PDA

View Full Version : Expanding An Empire Army

Danny76
17-09-2010, 09:28
Ok so I played my first game of 8th edition last weekend. My first game of fantasy in years in fact.
Did a small 1k battle with my empire vs Orcs & Goblins.
Got a victory which really swung me back into wanting to game more. Normally I was just more of a modeler and painter.

I was hoping for some ideas of where to go from here.

This is the list I was using. It may not be exact as I'm at work so it's from memory.

Mounted general with all the trimmings magic item is that ward save armor.
Level 4 wizard with the grey wand. Possibly had that casting armor if there were points left.
20 swordsman with FC.
20 spears and shields FC.
5 pistoliers with outrider and repeater.
Rocket battery.
Mortar.

I'll update it exactly when I get home.

Now moving on to 1500 points. What should I look to be adding or taking out?

Thanks,
Danny

knightime98
17-09-2010, 10:42
I think you are off to a good start.

I'd just try to expand with more troops.
You always need them.

Getting a unit of Flaggies or Greatswords would go a long ways.
Adding detachments to your block troops is always a good way to go also.
The next character added should be a BSB (very valuable in 8th!)

So, keep it up!

scarvet
17-09-2010, 11:04
Outrider, more artillery and of course troops.

freddieyu
17-09-2010, 11:14
agreed..bigger blocks = good...I would endeavour for 30 man blocks....and the more troops you can get detachments...

Get a cannon too.....

theorox
17-09-2010, 11:24
Yeah, up the units of State Troops to 30, and add in some detachments. (Handgunners/crossbowmen?) Maybe another WM, like a cannon? A BSB too.

Looks like a solid start, i think! I don't really know much about empire, but still, looks good! ;)

Theo

Danny76
17-09-2010, 12:37
I shall look into those options.
I've got 2.5k of stuff so many of these won't require additional purchase which is good =)
I'll have to grab a BSB. Everyone says they are a necessity.
I can do shooty detatchments. And I think I still have 20 unbuilt state troops.
Anything particular item wise for characters?

Lord Lucifer
17-09-2010, 12:46
Getting a unit of Flaggies or Greatswords would go a long ways.

I cannot disagree strongly enough.
Maximum unit size of 30, at ten points a pop, for a model with WS2 and T3, no armour, striking at Initiative 3, they're the closest thing to worthless you're ever likely to encounter.

They get hit too easily by everything (bar Goblins), they suffer wounds to everything, have no save against anything, and bugger all will remain to strike back.
Because everything strikes in 2+ ranks now, they'll get mowed through in short order.

Go with Greatswords. They are far, far more worthwhile

freddieyu
17-09-2010, 13:02
Maximum unit size of 30, at ten points a pop, for a model with WS2 and T3, no armour, striking at Initiative 3, they're the closest thing to worthless you're ever likely to encounter.

They get hit too easily by everything (bar Goblins), they suffer wounds to everything, have no save against anything, and bugger all will remain to strike back.
Because everything strikes in 2+ ranks now, they'll get mowed through in short order.

I like Greatswords too...add in the fact they can get a banner, thus improving your fortitude points....then they are definitely the better choice..BUT...

Flagellants are NOT worthless. They still have their uses, and that is to die messily hopefully locking in an enemy unit/s even when totally surrounded.....a buffed out flagellant unit (ex lore of life) can become a tarpit against anything out there, especially when the nutters get regrown...

Phytrion
17-09-2010, 13:52
You should definitely expand the size of your blocks - 20 is just not enough anymore. The volume of attacks has increased, and the value of size for steadfast makes it a must. I would consider halberds for some infantry, a 40 man halberd unit with a warrior priest for rerolls can be pretty deadly for their point cost, and will force your opponent to deal with a threat besides your war machines.

Kiras of the flame
18-09-2010, 05:06
I like outriders...

knightime98
18-09-2010, 07:48
With regards to Flaggelants;

I'll say this much for Flagellants.
1. They are UNBREAKABLE!
2. They have, "The End is Nigh!" rule - absolutely awesome!
3. They have 2 strength 5 attacks (rerolling misses with TEIN rule in #2, rerolling wounds possibly and likely also) in the first round of combat.

Sure they have weaknesses, but if used properly, They can be an absolute game winner. If you have a Warrior Priest they count as CORE!

Not to mention that you can buff these guys with whatever lore; just a few examples
Lore of Light - Can make them WS 10 AND I 10!
Lore of Life - Throne of Vines with Flesh to Stone makes them T 7!!!! can you say, "SWEET!"

Of course you can even hex your opponents units and so on.

Naturally, this is just moving this unit along in some context that can make it even more of a viable choice in a given situation.

However, the likelihood of you casting these spells are limited and just as well may be dispelled but none the less, IF you get them off this unit will be a force to be reckoned with...

Don't underestimate the use of Flaggies! I crushed 2 units of WoC Khorne Knights with one unit of Flaggies. In 7th Edition I was able to counter charge one unit killing it.. And the Flaggies were right in front of the 2nd unit of Khorne Knights... Too bad, those Knights got, the "beast cowers" and could not charge in their turn! I charged them in mine and KILLED THEM.. .

So, proper use in a timely manner can result in a crucial victory!

Proctorkorps
19-09-2010, 16:01
what formation should the 30 blocks be in? 5x6 or 6x5? leaning towards 5x6

papabearshane
19-09-2010, 16:34
5x6 as youll get an extra round of stedfast and all your really trading it for is 2 attacks.......................

+ once you get up there in points a 6x5 frontage takes up some all needed room on deployment......................

Novrain
19-09-2010, 16:35
Either, and just quick reform them.

Souppilgrim
20-09-2010, 06:27
Count me in the flaggies suck camp. They cost the same as greatswords... greatswords are better at everything. Hammer, anvil, tarpit. Greatswords are better. I like the fluff of flagellants, and that can be reason enough to take them, but that's pretty much the only reason. Not to mention the flagellant plastics make them all look like Mr. Universe contestants. When they are not in a religious fervor, apparently they drink protein supplements and take vitamins.

scarvet
20-09-2010, 07:28
Flaggelants is way less valuable in 8th because:
1)Hordes are good;
2)You can take greatswords and artillery and outriders
3)WS2 I3 models cost more than 6pts is just bad....