PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Minotaur Warband themed list

Tomalock
22-09-2010, 06:43
I picked up the beastman book today and am digging the Minotaur models and the theme of a list that just crashes into stuff. I know its not real competitive, especially since I don't have a magic phase, but I'm wondering if it has the speed and damage to make up for it? I tried to make each of the heavy hitting parts as scary as possible to spread the pain around as I cross the field. Heres the list:

Lord

Doombull w/ EHW, HA, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Protection, Arabyan carpet 355pts

Heroes

Gorebull w/ HA, Shield, BSB, Gnarled Hide, Gouge-Tusks, Manbane Standard 262pts

Gorebull w/ EHW, HA, Shield, Ramhorn Helm, Dragonbane Gem, Many-Limbed Fiend, Uncanny Senses 227pts

Specials

Minotaurs x6 w/ EHW, Full Command 404pts (CC Gorebull goes here)

Minotaurs x5 w/ EHW, Full Command 345pts (BSB Gorebull goes here)

Rare

Ghorgon 275pts

Core

Ungore Raiders x10 w/ Champ 66pts

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Tuskgor Chariot 80pts

Tuskgor Chariot 80pts

Tuskgor Chariot 80pts

Total: 2498pts

So general thought is the Doombull flies himself to the backfield and tears stuff up while the 2 Minotaur blocks and the Ghorgon book it accross the field with the support of the raiders and the chariots. I'll probably get stomped by heavy magic and/or shooting armies, but I've always been a combat oriented player so nothing new there. What do you guys think?

thesheriff
22-09-2010, 20:17
I just laughed when i saw the doombull on the araybyan carpet entry :D. Just put the actuall model in alladin style garb on a carpet with a monkey.

I would get rid of the doombull who's not a bsb for anouther minotaur unit. ANd make the raiders spears, and stick the bsb in for fenzy goodness.

Araybyan carpet, Cant get over that :p

love it

thesheriff

Wyrmnax
22-09-2010, 20:27
Id say: Drop the champ on the Raiders.
Drop the champs AND the banners on minotaurs. The champs are too expensive for 1 extra attack - there is very little that will scare a gorebull out of a challenge. Banners might be good, but usually minos kill enough to win combat by damage alone.

Also, drop 1 mino from the 6 minos units. All that combined should give you enough points for one extra mino unit.

And yeah. Doombull on a carpet is hilarious.

Personally, i like minos with Great Weapons. They have enough attacks and I is low enough that they will almost never hit first anyway... bloodgreed is mean when each attack is S7.

Killboss
23-09-2010, 05:39
Id say: Drop the champ on the Raiders.
Drop the champs AND the banners on minotaurs. The champs are too expensive for 1 extra attack - there is very little that will scare a gorebull out of a challenge.

But, if you issue with him, there is a chance that he COULD kill an enemy hero. They should have around equal stats (besides armour) and if the hero didn't have an overly-overboard magic loadout, there's a chance you may even win.

Also, love the list. Flying Doombull!! :evilgrin:

Wyrmnax
23-09-2010, 12:22
But, if you issue with him, there is a chance that he COULD kill an enemy hero. They should have around equal stats (besides armour) and if the hero didn't have an overly-overboard magic loadout, there's a chance you may even win.

That is true, but you are paying 89 points for the Champion. That is VERY expensive.

And its 20 points for one extra attack. If you just let the enemy hero hit your standard minos and take the attacks back you have a greater chance of killing him than if you challenge with the champion.

It is personal opinion, really. I think that minotaur champions are just way too expensive.

Tomalock
24-09-2010, 04:46
Hey guys thanks for the comments! I can't take credit for the Doombull loadout, there is a whole three page thread on it at Herdstone.

The problem with dropping the champs on the Raiders is that I will be below 25% for my Core. After rereading the fluff I might just drop the chariots and go with all raiders as thats more what the Minotaur warbands sound like to me.

I really can't drop the standards on the Minotaurs unfortunatly. I need them for the breakpoint scenario, otherwise I would autolose.

I will crunch some numbers with having no champs and the 2nd gorebull to see if I can squeeze in a 3rd unit of the Minotaurs.

Thanks for all the great comments! Keep em coming!

Killboss
24-09-2010, 07:33
That is true, but you are paying 89 points for the Champion. That is VERY expensive.

