PDA

View Full Version : Floor Plans for Ship Boarding Actions.

Fallen DA
24-09-2010, 15:34
I've had this idea floating round for a while and with the Badab War Part 1 enroute to me as we speak, I thought I'd put pen to paper and see if there was any rumours or if something may come of this... Basically I thought it would be a win win scenario if GW brought out floor plans for Ship Boarding Actions, and I'm talking about either a whole print, 6ft by 4ft for example, of Space Hulk styled corridors etc BUT with Loading Docks, Engine Room, Bridge, Armoury, Medi-Center etc, the list goes on, properly spaced out to allow you to engage the enemy on board their ship. The other way of achieving the same thing would be to expand the Space Hulk Tiles with larger tiles, ie a Gun Deck 20" by 10" and so on. Not only would this add a whole new dimension for Space Hulk fans but could allow for Boarding Actions in the standard 40k game. To my mind these would be cheap to design and fabricate, and would'nt necessarily even need to be boxed. The mat could just be sold rolled up, and tiles could simply be wrapped, keeping the tree huggers happy and the price down.

So. Thoughts, Ideas or Facts people..... :D

OPEN FIRE..... :shifty:

Deadly Cornbread
24-09-2010, 15:40
I love working on and making scenarios, and when I heard about the boarding actions, I got excited. I've yet to swipe up a copy of the book, but I think you're going to find that a mission like this would be awesome if you made the terrain 3-D. If it were rolled up space hulk style, I wouldn't care nearly as much. I'd say start working on making corridors and rooms. Make each room and hallway interchangeable so you could make a new gameboard. When I've completed my ciies of death terrain (4 imperial sectors and assorted other stuff) I'm going to begin my space craft board.

Inquisitor S.
24-09-2010, 15:41
How would that be a win-win?

Fallen DA
24-09-2010, 17:26
If you make the board 3-D though the cost is going to go right up. A lot of the detail could be printed onto the tiles, with maybe some objectives having a specific model. Or for those inclined to add detail, forgeword do a medical table which you could for example put over the the detail of the medi-center tile. Making guns for the Gun Deck wouldn't be that difficult, and placing models into the Loading Dock. Crates and boxes would also pad out the board and the doors from SH etc.

Carlos
24-09-2010, 17:48
Try to find an old copy of Space Crusade and take some scissors to all the rooms.

jubilex
24-09-2010, 17:56
I'd say start working on making corridors and rooms. Make each room and hallway interchangeable so you could make a new gameboard. When I've completed my ciies of death terrain (4 imperial sectors and assorted other stuff) I'm going to begin my space craft board.
I made a mine for my table, entrances, lift shafts etc.
It looks nice, but the games we've had on it have been a bit poor.

As most of the time, you are out of los (we put limits on vehicles and obviously no barrage), players tend to hug units on corners, waiting for targets that avoid them like the plague ... hasn't quite worked for us.

impala
24-09-2010, 19:14
Y'all might want to mosey over to Worldworks Games and look at Codename: Titan, their new modular starship terrain system. It looks a little labor-intensive to build, but damn good and sturdy for cardstock.

http://www.worldworksgames.com

Abaraxas
25-09-2010, 13:56
Space Cusade+Ebay...my suggestion

Leftenant Gashrog
27-09-2010, 17:29
I'll second http://www.worldworksgames.com

Space Crusade is a classic and usually goes for obscene prices on ebay, plus it'd look better without destroying something that only exists in dwindling numbers.

AndrewGPaul
27-09-2010, 18:15
Scans of the Space Crusade floorplans are easily found on the Internet.

Ironmonger
16-12-2010, 19:18
This is the way I'm going: http://www.battlebuild.com/id2.html

Ok price for what you get, modular, and good quality. As a bonus, it can be used with either the Anphelion Project, or Space Hulk, too!

As far as the 'Blood in the Void' goes, has anyone actually played games using these rules? I'm going to the next time I get some free time and an interested member of our group (hopefully shortly!), but I was curious as to how the Catastrophic Damage Table has worked out in games. Also, has anyone gone the next logical step and added the Anphelion 'fighting in confined spaces' rules to a Deck Levels game? Frankly, I'm surprised FW left it out of the book!

