PDA

View Full Version : 3k skaven ard boyz

Gorak
21-09-2010, 04:23
OK so this is for next years ard boyz,(I know but I'm a planner) So this is my thoughts

3000 Pts - Skaven Roster

Lords

Grey Seer @ 470 pts (General;Screaming Bell)
Shadow Magnet Trinket

Heros

Plague Priest @ 311 pts (Plague Censer)
Plague Furnace
Talisman of Preservation

Plague Priest @ 296 pts (Plague Censer)
Plague Furnace
Foul Pendant

Chieftain (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 122 pts (Halberd)
Storm Banner

Core

30 Clanrats @ 225 pts (fullcommand;Shield)
Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team

30 Clanrats @ 225 pts (fullcommand;Shield)
Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team

40 Clanrats @ 265 pts (fullcommand;shield)
Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team

40 Skavenslaves @ 80 pts

40 Skavenslaves @ 82 pts (Musician Mus)

Special

40 Plague Monks @ 305 pts (fullcommand)

40 Plague Monks @ 305 pts (fullcommand)

6 Gutter Runners @ 78 pts (Sling)

Rare

Hell Pit Abomination @ 235 pts

Total Roster Cost: 2999

Exodus2013
21-09-2010, 06:52
Extremely tough looking list, a bell, 2 furnaces and a HPA is crazy but I guess this is as 3k. I love it. Only question is why not give your gutter runners poisoned weapons? I'm assuming they are for war machine hunting and the pois'd attacks makes for easy wounds on a war machine.

Gorak
21-09-2010, 07:12
save points, I find best way to distract/hunt warmachine is cheap scouts, If I go first shot a warmachine then charge or if I go second just charge 6 gutter runner should be able to deal with almost any warmachine barring the hellcannon.

Exodus2013
21-09-2010, 16:19
How have you found the weapons teams to be effective wise? I have only used the poisoned wind mortar so far and as it did ok I found I dont like the scatter dice weaponry. Taking warp fire thrower in my next battle but from a theoretical stand point I think the doom flayer may be the best option to go along with my style.

Gorak
21-09-2010, 16:37
IN 2k I don't use the storm banner, but I use the same warmachines IE two warpfire throwers and the mortar, I like all of them, I usaly connect an enemies hoard or scary unitr with my slaves than magic/warpfirethrower them before sending in any of my valuable stuff. Warpfire thrrowers are also great pyscological tools, alot of people are scard of the damage they can do so will devote resources to trying to kill em.

ASadPanda
21-09-2010, 17:00
I'd personally put the storm banner on a unit of plague monks and then find 50 points for Armor of Destiny for your BSB. Otherwise, looks like a very solid list.

AtmaTheWanderer
21-09-2010, 17:12
I must agree with what others are saying. With Skaven as dependant as they are on the number of people in units, and also with the increased commonness of stone throwers and the absolute devastation they can wreak, the storm banner is pretty much a must-have in almost every list now. - as is the ironcurse icon from the BRB. if nothing else, drop a clanrat and add the icon, that 6+ ward save is almost guaranteed to save 5 times it's point cost in models over the course of a game if your end up playing any race with war machines.

Exodus2013
22-09-2010, 15:33
IN 2k I don't use the storm banner, but I use the same warmachines IE two warpfire throwers and the mortar, I like all of them, I usaly connect an enemies hoard or scary unitr with my slaves than magic/warpfirethrower them before sending in any of my valuable stuff. Warpfire thrrowers are also great pyscological tools, alot of people are scard of the damage they can do so will devote resources to trying to kill em.

I like psychological tools as well. The gutter runner unit is great for that if nothing else.

g0ddy
22-09-2010, 17:44
You might want to consider a horde of 30 archers as part of your core... (30 archers and 20 seaguard will fill your 25% core for 2500 pts).

You get 25 shots at 30" range.. and just as many attacks (or more if the enemy unit is wider) as a 20 man spear/seaguard unit.

EDIT : AWESOME! mispost :)

~ zilla

Exodus2013
22-09-2010, 20:02
This is a skaven list...

TheDrugLordX
22-09-2010, 21:25
You might want to consider a horde of 30 archers as part of your core... (30 archers and 20 seaguard will fill your 25% core for 2500 pts).

You get 25 shots at 30" range.. and just as many attacks (or more if the enmy unit is wider) as a 20 man spear/seaguard unit.

~ zilla

Hillarious!

As for the list, it's very though. 3 Unbreakable units along some units that are going to be stubborn (most of the time anyway) makes your list very though to break.

Problems with lists like these is that they usually struggle against high strength combat units, capable of very quickly destroying your furnaces. Assasins are very effective at destroying enemy characters before they swing at your furnaces but hero-allowement seems full so might be hard fitting one in there.

Personally I'm not a fan of Plague Priests and would not spend more points than I have to on them (the magic item defence). They don't add very much combat power nor magic power, and you have to destroy the furnace in order to gain points for him, so really having them killed is no biggie. Drop those along Shadow Magnet Trinket and add clanrat numbers instead (along with something else maybe). Additional boddies will help the bell more than the trinket (IMO) and the 30 man clanrat units are too small to remain steadfast long enough.

Just my thoughts.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
22-09-2010, 23:10
What about a unit of Dragon Ogres.....just kidding, you wouldn't even if you could.

Is this really the 'Ard Boys standard? It seems to lack a bit of imagination and safety measures.Surely some anti-magic would be good?

Looks like the list is Horde for playing Horde, you come up against Empire or Dwarfs and the Furnaces are toast.

More anti-artillery would be good.

Lightning cannons are metal....why none?

I have seen these mega-hordes bounce off well organised elite armies who will bracket your Ld bubble with magic and/or shooting and pick off stragglers for enough points for a win.

Don't get me wrong, it's a hard/very hard army to smash barring some wedge of luck (gateway bsb's unit etc) but surely it's not that proactive?

I would start by accident proofing some of your characters.

Dan

Killboss
23-09-2010, 06:20
How about drop the Plague Censors? It would really start to bite into the PM's with the T tests you're already making from being in B2B with the Plague Furnace.

With those points, you could buy.... Something? A dispell Scroll maybe?

shadow hunter
23-09-2010, 12:31
Yes - I would say take flails instead of censors on priests on a furnace, otherwise that is lots of toughness tests on the plague monks twice (1 lot for the furnace, 1 lot for the censor).

g0ddy
24-09-2010, 17:23
AWESOME!... replying to a thread in the wrong window! Classic.

~ Zilla