PDA

View Full Version : WoC 2500 League list- What would you change?

Lochaber
20-09-2010, 00:14
So the NC Winter league is coming up soon, and I'm getting my list in order. I took this list to a friendly tournament at my shop, and did ok with it (placed 4th out of 12, just shy of getting prize money) considering I made it just off the top of my head for giggles.

Lords:
Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch, lvl 4, MoT, Disc, conjoined homunculus, blood of tzeentch, charmed shield, talisman of preservation

Heroes:
Exalted BSB, shield, chaos steed, MoT, biting blade, stream of corruption, dawnstone

Exalted hero, shield, chaos steed, MoT, warrior bane, luckstone

Sorcerer of Slaanesh, lvl 2, MoS, Steed of Slaanesh, golden eye of tzeentch, stream of corruption

Core:
18 Warriors w/ halberds & shields, MoN, full command, Banner of Rage

18 Warriors w/ halberds & shields, MoK, full command, Rapturous Standard

Special:
10 Knights w/ ensorcelled weapons, MoT, full command

Rare:
Hellcannon

Total: 2494

I'm looking for critiques and suggestions for what to change, though I also have a few ideas of my own:

-Drop the lvl 2 Sorcerer for a 2nd Hellcannon/some warhound screens
-Change up the gear on the Exalteds a bit for ASF/Killing Blow

Alric
20-09-2010, 06:22
So the NC Winter league is coming up soon, and I'm getting my list in order. I took this list to a friendly tournament at my shop, and did ok with it (placed 4th out of 12, just shy of getting prize money) considering I made it just off the top of my head for giggles.

Lords:
Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch, lvl 4, MoT, Disc, conjoined homunculus, blood of tzeentch, charmed shield, talisman of preservation

Heroes:
Exalted BSB, shield, chaos steed, MoT, biting blade, stream of corruption, dawnstone

Exalted hero, shield, chaos steed, MoT, warrior bane, luckstone

Sorcerer of Slaanesh, lvl 2, MoS, Steed of Slaanesh, golden eye of tzeentch, stream of corruption

Core:
18 Warriors w/ halberds & shields, MoN, full command, Banner of Rage

18 Warriors w/ halberds & shields, MoK, full command, Rapturous Standard

Special:
10 Knights w/ ensorcelled weapons, MoT, full command

Rare:
Hellcannon

Total: 2494

I'm looking for critiques and suggestions for what to change, though I also have a few ideas of my own:

-Drop the lvl 2 Sorcerer for a 2nd Hellcannon/some warhound screens
-Change up the gear on the Exalteds a bit for ASF/Killing Blow

I would take something else other than the hellcannon. I dont take a hellcannon for an army less than 3500 points. Chaos units win or loose on magic and melee , so I choose units that support melee and magic.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
20-09-2010, 15:07
I would take an unbreakable monster and handler unit that causes terror and shoots a really good stonethrower shot that causes -1 panic tests in every size game I could.
I'm taking one to a 1k on Saturday.

You need the puppet if you are going to hammer out big spells with the lvl 4.Saved my game many times, allowed the 6 dice Gateway with only a slight tremble.

I still reckon Pandamonium is the best spell available to us Chaos Worshippers though.

cheers,

Dan

Lochaber
20-09-2010, 15:22
Taking a second look at this list, I realize I'm actually over my item budget on the lvl 2! :o
Here's an updated list to correct that:

Lords:
Sorceror Lord, lvl 4, MoT, Disc, conjoined homunculus, blood of tzeentch, charmed shield, talisman of preservation

Heroes:
Exalted BSB, MoT, shield, chaos steed, biting blade, dawnstone, stream of corruption

Exalted Hero, MoT, shield, Axe of Khorne, luckstone

Sorceror, lvl 2, MoS, steed of slaanesh, infernal puppet, stream of corruption

Core:
18 Warriors, halberds & shields, MoN, Full command, Banner of Rage

18 Warriors, halberds & shields, MoK, Full command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Special:
10 Knights, ensorcelled weapons, MoT, Full command, Blasted Standard

Rare:
Hellcannon

Total: 2499

reddevil18
20-09-2010, 22:06
I have only just finnished reading the new rule book and havnt played a game yet but id say you need alot more troops tbh.
What are the tatics used with this list?

goodz
20-09-2010, 23:31
i would drop the level 2 and beef up the units of warriors. 10 knights is a huge point sink, i am not sure i understand why you would want 10 in one unit? Odds are 1 is going to die so you cant negate ranks, if you really like them i would split into units of 5 but i would drop to 1 unit of 6 use them to hunt warmachines/wizards and again buff up your warriors squads :)

Lochaber
21-09-2010, 02:20
I suppose a note on tactics wouldn't hurt here.

