PDA

View Full Version : Only in death (novel)

Ikkaan
21-09-2010, 09:35
Just finished the book, a nice read. Typical Abnett, not really 40K, but awesome nonetheless. I read it in german, so i have a question...

1.) What was the english serial number of Merrts lasrifle? In german it was 571RB which means Stirb ("Die"). But im curious if it was a good translation.
2.) What was the whole point of the lasrifle thing? I think i got a faint suggestion of it being possessed?

Aedes
21-09-2010, 10:00
Hi there,
only in death was the most exciting read I had in months.
Hardly could put it down.
In my eyes, Dan Abnett is unbeatable.

the serial number is 034TH (DEATH).
I think he was just getting paranoid. After their psyker friend trying to warn them,
and this went horribly wrong and made everybody jumpy...
I personally dont think the gun was possessed, I think it was just
badly maintained if it had been in enemy hands.

Are the books in German any good?
I am German, too, but most of the time I refuse reading translations
from English....
after I found out how much the books get butchered in the translation
(Terry Pratchett comes to mind....:rolleyes:).

spetswalshe
21-09-2010, 10:13
Should probably be in the Black Library forum. But sounds like the translation was good - which is a bit of a surprise, really, given BL seem to skimp on non-essentials like proofreading.

(I though Pratchett was one of the few humour authors with decent translations?)

Ikkaan
21-09-2010, 11:15
The translation is good. Hardly spotted any errors.

Thanks for sating my curiosity, the translation fits absolutely ;-)

abasio
21-09-2010, 11:47
Are the books in German any good?
I am German, too, but most of the time I refuse reading translations
from English....
after I found out how much the books get butchered in the translation
(Terry Pratchett comes to mind....:rolleyes:).

I always imagined Terry Pratchett would be very hard to translate, his books are often very weird in their use of humour, very dry, quite british.

Aedes
21-09-2010, 23:14
Well, I was happy starting Terry Pratchett in German.
they are okay.
BUT after I read the first few books in English, I realized what I was missing....

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2010, 07:31
I always imagined Terry Pratchett would be very hard to translate, his books are often very weird in their use of humour, very dry, quite british.

As far as I understand it (from the interview in the Discworld Companion) it depends on the translator. The better ones can tell where a particular joke doesn't work in another language (Death's "I COULD MURDER A CURRY" line from Mort, for example) and either rework it or simply add some of their own. Mind you, the later books don't rely quite so much on humourous wordplay as the early ones.

Didn't one of the German publishers put adverts into the actual text of the book?