PDA

View Full Version : Cron tomb stalker

Draconis
24-09-2010, 14:35
Now this is an awesome model and some very cool rules.

Pic
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Necron_Tomb_Stalker.html

Rules
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/t/tstalker.pdf

6 Attacks on the charge, with that beastly profile. MC, move through terrain, hit and run, fleet, deep strike and two guns. For a pretty cheap cost.

How many cron players do you think will be picking one of these up?
My question is though....why does it have a mouth?

Bookwrak
24-09-2010, 15:01
So that it can play the theme from 'Jaws' as it approaches it's target. :D

the creator
24-09-2010, 15:03
i bet that is a nightmare to put together if all those legs are articulated!

also, cant wait to see in the next next necron codex, this being a heavy support option after GW start building them in plastic like the trygon, valk etc etc

Deadly Cornbread
24-09-2010, 15:08
That really doesn't look like a mouth, but more of a gauss weapon just there. I have to admit, I think I'm going to buy that. That model is slick.

ChrisMurray
24-09-2010, 15:09
It is awsome, looks very poseable, although this will make it a pain to put together. I plan to get three once i've finished painting my basic necron force, maybe more if I end up playing apocolypse regularly.

the creator
24-09-2010, 15:14
AHAHAHAHA! my fiancee just run from the room after looking at it! she is deathly scared of earwigs! seriously weeping with tears of laughter!

RangeFinder
24-09-2010, 15:26
Finally a Monstrous Creature for the Necron that is 'Monstrous'.

Mannimarco
24-09-2010, 15:47
About time the necrons got some love. Its a sweet model but does look like it could be tricky posing it.

Rules look half decent as well, its nice seeing FW rules catching up with the power escalation we see from codex units.

Draconis
24-09-2010, 15:48
The stats put a carnifex to shame : )

Yeah, I"d be willing to buy a necron army just for this model. That and I"ve been wanting to play crons for awhile.

Gethvar
24-09-2010, 15:53
Now this is an awesome model and some very cool rules.

Pic
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Necron_Tomb_Stalker.html

Rules
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/t/tstalker.pdf

6 Attacks on the charge, with that beastly profile. MC, move through terrain, hit and run, fleet, deep strike and two guns. For a pretty cheap cost.

How many cron players do you think will be picking one of these up?
My question is though....why does it have a mouth?
It's not a mouth its a phase tunneling device ;)

Kurgash
24-09-2010, 15:54
Definitely grabbing one. The price of 3 heavy destroyers for a MC that can deepstrike, fleet and assault with 6 attacks? Stalker>3 lascannon destroyers.

Machinepriest
24-09-2010, 16:20
Love it.
Need it.
Clearly engineered in the likeness of a Catachan Devil.
I can just imagine this thing crawling over a wrecked Baneblade.
I hope those antennas are sturdy though.
They look like they can snap quite easily.

ForgottenLore
24-09-2010, 16:21
I'm wondering if all those legs can be re-purposed for use on destroyer bodies for making spider/scorpion lords/destroyers.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
24-09-2010, 16:25
This receives my stamp of approval.

Seriously, this kind of stuff is exactly what the Necrons need, more lovecraftian horror for the win!

Deus Mechanicus
24-09-2010, 16:31
I wonder why the Phase Tunnelling gives it Move Through Cover USR when, as a Monstrous Creature, it already has Move Through Cover.

Asi the Red
24-09-2010, 16:33
I'm not usually at a loss for words, but I cannot even begin to describe how ***** Awesome that thing looks. It almost makes me wish I played Necrons.

TimLeeson
24-09-2010, 16:34
god DAMNNNN

MUST HAVE MUST HAVE MUST HAVE

Yeah, this is just what I needed..an awesome techno-lovecraftian giant robot centipede from hell.. I am gonna buy two of these suckers. It's even better than I thought it would be. So happy to see something new and awesome for the necrons too !! will compliment my army nicely :)

loveless
24-09-2010, 16:38
I wonder why the Phase Tunnelling gives it Move Through Cover USR when, as a Monstrous Creature, it already has Move Through Cover.

It's possible that the rule is planned to be given to other models, ones which don't have the MTC USR by default.

