PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim Beastmen...

Arryn
08-03-2006, 10:18
While the rules for Beastmen in the Empire in Flames supplement are official, can anybody see any problems with their validity in regular games of Mordheim?

A neutral shade of black.
08-03-2006, 13:50
Nope, none at all. Anything in EiF is 100% Mordheim-usable.

I'd check with the other beastmen warband that's on the SG site, though - there are two, IIRC, and one of them is overpowered (but I can't remember which).

Brother Othorio
08-03-2006, 19:02
i'm fairly certain the EiF list is the only one on the site, there was a different one but that was taken offline when EiF was published (at least i hope they took it down, otherwise i spent many hours scouring my hard drive to find where i had saved it for no reason..)

(my reason for looking for the other list was that they didnt put EiF online until it was out of print/running low on stock)

08-03-2006, 19:24
So then, I guess the EiF is the revised one.

Yeah, probably that. IIRC the overpowered one was "Beastmen," and the EiF one is "Beastmen Raiders."

Anyway, I'd be cool with them if it were my gaming group. They're rulebook-legal, after all (then again, so're Possessed and Skaven :rolleyes:).

Arryn
09-03-2006, 09:15
Have you found possessed and skaven to be a bit too nasty or?

And what about Shadow Elves? How do you guys view them?

Odin
09-03-2006, 12:15
Have you found possessed and skaven to be a bit too nasty or?

And what about Shadow Elves? How do you guys view them?

Skaven get 18 (or is it 20) fighters, including a Rat Ogre and S4 heroes with some of the best weaponry available in the game. Their normal troops have M5 so can usually get to charge if used sensibly. They are seriously mean, especially against Witch Hunters who they'll outnumber nearly 2:1.

Possessed, well the possessed themselves are hideously nasty, but the rest of the warband are pretty average, so no major issue there. We use the house rule that they can only have one possessed model rather than two though, partly for balance, and partly because it just seems right.

09-03-2006, 17:41
Twenty for skaven, when they should be limited to twelve. Bloody twelve, both for balance and background reason (they're a clan Eshin assassin cell, FFS, not a bloody army on the move). Last time I played a campaign, we ruled they would be limited to thirteen (for obvious fluff reasons).

As for Possessed, Odin had it - possessed themselves are nigh unkillable with the right combination of skills and mutations, and can chew through practically anything in CC. The only answer to these guys that I've found is Reiklander sniper crossbow warbands - eight BS4 crossbows go a long way towards keeping a possessed down in two rounds of shooting at close range.

krieg
09-03-2006, 18:34
i find missile fire the way to go against possessed and skaven, try to make them rout before they get into combat, that way making sure they dont earn experience, either that or try to target them individually in cc

Jormangundr
09-03-2006, 23:58
on the possessed .From what I can tell they can only buy mutations at start up. which lets face it is just too expensive..is there another way for them to get more mutations ????

I honestly think the skaven warband is broken, it's just ***** herrendous !!

AventineCrusader
10-03-2006, 00:47
The possessed can get more mutations via the 'Gifts of the Shadowlord' optional rule. If you are using those rules it is still not likely. I buy one mutation per possessed at the beginning and only one possessed in my intitial 500 list. i usually go for great claw. In one campaign however I saved up and bought a possessed with like 6 mutations including 4 extra arms...hehehe

Crusader:D

Jormangundr
10-03-2006, 00:52
now that is sick !

jullevi
15-03-2006, 11:39
Only magister and mutants may roll on "Rewards of the Shadowlord" -table, the possessed may not.

Possessed warbands have one major problem - expensive heroes. This means that they can't really afford to have max heroes at startup and it is very difficult for them to replace a dead hero at first, not to mention buing a fifth one.

Spoonie
16-03-2006, 12:48
Skaven MAX racial leadership is 7, they can't shoot very well except at close range, and they're not particularly tough, there's reasons why skaven get 20 members. I've never seen possessed do very well in a campaign, but they seem like they could be pretty nasty, I don't think nuetering their number of heros by one is a just treatment though. Instead of making up rules to a fairly balanced game, try dealing with your problems inside the rules. ;) People complained about pitfighters for awhile too, but their henchmen cost like 70 minumum and they have human stats and usually start with 6-7 guys instead of 11-13. You have to look at the big picture.

samtheman
17-03-2006, 03:01
Well, they can't shoot well except the skaven hero I have with a Hochland, BS5, and almost all the shooting feats.....

He can nail an elf from 800 paces. In the dark. Oh yeah.

XxboxX
19-03-2006, 06:36
you also have to remember that rulling on the shadow lords table uses a skill point and could potetnially do nothing or kill you.

but i always rule on it, because theres always that chance you might get a daemon weapon or chaos armor.

but beastment are my favorite i always get 3 and pray for a lads got talent.

Naghaz
20-03-2006, 18:27
I'm going to borrow a buddies Possessed warband for an upcomming campaign. I'll be up against some veterans (the powergamer type). What's a decent start for the warband? I was thinking two possessed if possible, but now I don't know. I'll definitely need the extra character, we have two Skaven players, undead, beastmen, Sisters of Sigmar and a witch hunter army to play againt. Well and possibly a shadow warriors one as well if he makes it.

I always thought Possessed looked well balanced, but if there is a way to exploit them I'd like to hear it, I'll need all the help I can muster ;P

ashc
20-03-2006, 21:14
to the original poster, the current Beastmen rules are the 'Beastmen Raiders' from EiF and are fine to use in Mordheim.

On questions on the possessed, in my gaming group im not allowed to use them anymore due to being a bit too brutal with them! basically have ran undefeated in two different campaigns with the big boys; good fun i can tell you that.

the trick is to pull off some wins in the early games to quickly make up for the gold you have had to invest in those possessed and get some beastmen sharpish. possessed warbands will quickly find themselves floundering if they lose their first couple of games.

Ash

XxboxX
21-03-2006, 03:28
I'm going to borrow a buddies Possessed warband for an upcomming campaign. I'll be up against some veterans (the powergamer type). What's a decent start for the warband? I was thinking two possessed if possible, but now I don't know. I'll definitely need the extra character, we have two Skaven players, undead, beastmen, Sisters of Sigmar and a witch hunter army to play againt. Well and possibly a shadow warriors one as well if he makes it.

I always thought Possessed looked well balanced, but if there is a way to exploit them I'd like to hear it, I'll need all the help I can muster ;P

i actually have a formula for my possessed warband, i've tried and played so many combinations, and i found the perfect list.

don't start with 2 possessed by the way, you'll be off to a slow start,

you need to build a base so you can start off fast and not slow, you'll need those extra heros and exploration dice, trust me.

i'll tell you this,
1 magister
1 possessed
2 mutants
2 beastmen

i have a very specific wargear arrangment,
but thats all i'll give you.

Naghaz
21-03-2006, 03:32
Thanks very much, it looks quite similar to what I was originally going to put in to start, then I was talked into a 2nd possessed, now back out of one :)

As to wargear, well I suppose you have your secrets...but if you have some winning combos and dont mind sharing them over PM I'd appreciate it. I'll be borrowing a warband to start but will be building my own all the while. The modeling and painting standard on this army is going to be quite good (if I like them) and I'd hate to have to reproduce WYSIWYG too many times trying to find good combos...

:)

XxboxX
22-03-2006, 03:24
WYSIWYG is hard to accomplish sometimes though in mordheim,

because sometimes your caharacters find cool items or weapons,
and why change the model when the next time you play a campaign he wont have the item or may play a diferent rol altogether.

so its understandable.