PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Batallion worth it?

Desalbert
24-09-2010, 02:05
So I'm heavily considering Dark Elves, and I ask:

Is the Battalion worth buying as a starting point?

Thanks gentlemen and ladies (as the case may be)

bluemage
24-09-2010, 02:08
This is not really the right place to post this. But before it gets locked, I think the battalion is worth if you want to use all four of the units. And if you're just getting started and you don't know what kind of list you want to run I think it would be worth it.

deggaroth
24-09-2010, 03:28
I think that the batallion box is a great way to start a DE army. That being said, I know a fair amount of competitive DE players who refuse to field corsairs and/or cold one knights, even though both those units can be extremely competitive. As a result of this, if you are a competitive type of gamer, I would recommend buying the book first and reading up on the units before you buy the batallion.

t-tauri
24-09-2010, 06:03
Moved to General.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
24-09-2010, 06:26
Its a package deal that gives you a discount, if you don't want the whole package, then you're wasting your money :)

Lazarian
24-09-2010, 08:48
well Corsairs are a major sticking point with Dark Elf players atm with a vocal group on both sides having good points to say. If your are coming new to the army then the battalion deal might not be the best super duper investment since its uncertain you will use the knights or the Corsairs. What i would do though is start off with three boxsets of men and model 20 repeaters and the rest spearmen. You will take at least that every game without fail.

Defineatly would pair up with an existing Dark Elf player first and play games, or get the book and proxy/count as a few army lists first. Dark Elves are relatively cheap moneywise due to expensive models but dont have the benefit of insanely good model options (like being featured in the last three starter boxes or a mantic army) unless your going to make a dual purpose High elf/Dark elf force.

theorox
24-09-2010, 09:18
When i was thinking of starting Darkelves, i thought about the batallion+some warriors. That seems like a solid start to me. :)

Theo

Waagghh_Logan
24-09-2010, 12:19
It depends what you want really. I dont usually buy battalions because i dont like spending that much money in one go (by the way im not cheap im just a kid and dont get much money:cries:)

Also i prefer to focus on painting one unit at a time and not having any distractions to worry about

Lars Porsenna
24-09-2010, 15:37
I bought the Batallion box as the seed for my DE army. Whatever one might think of Corsairs or Cold One Knights, the models themselves are fabulous, and deserve a place on the table just for that reason. I also supplemented my army by picking up another warriors box & COKs, so I field units of two 5x2 repeaters, a unit of 6x4 spearmen, a unit of 5x4 corsairs, and 1x10 (or 2x5, depending on what I want) of COK. Supplemented with metal characters and a unit (like Executioners or Black Guard) and you'll have a decent 2000pt army for perhaps $250 or so, or a good basis for further expansion after that...

Damon.

wilsongrahams
24-09-2010, 22:07
As a starter set go for it. As a booster having already amassed an army probably less so as you may not want all of those models in your army every game - especially if you already have some cold ones etc you won't get value for money buying the battalion again, but a box of warriors and the battalion and a general is a great start, then add a metal elite unit such as executioners or witch elves and you'll be set for your first games, and then add some core and a hydra etc as you decide what you like.

I started out with my high elves buying one unit at a time and I now have the equivalent of two battalions but at a higher cost so wish I'd just gone for them to begin with. Looking at the DE set it seems fine to me unless you want a Khainite only army.

Pacorko
24-09-2010, 22:36
I'd chime in as Druchii are my favorite race if only by a wee bit, and the first army I ever "completed"... but I digress.

This is a prefect way to start with your Dark Elves. A nice mix of core and a special unit that packs a punch. If you buy two of these and a some three of heroes/lords, you'll have a nice 1.5k starter for your army that will allow for you to expand in any direction you so choose with the rest of the metal range.