Mannimarco
24-09-2010, 16:43
Kind of concerned its a heavy support (although it is the best slot for it) so it could be difficult fitting the obligatory monolith and a couple of these things into the list and still having the points to remain competitive.

We'll need to see how this fits in with then new necrons when they are finally released

TheMav80
24-09-2010, 16:45
I know a Carrion Crawler when I see one! ;)
Looks awesome.

WilhelmRochRedDuke
24-09-2010, 16:56
Based on the FW Q&A at Gamesday Baltimore, this was the only new Necron model that will be produced for a while. It was a one off model that someone built and they liked it so they produced it.

x-esiv-4c
24-09-2010, 17:00
Reminds me of the human centipede.

Flame Boy
24-09-2010, 17:01
I liked the blurry pic that previewed this, the full thing gives me the shivers. Shame I can't justify buying it at the moment, I think it looks fantastic.

crandall87
24-09-2010, 17:06
I think it's a great model!

decker_cky
24-09-2010, 17:51
Great model, solid rules and a very fair price. I'm sold!

Atherakhia
24-09-2010, 17:57
tbh, when the rumour of a caterpillar thing came about, I said it could be the Tomb Stalker, and people lauded my assumption. Even tho it doesn't look how it's described (spidery? housing a large green crystal?) I still think it's a cool model.
I'm not gonna get one, but rather make a necron spidery thing housing a green crystal. sorry

I think it's a great model!
But it isn't! In any way! It's a big caterpillar! It's not a good model when applied to the Necrons. Nids, maybe. Necrons shouldn't have stuff looking like that

Bonzai
24-09-2010, 19:15
Definately going to pick up 2. Possibly even 3. The rules are awesome. Perhaps IA 11 or 12 will be Necrons?

Lol, how my Nid players are going to cry foul?

Lord Damocles
24-09-2010, 19:25
Even tho it doesn't look how it's described (spidery? housing a large green crystal?) I still think it's a cool model.
This assumes that it's meant to be the Tomb/Crypt Stalker from Medusa V - which it blatantly isn't. The Medusa V construct was vastly too large to make a sensible model for!

The background attached to the experimental rules makes it clear that there are various different sizes and forms of Tomb Stalker.

But it isn't! In any way! It's a big caterpillar! It's not a good model when applied to the Necrons. Nids, maybe. Necrons shouldn't have stuff looking like that
Necrons already have a variety of spider/beetle-form constructs (Tomb Spyders, Scarabs, Sentinels, Harvester, 'Spyder Lord' etc. etc.). What makes a centipede so unnaceptable?

Dakkagor
24-09-2010, 19:27
I am STAGGERED by this model. Its so. . .awesome! I love it! I hope forgeworld do a whole 'mechanical fauna' range for necrons as tomb guardians, as more models in this vein would be simply amazing. . .

The Custodian
24-09-2010, 19:31
I may buy 2 even if I don't play crons,and join gem into one big centipede... I wonder how much of a pain it would be to turn it into a nid....

Vepr
24-09-2010, 19:35
It is what the carnifex wishes it was... hell it is pretty much a trygon in terms of rules and stats.

RobPro
24-09-2010, 22:38
Too bad it has rapid fire guns...

I think it looks great, and I plan on playtesting the rules as soon as I can.

Ozendorph
24-09-2010, 23:00
Too bad it has rapid fire guns...

I think it looks great, and I plan on playtesting the rules as soon as I can.

Shouldn't matter as MCs are Relentless if I'm not mistaken.

RobPro
24-09-2010, 23:23
If that's the case, then that's good. I don't think I've ever used an MC that had a rapid fire gun before.

MegaPope
25-09-2010, 00:42
Never mind Necrons, that looks like it makes a better Blood Slaughterer than THE Blood Slaughterer...

Reflex
25-09-2010, 06:44
I want it.... end of story...

Machinepriest
25-09-2010, 08:46
Reminds me of the human centipede.

Reminds me of a actual Centipede.

lazy.sarge
25-09-2010, 10:34
Reminds me of a actual Centipede.

I thought the same thing...

Reflex
25-09-2010, 12:06
how much are they charging for it???

Kroot Lord
25-09-2010, 12:18
36 GBP.