Oh, so true. They're still hella expensive, but they can be useful.....
.....Can.....

The problem with dropping the champs on the Raiders is that I will be below 25% for my Core. After rereading the fluff I might just drop the chariots and go with all raiders as thats more what the Minotaur warbands sound like to me.
I think the idea would be to funnel them into more Raiders... If you don't have enough for another Mino unit after dropping champs and chariots, you could always get a hella more Raiders. Though, i did just add up the basica points of a Gorebull and, 40 points from champs, and the chariots... It looks like you will have enough.

I really can't drop the standards on the Minotaurs unfortunatly. I need them for the breakpoint scenario, otherwise I would autolose.
But if you auto-lose, you can always get into a real game ;D
All seriousness now, that is a good reason to keep them there, but will 3 really give you a chance?

Tomalock
29-09-2010, 06:42
Hey thanks for the comment! I've been doing some thinking on this list over the weekend and I understand where people are comming from. Magic does make me a little nervous. Do you think it is worthwhile to drop the Ghrogon for a Great Bray Shaman? I could run the beastmen's lore and just summon one in if I needed too. I kind of worry that it would destroy the flavor of my army if I field one though.

Do you guys think the Manbane Standard is worth it? Or would it be better to just run the BSB without a magical standard and give him magic items instead? I could definatly make him more defensive or more killy? The -1 leadership seems like it would pay for itself when I get into combat, what do you think?

In any event, here is the newest list for your consideration:

Lord

Doombull w/ EHW, HA, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Protection, Arabyan carpet 355pts

Hero

Gorebull w/ HA, Shield, BSB, Gnarled Hide, Uncanny Senses, Manbane Standard 257pts

Core

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Ungore Raiders x10 60pts

Specials

Minotaurs x5 w/ EHW, Standard, Musician 325pts

Rare

Ghorgon 275pts

Total: 2492pts

Hows that one look? I'd rather have 2 of the units of Minotaurs be 6 strong, but doesn't look like that will happen. I had to put 6 raider champs in to hit my 25% core. I know you guys are down on them, but its 30 points less to do it that way than add an 11th unit of them, not to mention its one box cheaper (already looking at buying 10 ungor and 6 minotaur boxes and I still am not sure how I'd build my Ghorgon!). What do you think?

Killboss
29-09-2010, 09:02
Well, as you already said, those Minotaur units would be better at 6. Maybe if you didn't have the standard, you could make him more killy, but would that help against steadfast? Would it break steadfast? Does the standard even effect steadfast?

Sorry, lots of questions but it could help you to build the list "better" (some play testing helps as well ;)).

Tomalock
29-09-2010, 17:06
Indeed it does. If you look at the BRB Errata page one under Steadfast it changes the line in the book from "If a defeated unit has more ranks than its enemy, it takes its Break test on its unomdified Leadership" (54) to "If a defeated unit has more ranks than its enemy, it takes a Break test without applying the difference in combat result scores." This means with the change that rather than unmodified leadership, you merely aren't subtracting your total from leadership. That opens the door to any other Leadership modifier that would apply outside of the combat result, including the Manbane Standard. With only a 6" bubble it is going to be difficult to have it affect multiple combats, but atleast for the BSB's unit it will help. Is that worth its point cost? You are right, only playtesting will tell.

As much as I like the concept, the Doombull is probably the other big change I have to keep an eye on. Having his leadership and killiness might make him more useful running with the Minotaurs, but thats something I'll have to look at after a few games I guess.

Thundergut
30-09-2010, 20:22
I like your theme, it will be a lot of fun.

I would recommend a few things based on my 2 dozen beastmen games...

1. - Try and get a large block of ungors in your list, likely with a banner, and a second smaller unit for optional ambushes. This will give you some options at deployment for your heroes. I run a 22 ungor unit with two Gorebulls (140mm wide, 5 ranks) and it works well.

2. Minotaurs are suceptable to gunline armies. The Chalice of Dark Rain on turn 1 will let you get in thier grill.

3. Try the ramhorn helm in combo with the gnarled hide and heavy armor, and don't overlook the Axes of Khorgor. Good Luck!

You could give a Doombull a Wizards Hat for some spellcasting! :)

Cheers