PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 2000pt list, new player

Tomo009
17-09-2010, 06:06
Well I'm new to Fantasy, played a bit of 40k before but making the switch with skaven.

LORDS:
Grey Seer
-Talisman of Preservation
-Power Stone

HEROES:
Deathmaster Snikch

Chieftain
-Standard Bearer
-Storm Banner
-shield
(Not sure if I've done the points caluclation here correctly, also not sure about equipment choice)

Total:392

CORE:
40x Clanrats
Warpfire Thrower

40x Clanrats
Poisoned Wind Mortar

20x Night Runners
slings

20x Night Runners
slings

Total: 775

SPECIAL:
6x Gutter Runners
slings/poison
Deathrunner
-Weeping Blade

6x Gutter Runners
slings/poison
Deathrunner
-Weeping Blade

Total:300

RARE:
Doomwheel

OVERALL TOTAL:1922

Is this list at least somewhat competitive? I don't want cheese but I really don't want a useless army either. Basic tactics would be to charge doomwheel through opponents flank, tie up opponents with night runners and destroy dangerous targets with the gutter runners/snikch with clanrats mostly for numbers.

Tomo009
19-09-2010, 07:11
69 views, 0 comments? Don't wan't to sound desperate with the bump, but any feedback would be really helpful, especially as this is my first fantasy list.

Sliver
19-09-2010, 07:42
I dont have any practical experience, but since I'm paiting up a skaven army atm, I got a somewhat good clue what is good and not. One of the reasons you dont have an answer might be that Eshin lists are not very common. I wont comment on special characters, we never play them in my gaming group.

The BSB is a bit underprotected, since its a very important character, but on the other hand, banner of storm is very good. A unit of monks or stormvermin might be better carriers thou.

I like your big clanrat blocks, hope you have command and shields for them (but avoid spears).

I'm really not sure about the nightrunner blocks, 20 is quite small, and they still cost as much as a 30 block of clan rats. And numbers are very important in 8th, for skaven especially.

Same about the gutterrunners, 6 rats for 150 seems far to fragile.

I'd swap the eshin stuff for skaven slaves, plague monks. And to add some punch, a hellpit abomination, a warplightning cannon or a doomwheel. Screaming bell / plague furnance are good investments aswell. But well, if you like eshin, give it a try.

Nemesis7884
19-09-2010, 07:51
more shooting, also more template shooting, more magic, more rats, as many as possible, more plaque stuff against low resistance enemies (such as elves and humans -> plaque monks for the plaque spell, furnace, censer bearers, monks, catapult etc... resistance 3 enemies drop like flies when hit with the plaque stuff

Scarecrow
19-09-2010, 08:08
Pestilence is my favorite clan out of all of 'em. Monks and a priest w/ a flail eat everything.

For the list more slaves, they are essential to the army and prolly one of our better units.

Tomo009
19-09-2010, 11:47
Hmm that's kind of what I was dreading, love the army but running with masses of slave units seems very boring, the Eshin stuff was what interested me most but they all seem so overpriced. Definitely have/had the intention of adding a hellpit abomination when a model is released as I really don't trust my own sculpting skills and was already toying with the idea of seer on bell.

I'm quite competitive but as it is just a hobby to me and I want to have fun, its looking a little like skaven aren't for me as I thought they were, I'm definitely not against adding in some pestilens units/slaves but I was hoping that an Eshin backbone could be competitive. The current army book perhaps just don't allow that.

Scarecrow
19-09-2010, 17:39
Hmm that's kind of what I was dreading, love the army but running with masses of slave units seems very boring, the Eshin stuff was what interested me most but they all seem so overpriced. Definitely have/had the intention of adding a hellpit abomination when a model is released as I really don't trust my own sculpting skills and was already toying with the idea of seer on bell.

I'm quite competitive but as it is just a hobby to me and I want to have fun, its looking a little like skaven aren't for me as I thought they were, I'm definitely not against adding in some pestilens units/slaves but I was hoping that an Eshin backbone could be competitive. The current army book perhaps just don't allow that.

You don't have to to field hordes of slaves for 'em to be effective. People still run out on the field with units of around 21-25.

And by all means go with what you want to field, it is your army after all. If you like Eshin, field Eshin. Gutter Runners are really popular exactly how you have 'em. And Night Runners are good with the Warp-grinder. Eventually I plan on getting a unit of Gutter Runners myself, their the Under Empires version of Chameleon Skinks, that are slightly more expensive but can also fight in CC.

Looking over your list again, you only have one flanking unit. It's not going to be happy times when the DoomWheel gets sniped. I strongly suggest dropping one unit of Night Runners (one is all you need IMO, especially with two units of Gutter Runnes) for some slaves or if you don't want slaves another block of something so you can be able to flank something.

If you want additional help or more of it (this sites kinda slow on replies) hit up underempire.net. Much better for skaven discussion there than here.