Atherakhia, how dare crandall87 have his own opinion?

Bunnahabhain
25-09-2010, 12:57
That is a nice model. I can only see one problem with it...

I can't help but see a titan stamping it into the ground, just like a bug. It wouldn't even be a hard conversion....

jspyd3rx
25-09-2010, 16:13
Buying this to put crushed like a bug on a giant base by a Titan is all win. Hope someone does it soon.

Bookwrak
25-09-2010, 17:39

I can't help but see a titan stamping it into the ground, just like a bug. It wouldn't even be a hard conversion....
Heh, and that's where the Phase Projector comes in handy.

"Oh my, is it intangible o'clock already? I think I'll just pop underground a tic, get a spot of oil until the stompiness blows over. :chrome:"

Da Black Gobbo
25-09-2010, 18:19
Why stomp it? why not blast it with a Vulcan megabolter? hehehe...

Pretty nice bug, hope GW put it on the new necron codex, that would make me think about starting a toaster army...

Tymell
25-09-2010, 18:44
Wow, I haven't reacted that loudly (in a good way) to a model in a long time :D

Absolutely stonking, 11/10!

Draconis
25-09-2010, 19:46
I think its gotten a pretty good response so far from the community would you agree? If only gw took some pages out of Forgeworlds book.

Mannimarco
25-09-2010, 23:34
Give them till the next necron dex, this will be in it at half the cost and twice the effectivness ;)

but yeah no denying its a stunning model, we should all be so lucky as to have somthing that neat made for us.

Gatsby
27-09-2010, 13:39
YAY we are getting love finally... I'm getting all teary eyed. I MUST have that.

Scythe
27-09-2010, 14:38

I can also see a couple of its mates crawling up the legs of the same Titan. Now that would be a nice coversion!

Very nice model. Though my Necrons don't see much action these days, I am rather tempted to get 1 or 2 of these.

AndrewGPaul
27-09-2010, 18:19
From the rules:

"Sense Cluster: Tomb Stalkers have the Night Vision
universal special rule."

Why not just write "Night Vision", then?

kaimarion
27-09-2010, 18:27
Managed to pick up one of these beauties yesterday and it is rather easy and fun to put together, at the moment I'am not a Necron player but after getting one of these bugs that may change :D.

Valek
27-09-2010, 18:42
Hmmm, cannot withstand that, need to have one, might start necrons after all enlieu of the Dark Eldar

Deamon-forge
27-09-2010, 18:49
Managed to pick up one of these beauties yesterday and it is rather easy and fun to put together, at the moment I'am not a Necron player but after getting one of these bugs that may change :D.

can you take a photo of all the bits if possible?

i so want to get me some of these when they hit the online store.

PostinDirty
27-09-2010, 22:23
From the rules:

universal special rule."

Why not just write "Night Vision", then?

because it adds a nice level of explanatory fluff rather than just having a cut-and-dried list of rules?

Malech
27-09-2010, 23:20
I know a Carrion Crawler when I see one! ;)
Looks awesome.

I feel sorry for the party that comes across this monster. :evilgrin:

AndrewGPaul
28-09-2010, 13:48
because it adds a nice level of explanatory fluff rather than just having a cut-and-dried list of rules?

So put that in the fluff, or at least something like "Due to its magic sensors, this model has the Night Vision special rule". No need for "New Rule: This model has the existing special rule rule."

Godzooky
28-09-2010, 13:53
I'd like to see three of these facing off against a couple of FW Brass Scorpions.

I'd just hope that that Blonde Willy bint from Temple of Doom didn't walk in on the large-insectoid-heavy game. She'd burst my blooming eardrums... :shifty:

kaimarion
28-09-2010, 20:43
Here are the pics just as requested:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z196/kaimarion15/Photo0392.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z196/kaimarion15/Photo0391.jpg

loveless
28-09-2010, 22:23

Because who doesn't want to spend 10 hours assembling a model?

Seriously, that's a lot of parts...makes my brain hurt a little :cries:

Havock
28-09-2010, 22:31
This receives my stamp of approval.

Seriously, this kind of stuff is exactly what the Necrons need, more lovecraftian horror for the win!

