PDA

View Full Version : Waywatchers: can they seriously do this?

Izzy
20-09-2010, 03:59
Apologies if this has already been covered, as my search-fu is not strong.

Anyway, WE Waywatchers can deploy, per WE pg 18, just like regular scouts but with no minimum distance to enemy models. Given the changes to the basic rules, does this mean they can now deploy almost anywhere? Am I missing something obvious?

Lazarian
20-09-2010, 04:06
Apologies if this has already been covered, as my search-fu is not strong.

Anyway, WE Waywatchers can deploy, per WE pg 18, just like regular scouts but with no minimum distance to enemy models. Given the changes to the basic rules, does this mean they can now deploy almost anywhere? Am I missing something obvious?

I do not have the wood elf book in front of me but if thats how it reads then its legal. With all of the changes to how the wood elf army has to work its not a super total overpower, though its stone cold nice when warmachine hunting. You would still have to follow the 1" between all model rule as normal.

Chris_
20-09-2010, 04:08
Seems like that. Cool, still have to abide by the 1" apart rule though.

Edit: Ninja'd

mishari26
20-09-2010, 06:33
but their army book says:
"Either place them exactly like Scouts, but with no minimum distance between them and the enemy, or place them in sight of the enemy (even in the open), but more than 12" away from them"

wouldn't this also mean that the 1st way of placing them has to be "out of LOS of the enemy"?

which brings us to the question.. what is the LOS of a warmachine? how do you determine the "eyes of the model"? :/

and if it's the frontal arc (I'm not saying it is).. how do you determine a warmachine's frontal arc?

decker_cky
20-09-2010, 07:35
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310264a_FAQ_WoodElves_2010_v11.pdf

It's been errata'd to normal scouting rules.

Ultimate Life Form
20-09-2010, 07:41
I wish people would for once actually start reading the errata before asking questions in the rule forum. :rolleyes:

VoodooJanus
20-09-2010, 08:15
I wish people would for once actually start reading the errata before asking questions in the rule forum. :rolleyes:

A fair request.

To be fair though, It's a really, really dumb ruling. I'm still pretty flabbergasted the devs decided to go the way they did.

Izzy
20-09-2010, 13:46
Oops. I did check the fact, but missed that. Thanks for the update.

theunwantedbeing
20-09-2010, 13:56
A fair request.

To be fair though, It's a really, really dumb ruling. I'm still pretty flabbergasted the devs decided to go the way they did.

You like having your war machines charged and killed on turn 1?

ooglatjama
20-09-2010, 17:30
You like having your war machines charged and killed on turn 1?

Only if you go second and allow the WW to sit there unmolested.

SiNNiX
20-09-2010, 17:50
Yep, they made Waywatchers (who are supposed to be the best archers/scouts ever) pretty pointless for their point cost.

theunwantedbeing
20-09-2010, 18:32
They get killing blow at short range, that's easily worth 8-10pts a model :P

SiNNiX
20-09-2010, 18:38
They get killing blow at short range, that's easily worth 8-10pts a model :P

Although this is true, a unit of waywatchers is 120 points minimum. Since the release of 8th edition, I've only seen them used when my friend and I play friendly games against each other. They never make up for those 120 points. Although KB at close range is amazing on paper, we're talking 5 shots. Assuming you don't miss with one of those (I find, even with needing 2's to hit, that controlling players usually roll a 1 with 5 dice), that's still 5 dice with S3 that you need 6's to kill anything. Sometimes you'll get one 6 out of those 5 (but usually 4) dice, but usually not.

Just basing all that off of what I've always seen from Waywatchers. And having played my best friend's WE army about 50 times over the past few years (thus facing Waywatchers about 50 times), I'd say I'm a pretty good reference. And that's not even counting the many times I've faced other WE players in tournaments over the past 4 years since the rulebook's been out. :)

mishari26
21-09-2010, 05:45
Killing blow on arrows? who really cares.. you're not gonna find a hero standing alone by himself. (and who brings heavily armored cavalry anymore)

and it doesn't work on monsters coz it's not heroic KB. MAYBE you'll find a Lord riding something, and still you'll have to randomize those 5 shots. 1-in-3 hitting the rider, and 1-in-6 KB, that's 1-in-18 hits, discounting misses.. good luck.

give them the "sniper" rule however... and now we're really talking!!

havoc626
21-09-2010, 07:29
Just thinking out loud here, but how is a warmachine covered by KB?

I don't have the book with me (so if it is covered, just say so, I can find the section) but I'm just thinking how it is treated because of the new warmachine rules and how crew are treated.

If warmachines aren't affected by KB, WW are fairly useless for warmachine hunting then, as they can only wound on a 6, so it could take a few rounds for them to bring one down.

Chris_
21-09-2010, 08:24
If it is not Heroic Killing Blow it doesn't work on WM. Killing blow only works on troops with the types of infantry, cavalry or warbeast. HKB works on everything except swarms.

Xzazzarai
21-09-2010, 13:57
Who cares about KB arrows at short range?

How about that level 4 Tzeentch mage on top of a chaos dragon who got shot down befor he even had a chance to move?

I bet he cares...

TheTrueSloth
21-09-2010, 14:13

How about that level 4 Tzeentch mage on top of a chaos dragon who got shot down befor he even had a chance to move?

I bet he cares...

Lol :D

Does anyone even take dragon characters nowadays? I haven't seen any in ages...

Toodles

Lex
21-09-2010, 16:15

I bet he cares...

Don't believe that's possible anymore unless its heroic killing blow.