AlexHolker
16-12-2010, 21:30
You've really got two problems, here: designing the modules and turning the designs into game pieces. Personally, I'd turn the first step into a kind of community project, where anyone can submit modules for people to look at.

I've attached an example template for a 2 foot square spaceship module, surrounded by bulkheads. Just rename it as a .csv file and open it in Excel, and each cell represents half an inch. Using this template, personnel-accessible bulkhead doors are only placed in the centre of one foot wide sections and vehicle-accessible bulkhead doors are only placed in the centre of two foot wide sections.

carldooley
16-12-2010, 22:38
star wars minis initially came with starbase tiles that could be converted into something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Ironmonger
17-12-2010, 00:01
You've really got two problems, here: designing the modules and turning the designs into game pieces. Personally, I'd turn the first step into a kind of community project, where anyone can submit modules for people to look at.

I've attached an example template for a 2 foot square spaceship module, surrounded by bulkheads. Just rename it as a .csv file and open it in Excel, and each cell represents half an inch. Using this template, personnel-accessible bulkhead doors are only placed in the centre of one foot wide sections and vehicle-accessible bulkhead doors are only placed in the centre of two foot wide sections.

star wars minis initially came with starbase tiles that could be converted into something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Who's looking for what now?

carldooley
17-12-2010, 00:21
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19453514/New_Terrain_Tiles_-_Previews_of_all_8.&post_num=18

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=010753050335830773696:ses62ofhwsq&ie=UTF-8&name=sa&q=swm+tiles

:D

Thylacine
17-12-2010, 00:36
I have thought about doing this, few people have done it as it takes a lot of time, resources, money and a skill-set that few gamers have. (casting large components in resin and then cleaning them up) It is a very hard project to pull off and for most it is a one off event.

Just look at the detail and gear required by the builders in the links!

http://spacehulk.beckerf.de/html/3d-spacehulk.html

http://www.resinaddict.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=105

prowla
17-12-2010, 01:56
I have thought about doing this, few people have done it as it takes a lot of time, resources, money and a skill-set that few gamers have. (casting large components in resin and then cleaning them up) It is a very hard project to pull off and for most it is a one off event. Just look at the detail and gear required by the builders in the links!

Yep, resin casting isn't quick or cheap. You need to use quality stuff for molds and resin, or else the results will not be good, and those things cost somewhat. I looked into resin casting a bunch of stuff for a urban table, but it pretty much turned out that it's around the same price and a lot easier to buy the kits from GW :p If you want to make a full-sized spacecraft board, what could be done to make it easier and cheaper, is to just cast the floor tiles with some pipes etc. details running along them. The models are easy to made by using GW kits. Simple walls, potentially with some cast details, can be made from plasticard.

Mannimarco
17-12-2010, 02:21
What do we think og the Ainsty tunnel?

http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aitechtun.htm

chromedog
17-12-2010, 03:50
I just use my old spacehulk set(s).

With the Deathwing and Genestealer sets, there is even a fairly long 'L' shaped section that is 3 squares wide and is wide enough to park a land speeder in.

Otherwise, I have a collection of older starship deckplans with a 25mm grid from my several decades of gaming.

Sai-Lauren
17-12-2010, 09:18
I made a mine for my table, entrances, lift shafts etc.
It looks nice, but the games we've had on it have been a bit poor.

As most of the time, you are out of los (we put limits on vehicles and obviously no barrage), players tend to hug units on corners, waiting for targets that avoid them like the plague ... hasn't quite worked for us.
So play Eldar, and use as many units of Warp Spiders as you can fit in the army. ;)

Bonzai
17-12-2010, 14:45
When the new battle missions book came out, I experimented with the new kill teams on a space hulk battle board. Here is what I learned;

1. The narrow corridors create bottle necks. It gums things up when models have to go single file.

2. The long corridors creates firing lanes, and he with the best guns, tend to win. Especially when combined with #1.

3. Nothing bigger than a terminator base can move about freely. This limits what can be used.

Garvey
17-12-2010, 16:33
Check out the paper terrain models at World Works Games. I've used a few of these and they`re awesome!