PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Warlord

fyrenn
24-09-2010, 16:04
I was hoping to have some opinions, and perhaps even advice, on the general of my new Skaven Horde.

There are a lot of different directions that I can go in, but I decided that I wanted to mount him on a bonebreaker because it would be an awesome model, as well as a +1AS for monstrous cavalry and +1 wound.

The question I have is how to prepare him so he does not get killed off.

Idea 1: Armor of Destiny (50), Talisman of Reroll Armor Saves (25?)
Also Shield

If my math is correct, this gives me a 3+ save + rerolls of saves, and a 4+ ward save.

Idea 2: Warpstone Armor (30), Amulet of Ward Save +4 (45), also shield.

This one gives me a 2+ save, 4+ ward save, and causes a hit kick back of a St 4 hit for every saved wound.

I would also presumably give a +1 ST magic weapon or something.

My goal is for him to be reasonably durable as he'll be hanging out in a group of 6 rat ogres so he can get a LO,S. However, i'm not really trying to make him a hero/monster killer so much as a combat winner. Is this a reasonable direction for me to go in, or am I way off base planning wise.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. thanks!

Sandals
24-09-2010, 16:17
given the cheapness of skaven generals, i would take a cheap on eon foot as the actual general of the army, probably with the ward save, just to spread his Leadership around. If you want one in Rat Ogres, I would go with the first option to keep him alive.

scarvet
24-09-2010, 16:47
I pefer a warlitter, simply because the Warlord will still be infantry and cheaper.

Kevlar
24-09-2010, 17:52
Rat ogres don't give a bonebreaker a look out sir.

fyrenn
24-09-2010, 21:46
Hmm... Why do they not? I thought that if it fit with the unit size it is in, it can have LO,S. Because they share the same and it ranks up with RO's? (the only reason I combined the unit was for LO,S and if thats a non-starter, I wouldn't bother ranking him up at all.

Even if not, don't you get a 4+ LOS if you're standing near a unit or something like that?

I like the idea of not using him as the general, and having a general huddling in my stormvermin instead.

DisasterMaster
24-09-2010, 22:41
I kit my warlord out so: warpstone armor, dawn stone, and warlitter. This provides a 2+ save (4+ for armor, +1 shield, +1 warlitter). This save is also rerollable and returns wounds saved. Then with remaining points I give him some weapon. You still get LOS with warlitter so don't have to worry about cannons and other things which plow through his armor save

Kevlar
24-09-2010, 23:05
Hmm... Why do they not? I thought that if it fit with the unit size it is in, it can have LO,S. Because they share the same and it ranks up with RO's? (the only reason I combined the unit was for LO,S and if thats a non-starter, I wouldn't bother ranking him up at all.

Even if not, don't you get a 4+ LOS if you're standing near a unit or something like that?

I like the idea of not using him as the general, and having a general huddling in my stormvermin instead.

It is not base size that matters. It is the new unit type classification. Bonebreaker is monstrous cavalry. Rat ogres are monstrous infantry. I know it sucks they really should have made the BB monstrous infantry. We have no monstrous cavalry in the army to shield it. Maybe take some allied Juggers of Khorne.

fyrenn
26-09-2010, 00:46
It is not base size that matters. It is the new unit type classification. Bonebreaker is monstrous cavalry. Rat ogres are monstrous infantry. I know it sucks they really should have made the BB monstrous infantry. We have no monstrous cavalry in the army to shield it. Maybe take some allied Juggers of Khorne.

Woah,

Thanks for that, it changes things quite a bit!

I think that might be a supplemental hero killer warlord instead - hopefully in a 2500 list there will be enough other targets to go after. With swiftstride and all, for about 250pts I figure he can still be a usable offensive piece in my arsenal.

If my warlord is in a unit with a war litter, would you think there a need to spend a lot of points on a ward save? I understand there's some magic concern, but a +2 armor isnt bad if he's getting the LO,S.

russellmoo
26-09-2010, 04:18
I like running a warlord on a bonebreaker with the fellblade-

As long as he is not the army general he usually doesn't attract enough attention shooting wise- plus I run him on the flank- or near whatever monster is on the board as that is what this build is great at killing-

Say goodbye to stegs, giants, maybe even a steamtank-