PDA

View Full Version : More than 6 power dice with power stone/warp tokens?

Samaeus
20-09-2010, 15:27
Hi,

I'm not quite clear on whether you can use more than 6 dice casting a spell using a power stone, or skaven warp tokens.

In the Skaven FAQ it says to ignore the sentence "although this does allow users to use more dice than normally allowed by their level", but I'm not sure whether this is simply because level doesn't limit dice any more

thanks for your help

Ultimate Life Form
20-09-2010, 15:31
In the Skaven FAQ it says to ignore the sentence "although this does allow users to use more dice than normally allowed by their level", but I'm not sure whether this is simply because level doesn't limit dice any more

That would be correct. While the matter is a bit confusing (and GW likes adding to it rather than helping us), most sources (FAQs) seem to indicate that it is indeed an absolute cap of 6 dice per casting attempt that can't be exceeded, neither through stones nor tokens nor skills.

Little Joe
20-09-2010, 15:34
In both cases no.

They are normal power dice, it is in the text for warp tokens at least. They work the same though. You announce the use of said item and add the dice to your power pool (remember max. cap), then they can be used only by the bearer to perform a spell. This spell still has the cap of six dice per spell. The level thing was 7th and only level +1 so even a level 4 with a token only had 6 power dice.

Samaeus
20-09-2010, 16:35
Thanks for the replies,

guess I'm still a bit stuck in 7th mentality! They're still some pretty handy items

Tae
20-09-2010, 17:13
That would be correct. While the matter is a bit confusing (and GW likes adding to it rather than helping us), most sources (FAQs) seem to indicate that it is indeed an absolute cap of 6 dice per casting attempt that can't be exceeded, neither through stones nor tokens nor skills.

Unless you're a Dark Elf :p

Cxt
21-09-2010, 18:35
Speaking of Dark Elves... can they exceed 12 power dice throughout the magic phase, as long as they don't exceed 12 at any given time? Ie: Generate a total of 15 power dice during their whole magic phase, but never going above 12 at any particular point of the phase? (Cast a spell, then generate more)?

Ultimate Life Form
21-09-2010, 18:42
Of course, everyone can. Read the FAQs please.

kris.sherriff
07-04-2011, 16:42
Sorry to Necro but I thought it was better than starting a new thread.

Am happy that Warp Stone adds a power dice but am not sure I am reading the Power stone corectly.

Power Stone
One use only. The Wizard can declare that he is using the power stone immediately before casting a spell. If he does so, two extra dice are added to the power dice that he is going to roll (you still need to roll at least one dice from the power pool).

The way I am reading it is that the stone dice are not power dice in the same way as a Night Goblin Magic Mushroom dice is just a dice added to the dice rolled, and so you could select 6 power dice from the pool and use your Power Stone?

Kris

Kalandros
07-04-2011, 18:37
No, they are power dice, since you add them to the power dice you roll, they become power dice, there's no indication that they are not power dice.

4 dice plus a power stone, can't throw more than that.

Ferrous82
08-04-2011, 19:03
Strictly speaking, and devil's advocate, there is no indication that they ARE power dice. When you add d6 to a units movement from an item, does it increase the unit's movement characteristic? No.

I have no problem saying they are power dice, and would certainly in all cases use it thusly, but I would like to see if evidence can be provided.

Korraz
09-04-2011, 00:02
When in doubt, assume it does not work/isn't allowed.

Surgency
09-04-2011, 02:01
The way I am reading it is that the stone dice are not power dice in the same way as a Night Goblin Magic Mushroom dice is just a dice added to the dice rolled, and so you could select 6 power dice from the pool and use your Power Stone?

:wtf:

It says 2 dice are added to the power dice there. Added to means they become power dice. Still bound by the limits. To suggest that its just random dice that you get to roll along with power dice is more than a little silly

Ferrous82
09-04-2011, 14:54
Its not that silly. Vampires with Master of the Dark Arts needed a FAQ to specify that the added dice they get are bound by the limits. Skaven have had a FAQ since the new rules, is it in there?