PDA

View Full Version : Basic Question about Ward Saves

b4z
24-09-2010, 14:02
Okay, so i have just finished reading through the basic rules of the Warhammer Fantasy rulebook for the second time. And i have spectated 3 games and played a single game myself.

My basic question is...

What can actually modify [reduce] or remove [completely] an opponent units ward save? If anything?

I do not neccessarily mean something like Magic Resistance, but just the basic ward save.

And i don't neccessarily mean a very specific item/character/army book item.

Maybe something generally magical? or??

I just mean in general.

It seems any ward saves are very good?! [as you roll for your armour save, if you get one, and then roll for your ward save -unmodified mostly, if you fail your armour save]

I was thinking specifically about when fighting against Daemons of Chaos players?

Thanks

Storak
24-09-2010, 14:22
some spells do not allow ward saves.

narrativium
24-09-2010, 14:26
Anything which doesn't allow ward saves specifically or doesn't allow armour saves of any kind will be of use to you. The Other Trickster's Shard is one for reducing ward saves; offhand I can't think of any others (and, having used it, I can confirm it's very useful).

theorox
24-09-2010, 14:36
Wardsaves never get modified, that's why they are so good.

Certain spells and magic items dissallow a model to roll for the wardsave, but in general, no, they don't get modified. :)

Theo

wilsongrahams
24-09-2010, 21:41
I assume you mostly play 40k here. Unmodified saves work slightly different in the two game systems hence why you may have been confused.

Ward saves are expensive because of the fact they are not modified and also usuallu only 5+ or 6+ for most equipment.

Synnister
25-09-2010, 04:41
There is no general rule for reducing a ward save. All reductions/modifications are from specific items/spells that say that they don't allow ward saves or how they affect ward saves.

eyescrossed
25-09-2010, 16:13
I assume you mostly play 40k here. Unmodified saves work slightly different in the two game systems hence why you may have been confused.
I don't personally think that he did. Ward Saves are basically Invulnerable Saves that can be taken as well as Armour Saves. Not confusing at all.

wilsongrahams
25-09-2010, 23:00
I don't personally think that he did. Ward Saves are basically Invulnerable Saves that can be taken as well as Armour Saves. Not confusing at all.

My assumption was that because in 40k you only ever get one save and there are no modifiers he may have thought you don't get your ward save if your armour save is still higher than it, or something along those lines. Which he probably didn't. So I'll shut up now. Sleep tight!

eyescrossed
26-09-2010, 09:34
Fair enough :)