Yeah, less clunky robot, more of the horrors part.

impala
28-09-2010, 22:50
OK, so I just sent the link to my buddy who is starting Necrons. I wonder if I will have to face one in a 1500 point game now?

Bunnahabhain
28-09-2010, 23:13

Seriously, that is not a lot of parts by any normal standard for models.

A typical (Non GW) tank kit will have 100-150 pieces, and a premium quality, detailed one ( which is surely the niche FW is in) can happily have 200, 300, 400+ pieces. many of which are often left free to move-i.e. a fully detailed and working suspension system.

Just because most GW vehicles have 30-40 parts, you shouldn't lower your standards

EDIT. I know it an MC, but not many firms make those...

stonehorse
28-09-2010, 23:20
Nice to see some love being thrown to the red haired step child also known as Necrons. Might have to buy one or two of these.

Deamon-forge
28-09-2010, 23:25
thanks for the pic of the parts

Gazak Blacktoof
28-09-2010, 23:32
Any release date announced yet?

I agree that it will be a nightmare to pose, but frankly that pain is negated by the fact that you can pose it. I hope it's flexible enough to snake around something without major cutting a GS'ing.

PostinDirty
29-09-2010, 00:19
i found putting a drop pod together a pin in itself :( like, all the parts fitted beautifully, and its a very user-friendly kit, but it just took aaaaaggggggeeeesss. and i really can't be bone'sed painting it now

So put that in the fluff, or at least something like "Due to its magic sensors, this model has the Night Vision special rule". No need for "New Rule: This model has the existing special rule rule."

so? they can write their rules anyway they want so long as they're clear (which doesn't always happen obviously). i don't really why it'd be an issue

Scythe
29-09-2010, 06:41

Thanks for the effort, much appreciated! Will take a while to assemble, but completely posable, which is nice to know. Makes it more tempting to get multiples, as they can look different. I have put together the Hierophant and the Keeper of Secrets, so a few small parts don't intimidate me that much anymore ;)

AndrewGPaul
29-09-2010, 10:11
so? they can write their rules anyway they want so long as they're clear (which doesn't always happen obviously). i don't really why it'd be an issue

My point is, the way it's done there is less clear. To me, anyway.

loveless
29-09-2010, 18:16
Seriously, that is not a lot of parts by any normal standard for models.

A typical (Non GW) tank kit will have 100-150 pieces, and a premium quality, detailed one ( which is surely the niche FW is in) can happily have 200, 300, 400+ pieces. many of which are often left free to move-i.e. a fully detailed and working suspension system.

Just because most GW vehicles have 30-40 parts, you shouldn't lower your standards

EDIT. I know it an MC, but not many firms make those...

I'm thinking more of the potential mess of cleaning all of those parts - be it from actual washing or from trimming off all the little resin flash that seems to exist on thin parts (mind, the latter part is a bit of a "luck of the draw" situation).

The other thing for this one that you don't see in a lot of other high-component models is the repetition. Obviously, that's integral to the design, but I'm betting that assembling that exciting little set of plates and servos for the legs is going to get pretty old around set 5 or so.

I'm used to large models with moving components - most of them are varied enough to make them go by in what seems like a quick amount of time. This looks tiring.

Mind you, the end product is glorious, so it's well worth any time investment. It just seems like this is the first GW-style model that's going to feel a lot like assembling a squad of Necron Warriors - same thing, over and over, until you end up with something that looks pretty damn cool.

Bunnahabhain
29-09-2010, 18:26
I'm thinking more of the potential mess of cleaning all of those parts - be it from actual washing or from trimming off all the little resin flash that seems to exist on thin parts (mind, the latter part is a bit of a "luck of the draw" situation).

The other thing for this one that you don't see in a lot of other high-component models is the repetition. Obviously, that's integral to the design, but I'm betting that assembling that exciting little set of plates and servos for the legs is going to get pretty old around set 5 or so.

I'm used to large models with moving components - most of them are varied enough to make them go by in what seems like a quick amount of time. This looks tiring.

Mind you, the end product is glorious, so it's well worth any time investment. It just seems like this is the first GW-style model that's going to feel a lot like assembling a squad of Necron Warriors - same thing, over and over, until you end up with something that looks pretty damn cool.

