PDA

View Full Version : Hordes and thrown weapons

mr.silly
19-09-2010, 02:48
Can a unit in horde formation (10 frontage, 3 ranks) use thrown weapons in 3 ranks, and multi-shoot?

For example, a unit of 30 gnoblars in horde formation - could they all multi-shoot with their sharp stuff, resulting in 60 shots?

If so, where is the rule for this? I cant find it.

Chris_
19-09-2010, 02:52
Horde formation only makes it possible for you to make support attacks from an extra rank (which only applies in close combat).

You can shoot in two ranks though so it would still be 40 shots with the multiple shots rule if they are 10 wide and at least 2 deep.

Ultimate Life Form
19-09-2010, 05:02
If so, where is the rule for this? I cant find it.

As has been said there's a reason for this.

SiNNiX
19-09-2010, 06:10
Hordes are dumb. Don't use them.

Wasn't that a jerk thing for me to say? But seriously, don't use them. I say "NO!" to GW's plan to make more money! :)

Surgency
19-09-2010, 06:11
Hordes are dumb. Don't use them.

Wasn't that a jerk thing for me to say? But seriously, don't use them. I say "NO!" to GW's plan to make more money! :)

but I already had 140 rats... just made sense to horde them up so I could run more of the fun things!

SiNNiX
19-09-2010, 06:14
but I already had 140 rats... just made sense to horde them up so I could run more of the fun things!

Fair enough, I suppose. 20mm bases help too. I just wouldn't do it personally. With 20mm bases, I find frontages of 7 are usually best. With rats, 7x5 or even 7x6 is just the way to go! :)

Ultimate Life Form
19-09-2010, 06:25
I thought the same, but my Plague Monks ended up in horde formation during one game and dished out 40 attacks each turn, slicing and dicing their way through the enemy Black Orcs. It was a terrible sight to behold.

frapermax
19-09-2010, 15:56
I'm with SinniX too. Hordes are just a temporary thing (for almost all armies). The whole steadfast rule is there to support that.

SiNNiX
19-09-2010, 19:42
I'm with SinniX too. Hordes are just a temporary thing (for almost all armies). The whole steadfast rule is there to support that.

We had a few people when 8th first came out that fielded hordes. Mainly just Skaven and O&G players. But when they realized that it's more destructive than constructive, that changed their unit composition a little to frontages of 7 which work great.