time of Nemesis Crown).

Da Crusha
17-09-2010, 09:53
you can look at the binding of the book. 7th ed books have a solid red color binding while 6th ed have a fading light to dark red on the binding.

Duke Georgal
17-09-2010, 10:22
For some reason I was thinking the latest Dwarf book was much more recent than that.

The Clairvoyant
17-09-2010, 11:12
Most of the books are identifiable by the warhammer logo as the font has changed with each edition. So once you have worked out the logo for 4th, just go through and match it to the other books

4th and 5th both used %ages for army selection. 5th edition brought in reinforcing spells so there may well be a mention of those in the 5th books under a magic item or a character. High Elves were given a second book in 4th ed which added in Prince Imrik (as high elves only had 3 special chars in their original 4th ed book) but maybe this was 5th. Its a long time ago and i don't play HE but do remember the article in WD.

6th ed books originally had full page artwork on the cover, but later print runs had the red border.
Special characters are also added as an appendix after the army list with their points values shown on the rules page rather than the army list page. For 7th ed books, they are listed in the main army list with their points cost.

sigur
17-09-2010, 11:27
Isn't it the easiest to just look at the publishing year if you really can't just look it up on Lexicanum or somewhere else?

The Clairvoyant
17-09-2010, 11:53
No. It has to be done the hard way! >:(

Ultimate Life Form
17-09-2010, 11:58
I know GW like secrecy, but this is ridiculous. Many of the books give you no clue as to when they were first released, or which Edition they are from. After all the hobbies I've been through this is definitely a first.

AndrewGPaul
17-09-2010, 13:52
What's the issue? It doesn't really matter; just buy whatever one is on sale in GW (or on their website), and it'll be the current one. The only problem is buying from the second-hand market, which isn't GW's concern.

Ultimate Life Form
17-09-2010, 14:07
Other companies take pride in their history, their achievements and a fanatically loyal fan base and reward them with cameos and other surprises. GW is the only one I have ever seen that would love nothing better than wiping their history, and indeed their very existence from all records. I had one heck of a hard time learning about earlier versions of the game when I started out, and indeed many things are still a mystery to me. To them there is only the present, and that's 25 years of wasted potential.