PDA

View Full Version : Index Xenos: May WD Question

Strikerkc
28-05-2005, 02:48
Now I'm reading through the May White Dwarf "Index Xenos" about Biel-Tan, and I got to a part talking about the "Autarch". It's an exarch that has lived in many different Warrior Aspects (before they became true exarchs I would assume) that "War is first nature". And acts kind of like commander in chief of the craft world during times of "a protrcated or especialy desperate state of war".

Is this an already established part of Eldar Fluff that I've just managed to miss, or is it something new?

If it's new, I wonder if it's a possible new HQ choice? But I supose that's a thread I could start later if it turns out that it is new info.

Thanks in advance.

Khaine's Messenger
28-05-2005, 03:13
It's not really new (Exarchs sometimes "cycling aspects" are mentioned in the WD 127 article on the Eldar, iirc), just reinvigorated and repackaged after a little housecleaning in the musty attic that is the annals Eldar background. And yeah, I'd heard that the devs were considering it for another HQ choice. It should be noted that it is an armylist choice for the Biel-tan Swordwind Epic army (you can peruse it on the Epic site), though.

Strikerkc
28-05-2005, 03:38
It should be noted that it is an armylist choice for the Biel-tan Swordwind Epic army (you can peruse it on the Epic site), though.

Ok, that explains why it was brought up in their index xenos.

Captain Stuart
30-05-2005, 05:28
Aspects used to be able to cycle, but not Exarchs. I believe that changed with the 2nd edition Codex when the suit/spirit stone combo received the narrative focus.

Rich
30-05-2005, 11:39
If it's new, I wonder if it's a possible new HQ choice? But I supose that's a thread I could start later if it turns out that it is new info.

It's not an entirely new concept per se, but has been brought in to allow Eldar forces to be choosen without including farseers and make an entirely military opperation, without using the expensive (and fluffwise rare) avatar.

Sai-Lauren
31-05-2005, 15:58
Aspects used to be able to cycle, but not Exarchs. I believe that changed with the 2nd edition Codex when the suit/spirit stone combo received the narrative focus.
Yes, IIRC, once an eldar becomes an exarch, they take an exarch suit from their shrine and assume the name of the original warrior to wear the suit. They don't become part of the suit (that's the Phoenix Lords), and can remove it when not at war, (especially if they're elected to be the Young King), but they're trapped within that particular aspect of the path of the warrior.

An aspect warrior can stay on the path of the warrior and go straight to another aspect when they leave their current one (potentially running the risk of getting stuck on the path), or can go to another path. There's been very little explanation of how the eldar actually choose the path they'll follow next.

Strikerkc
31-05-2005, 19:19
There's been very little explanation of how the eldar actually choose the path they'll follow next.

Behold, the reveared "Dart-Board of Paths". One gifted to each Eldar Craft World at the time of the fall. Each a relic of such potence that not even the great Eldrad himself can predict the strings of chance that hold sway upon them!

inquisitorautry
01-06-2005, 01:05
The Autarch is also an option in Epic Eldar armies. Which gives rise to the possiblity of a middle range Eldar HQ (i.e. not a farseer or avatar).