Fair enough. Although I've done a few tanks with 10+ sets of moving suspension- either Trumpeter or AFV, I can't remember which. Those always tend to come to mind when I think of high part number kits, and they do have alot of repetition.

I agree it does look well worth it, but it is alot of work. Like full converted Guard platoons- only done the two of those...

PostinDirty
29-09-2010, 20:43
My point is, the way it's done there is less clear. To me, anyway.
GeeDub isn't exactly known for clear rules anyways :cheese: that, and these are still 'test' rules by the FW. so sure; they may not be as concise as they could be.

Jayden63
29-09-2010, 21:05

The worst part is, its Forgeworld quality resin. I'm sensing lots of time with a heat gun and filler for a model with that many small fiddily parts.

random600
01-10-2010, 07:04
I'm trying to figure out if this is actually being released to the standard public. Right now it only says its being sold at game day, nothing about later release.

TyphoonBoon
01-10-2010, 08:00
I love tht model its sweet but im thinking it should deffo be 0-1 at that points cost =)

DarthMcBob
01-10-2010, 08:20
Bah. It does not matter what ancient machinery you drones bring out. It's all the same after being digested by a mighty Hive Fleet. We evolve. You've remained static for 60 million+ years. You're doomed. :evilgrin:

Anyway, I do like the model, although it strikes me as being a real pain to put together. I doubt I have the patience or skill to do so. Good thing I don't play Nercrons and don't intend to start now.

Dark Aly
03-10-2010, 09:12
I do wonder at all the people complaining that the model is too complex... isn't that the point of a modelling hobby? it's a really cool looking model, it's infinately posable, reasonably priced and the complexity of putting it together would be a joy. simple models aren't anywhere near as exciting a project as this would be.

I don't collect necrons but i do buy models just for the joy of building and painting them and this has made it to the list :)

kaimarion
03-10-2010, 10:26
Thanks for the effort, much appreciated! Will take a while to assemble, but completely posable, which is nice to know. Makes it more tempting to get multiples, as they can look different. I have put together the Hierophant and the Keeper of Secrets, so a few small parts don't intimidate me that much anymore ;)

I just sold the one I have at the moment but when they are release I'll be buying two maybe three and making a massive Tomb stalker and a tiny one :p.
I'll try get some better quality pictures up tonight when I get the chances.

Darnok
03-10-2010, 12:30
I like the model. It adds some much needed variety to the Necron arsenal, and simply looks stunning. I'd never buy one though, because it seems to be a real pita to put together. :(

AndrewGPaul
03-10-2010, 13:48
I'm trying to figure out if this is actually being released to the standard public. Right now it only says its being sold at game day, nothing about later release.

From the newsletter:

"Exclusively available as an advanced pre-release at Games Day UK, this technological terror is priced at 36 and will be available in limited quantities." (emphasis mine). If it were a Games Day-only model, it wouldn't be a pre-release offer, would it?

jt.glass
03-10-2010, 18:19
From the rules:

universal special rule."

Why not just write "Night Vision", then?GW does this sort of thing all the time, and it is really annoying! :mad:

jt.

MajorWesJanson
03-10-2010, 23:08
I wonder what it would look like if you got two and made it into one super long one...

rkunisch
04-10-2010, 15:48
I wonder what it would look like if you got two and made it into one super long one...
Yep, I had the same idea. It would interesting to vary the length of it. It looks quite interesting to experiment with. I like it very much. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Lord Khabal
04-10-2010, 16:07
You could buy a couple and do 1 big stalker and with the remaining parts do a tomb spider conversion...

Revlid
04-10-2010, 16:34
I'm really happy about this model. Confirms the direction Necrons are taking. I'd also like to note that I freaking called a close-combat Necropede Tomb Spyder variant ages ago.

Kind of concerned its a heavy support (although it is the best slot for it) so it could be difficult fitting the obligatory monolith and a couple of these things into the list and still having the points to remain competitive.

We'll need to see how this fits in with then new necrons when they are finally releasedJust skimming the first page when I noticed this.
Suffice it say that Monoliths (or at least, Heavy Support slots) might not be as vital to the makeup of a Necron army as they were before. There will be options.