PDA

View Full Version : Mutants of the Empire. Mutant army list?

Abraham Danglebreech
19-09-2010, 21:42
Hello,

I've been very slowly converting/kit-bashing some mutants to use in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, specifically those described in The Enemy Within campaign. More a labour of love than for any practical use (not played for years).

I was thinking it might be pretty good to use the minis in a Warhammer army (not played Warhammer for yonks either). At first I thought Beastmen (Gors, Ungors) or maybe WoC (marauders?).... or both.

Now I'm thinking I could create a mutant army using The Empire army book.

I like the Empire minis and I reckon an army of mutated Empire troops could look pretty mighty.

Has anybody else done this?

Any more ideas?

Thanks

drear
19-09-2010, 22:06
it seems like a great idea, empire are only humans, so they would be corrupted as easily as any other human in the WFB world.
possessed steamtank, flamers as crossbowmen?
alot of tenticles and claws?

Abraham Danglebreech
19-09-2010, 22:23
Possessed Steamtank! Didn't even consider war machines. Stylish

I've only ticked 8 off my list of 31 (not including the 30 villagers, 24 birdfolk and 15 mutant cats I have to make).

So far I have "with rotting skin" "dog-like head", "pointed head", winged mutant with spear", "beak face", "fur covered", "tentacled beastman" and "Slurd" a butler with a claw.

I was looking at The Empire range earlier. The Greatswords ought to look mighty all mutied up

Agoz
20-09-2010, 00:10
aren't there only like seven or so steam tanks in existence? I doubt one of them is possessed :p

Proctorkorps
20-09-2010, 01:31
doesn't necassarily have to be a steam tank, maybe a lumbering demon of some sort. a big-ass bloodcrusher? maybe somehow combine two or more spawn/deamon prince kits?

LordZombie
20-09-2010, 05:06
I bought quite a few of the old lost and damned bits packs when they came out and used them to make mutants. I use them as marauders armed with flails. The flail comes from their first attack being a fit of jerking and flailing arms and what not.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-09-2010, 08:32
aren't there only like seven or so steam tanks in existence? I doubt one of them is possessed :p

12 of which 4 has been lost, so there is plenty of room for a possessed one.

Fluffwise the 'mutant army' would be BoC though. Where 'mutants' would be ungors/spawn, as the empire has a little tradition for dumping their undesirables in the forests, where they are then picked up by the beasts.

mrtn
20-09-2010, 13:54
I think beastmen would fit best, both thematically and rules-wise, I can't see an army of mutant knights, mutant cannon, mutant handgunners and so on.

I can see an army with mutants as ungors, which isn't a big stretch at all. I have some mutants in my ungor unit, gives some nice variety.

roadkizzle
20-09-2010, 15:52
I'd say go for it. I'd probably play it as a group of mutants were able to get away from some empire city, and created their own civilization hidden away in some forests/mountains hard to be found by the empire.

For some reason wish they could still be accepted, so have taken to emulating the empires armed forces. They would help protect the imperial cities from dangers that they were not aware were coming.

I'd say you could even have the mutants were able to steal/re-engineer a steam tank and artillery of their own. I would avoid use of a schooled wizard, and probably also warrior priests, even though they could probably also have some religious warrior monks of some sort.

Abraham Danglebreech
20-09-2010, 23:01
proctorkorps, I reckon combining a Steamtank with a spawn might look rather majestic

Lord Zombie, sounds good, do you have a pics of your mutants I could see?

Lord of Divine Slaughter and Mrtn, I was originally going with BoC. I like the idea of mutants being given/giving themselves to the forest, with some being taken in by Beastmen. I also like the idea of cultists getting involved. Do you have any pics of your mutant Ungors Mrtn?

Road Kizzle, one possible background I was considering was an Empire army being mutated. Maybe they unwittingly marched through an area corrupted by chaos. I like the idea of them turning against the Empire.

Thanks for the suggestions :) You have all given me plenty to think about as I continue converting my minis. I reckon a project log might be in order.

mrtn
20-09-2010, 23:33
Lord of Divine Slaughter and Mrtn, I was originally going with BoC. I like the idea of mutants being given/giving themselves to the forest, with some being taken in by Beastmen. I also like the idea of cultists getting involved. Do you have any pics of your mutant Ungors Mrtn?

Gors made from bloodbowl mutants. (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=rankedbeastmen7.jpg)
(Unpainted) ungor mutants, with tentacles, and a horn on a shoulder. (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=ungors8.jpg)
Unicorngor (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=ungor7.jpg)
Extra arms (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=mutantgor3.jpg)
Liongor (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=Liongor1.jpg)

There are more pics in my painting diary (link in sig).

Abraham Danglebreech
21-09-2010, 23:07
Good stuff mrtn. Particularly like what you've been doing to the mutant Ungors. Flagellant bits and Daemonettes? Had a look at your Southlands Beastmen. Really like the way you've painted the Nurgle Cultists. How will you field them? I actually bought those same minis (Possessed Warband) to use as Cultists too, but I'll be going Tzeentch with mine.

mrtn
22-09-2010, 01:39
Thank you. Actually, I've used neither flagellants or daemonettes. ;) Hairy head sprue and ungors mostly, with some bits from kroot, skaven, skinks, marauders...
The cultists are for my Nurgling army. I made it as a Vampire Counts As army, with nurglings as ghouls, but with the changes to VC in 8th when it comes to core and standards and so on I'm unsure what to do with them. But the cultists are grave guard.

cornixt
22-09-2010, 01:39
Evil Empire is the only way I'd do an Empire army.

It makes sense that people who were raised in the Empire would keep the same traditions.

IGoblinego
22-09-2010, 14:51
prepare for the Ash

Abraham Danglebreech
22-09-2010, 23:34
Hmmmm, was thinking today: mutated "evil" empire army with WoC or Beastmen allies....

Lord of Divine Slaughter
23-09-2010, 08:20
Evil Empire is the only way I'd do an Empire army.

The empire is an evil, fascist empire of nastiness, only surpassed by the depraved civilisation of the oppressing 'high' elves :p

SkawtheFalconer
23-09-2010, 16:51
12 of which 4 has been lost, so there is plenty of room for a possessed one.

Off-topic, but how do you lose a Steam Tank?

Reminds me of that old Red Dwarf gag:

"Where's Red Dwarf?"

"I don't know, Lister's the one who parked it"

pointyteeth
23-09-2010, 19:26
I really like this idea! From the description of the mutations you've done, it sounds like you're using the mutation chart from the old 3rd edition chaos? I agree that under current fluff Beastmen would be a better base for the army, but Empire could work just fine from the whole "enemy within" theme (which personally was my favorite of GW's interpretations of Chaos).

Abraham Danglebreech
23-09-2010, 23:08
From the description of the mutations you've done, it sounds like you're using the mutation chart from the old 3rd edition chaos?

Glad you like the idea :) The descriptions come straight form The Enemy Within campaign book 1. Included is a random mutation page. It came out around the same time as Warhammer third edition so it figures that the mutant generation tables are the same.

Black Industries brought out a book called Tome of Corruption for WFRP 2nd edition (might still be able to get it from Fantasy Flight). There's a whole 37 page chapter on mutants with most of that taken up by a random mutation generator with catalogue!

Abraham Danglebreech
29-09-2010, 00:03
I've started a project log: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277226