The Exalted hero and the BSB Exalted are running with the Knights, making a 6x2 block of heavy cavalry. This is the main hammer unit of the army, obviously, and has proven quite effective so far. In the tournament I played this list at, I massacred in all of my games but one (a bad matchup vs. empire gunline running 8 war machines) With the blasted standard, MoT, and characters who can reroll armor save(s), this is a highly survivable unit.

Originally I just took the lvl 2 slaanesh sorc for another potential threat spell so that I'd force my opponent to choose whether to dispel gateway or seizures. However, he's a very useful mobile support character, and can be charging enemy war machines in the flank or rear on turn 2 thanks to m10 and vanguard. He is a bit of a flash-in-the-pan sort of character though; once his breath weapon is done, there's very little reason to keep him around I find (other than his spells) Lore of Slaanesh is still great for WoC; nearly every spell is handy in some way, whether it's Aura of Acquiesence keeping my Warriors safe from a hell pit abom or Titillating Delusions keeping those Cold One Knights away from my flank, it's an all around great lore to have.

Chaos being a combat army, I've tried to protect my units against shooting as much as possible without nerfing their combat capability. The soft spot in this list is the Khorne warriors; with only 3+ armor vs. shooting and no - to hit or ward save like the knights or sorc lord, they're a bit more of a fragile target. I swapped out the Rapturous Standard for the Banner of Eternal Flame here because, being Frenzied, there are very few opportunities for them to benefit from the standard's bonus (or at least, they've never had to make an LD test of any kind while I've run them) Flaming attacks help immensely against HPA's, trolls and other such nasty business, though I could just as easily take the armor piercing banner instead.

AussieLauren
21-09-2010, 10:08
Thoughts;

If you can't seem to use the slanesshi sorcerer, aim for something big (With that 10" + 3d6 charge) and then 6-dice it, and movie up the pain with the infernal puppet. ultimate in "deathstar" :)

Or maybe you'd go better with bloodcurdling roar than stream?

Lochaber
21-09-2010, 13:16
Interesting; I hadn't really considered suicide miscast tactics with a chaos sorcerer. They've always seemed a bit too expensive for throwing at a unit and popping them on IF/miscasts (at least, too expensive compared to how Skaven can do it)

Still, in a list like this, a 185 point sorcerer is actually one of my cheaper units. It's definitely worth considering in a pinch.

As far as Bloodcurdling Roar vs. Stream of Corruption, I have to say I like stream a bit more because it can be used in combat (more specifically, to win challenges if I get unlucky and stuck in combat with a big block of dudes)

goodz
21-09-2010, 18:58
You removed the breath weapon from the level 2 so that is not there anymore, still not a huge fan of him, puppet is decent though to help avoid the odd chance of blowing yourself up. Stream is awesome though using in challenges is a great option. I use a exalted with Stream and dawnstone myself quite often in a unit of 5 knights though :P perhaps ill try 10 one day :)

Lochaber
21-09-2010, 20:01
You removed the breath weapon from the level 2 so that is not there anymore, still not a huge fan of him, puppet is decent though to help avoid the odd chance of blowing yourself up. Stream is awesome though using in challenges is a great option. I use a exalted with Stream and dawnstone myself quite often in a unit of 5 knights though :P perhaps ill try 10 one day :)

Fixed the list above. For a long time in 8th didn't even run with a backup caster, I just ran a 1-man show with my lvl 4. On a whim when throwing my list together I decided to add the lvl 2. I'm not entirely convinced yet. Slaanesh is a fantastic threat/support lore for WoC, but Tzeentch will always be my bread and butter lore. He's a pretty useful character, but he's also ended up fleeing the table a few times (a nasty habit of fleeing charging hordes and never being able to rally :()

The 10 block of knights is just fried gold. Mark of Tzeentch is pulling double duty here, helping protect the knights against shooting and also keeping them flexible. I used to run MSU of khorne knights, and I can't tell you how frustrating it was getting baited through terrain by cheap screening units like eagles or war riders. Not having frenzy means I'm free to charge what I want, when I want, and knights don't suffer as much as marauders do from not having that extra attack.

The real advantage of running a configuration like this is that it can take a great deal of punishment. 6x2 means your opponent will have to kill 2 knights before you lose rank bonus, which is no mean feat if you're always charging the right type of units with them. A lot of people have been quick to say that cavalry is dead in 8th. Those people probably don't play WoC. Even with all the buffs to ranked infantry, we still have arguably the best heavy cav in the game; now it's just a matter of getting the most bang for their cost in an edition that's biased against them. It's a cool thing to charge into my opponent's mage bunker, kill him down to 2 ranks, and then see his face when he realizes he's not steadfast anymore :evilgrin:

I'm really liking the elite army feel WoC can have now. At the tournament I went to, people couldn't believe I was running a 2500 pt. list with so few models. They were even more astounded when I massacred them. Low model count doesn't have to be a problem; I see it more as a case of quality vs. quantity. The clearest example of this is any game where I've played Skaven, but there are others.