PDA

View Full Version : The Terrifying Mask of EEE! and units

Godswildcard
24-09-2010, 12:50
so I've decided to give my Dragon Prince champion the terrifying mask of eee! My questions revolve around this assuming no other unit spoken of cause terror unless otherwise stated:

1) When charging, I'm assuming the unit being charged by the DPs will have to take a terror test

2) while in combat, if I am fighting a unit that causes fear/terror, do the DPs have to make a fear/terror test or do they autopass b/c of the champ?

3) if the unit is required to take a fear/terror test, how does this interact with the champ? is he exempt from the test and as such will fight as normal even if the test is failed by the unit, who would then fight as ws1?

4) while in combat, will only units wishing to attack the champion be required to take a fear test, or will the entire unit take a fear test regardless?

anything else you guys can think of? Thanks for the help!!

TheTrueSloth
24-09-2010, 13:44
1) When charging, I'm assuming the unit being charged by the DPs will have to take a terror test

2) while in combat, if I am fighting a unit that causes fear/terror, do the DPs have to make a fear/terror test or do they autopass b/c of the champ?

3) if the unit is required to take a fear/terror test, how does this interact with the champ? is he exempt from the test and as such will fight as normal even if the test is failed by the unit, who would then fight as ws1?

4) while in combat, will only units wishing to attack the champion be required to take a fear test, or will the entire unit take a fear test regardless?

Just grabbed the RBRB to check your Q's out, but it would seem that:

1) Yes, they would have to take the panic test caused by a terror causing enemy charging.

2) It would seem that since Terror in this instance only applies to one model in the unit, the unit would have to test.

3) Nope, the unit would test and (if failed) the champ would fight at WS 1. Fear tests applied to the whole unit sadly, so even though your terror causing champ would be exempt from fear checks, he would still suffer as he is part of the unit.

4) The enemy unit would have to test to attack all the DP's, not just the champ - "A unit that is in base contact with one or more enemy models that cause fear must take a leadership test." (paraphrased).

Hope that helps

Toodles

Macmiel
24-09-2010, 17:35
1) Yes, they would have to take the panic test caused by a terror causing enemy charging.
That is correct.
2) It would seem that since Terror in this instance only applies to one model in the unit, the unit would have to test.That is also correct.
3) Nope, the unit would test and (if failed) the champ would fight at WS 1. Fear tests applied to the whole unit sadly, so even though your terror causing champ would be exempt from fear checks, he would still suffer as he is part of the unit.That is incorrect per rules of Fear:
Models that cause Fear are themselves immune
to Fear, and are not affected by any of this rule's
effects (even if their unit fails its test, for
example).
4) The enemy unit would have to test to attack all the DP's, not just the champ - "A unit that is in base contact with one or more enemy models that cause fear must take a leadership test." (paraphrased).That is correct.

T10
24-09-2010, 17:42
1, Yes, but they'll actually need to take a Panic test.

2. Yes, the unit needs to make a fear test if it is in contact with one or more models that causes fear.

3. If the unit fails a fear test then those individual models in the unit that are immune to fear are unaffected.

4. All units that are in base contact with the champion will need to take fear tests.

anything else you guys can think of? Thanks for the help!!

If your Dragon Princes with the Terror-causing champion is fighting a unit of Fear-causing Ogres, then both units must take Fear tests:

The Dragon Princes need to test because they fear the ogres.
The Ogres need to test because they fear the champion.

If both sides fail their test then all have WS 1 for that round of close combat, except for the champion who is unaffected.

-T10

TheTrueSloth
24-09-2010, 22:15
That is incorrect per rules of Fear

That is true. I misread the passage, my bad.

Toodles

Godswildcard
25-09-2010, 01:20
Ok. So after all of this is said and done, is the item worth the 25 points to give it to a champion, or would those points be better served elsewhere, say in a banner? What do you guys think?

Teongpeng
25-09-2010, 01:55
Ok. So after all of this is said and done, is the item worth the 25 points to give it to a champion, or would those points be better served elsewhere, say in a banner? What do you guys think?the banner that does the same thing costs 50ish points doesnt it?

mishari26
25-09-2010, 06:19
Ok. So after all of this is said and done, is the item worth the 25 points to give it to a champion, or would those points be better served elsewhere, say in a banner? What do you guys think?

I'm a HE player too, and the question isn't really whether to take the Mask or not, but whether to have a DP unit to begin with. since those points can easily create a nice elite infantry unit for you.

but if you are taking the DP unit anyhow, then I think the mask is a great choice, for the following reason:

moving from 7th to 8th, charge distances went up. average for DP's is 17.2" instead of the past 16". and fleeing distances went down for swiftstriders, used to be average 10.5", down to 9.2".

so against low-medium LD enemies, this unit could be running down fleeing troops without even fighting. baiting flyers or fast-cav have become less sure that they'll be able to get away.

I like the mask alot for a DP champion. try it out :)

T10
25-09-2010, 09:26

It's impossible to say if it is "worth it".

You can get lucky and force a unit or two to flee from your charge, but that relies not only on the enemy army make-up (immunity to psychology, terror or panic negates the advantage) and even if the enemy is vulnerable you need for it to fail a Leadership test. So this is in no way a sure thing!

In combat you can get lucky and benefit from increased protection against enemy attacks - WS 1 attacks are a lot less likely to hit your high WS, low T knights. But again this is dependent on the enemy not being immune to psychology or fear, and they also have to fail their Leadership test.

On the other hand, taking the item at least makes these things possible!

-T10