PDA

View Full Version : Ex Gw staff and playing with them in there house.

Heimagoblin
26-09-2010, 19:51
Basically, a close friend of mine wants to join a gaming group who play in the home of a GW staff member he knew when he was staff, aswell as a load of there mates. The question he asked and I had no answer for was, since he is only 16, would the staff guy get into trouble if an accident or something happened, or just because he was there?

Please make it clear whether you are theorising or know for a fact. A link to a law site would be useful but he says he hasn't found any.

Thanks in advance, Heimagoblin

ps. Isn't it a ridiculous world we live in :rolleyes:

Nemesis7884
26-09-2010, 20:02
....????....???? why does that have to do with them being gw or non gw staff...???

tell us in which country you live then somebody can answer related accountability

Ratbeast
26-09-2010, 20:05
If the something happened was illegal, yes he would, if not should be fine

Heimagoblin
26-09-2010, 20:15
Sorry, its in the Uk.

Nemisis: There could easily be all kinds of crap in there contract not allowing them to do stuff like this, even after they stop working for the company.Think about it.

Kravunhive
26-09-2010, 20:20
GW cant stop their staff hanging out with their friends, even if they were ex staff. Like Ratbeast said, if something illegal happened, yes.

Maybe I'm not understanding what your getting at

wilsongrahams
26-09-2010, 20:20
The only way anything could be classed as illegal was if he was charging for attendance other than refreshments maybe, otherwise there is no law against people of different ages meeting.
I think you may be worryin too much about naughty old men syndrome.

Gonders
26-09-2010, 20:26
I know what you're getting at.

I don't know if it exsists any more but GW used to be really funny about their staff getting to matey with the regulars.

Way back in the ninties, our staff were rumoured use staff discounts for mates, aquire toys for people and all sorts, so i think they had a crack down, like GW do.

Hecky, we used to play football with our local redshirts :P

But anyhoo, no, If they're ex-staff, they can't touch them at all, af far as i know, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Gonders.

Nemesis7884
26-09-2010, 20:31
well then you need to check the contract of the gw member...i only know uk has case law, so no info from this side - in my country there wasnt any problem...but maybe in the uk you get a public execution? lol...seriously hes pretty surely fine...except the weed, the coke, the whores etc....(hey its gonna be a fun evening no!?)

Heimagoblin
26-09-2010, 21:03
Cool thanks very much. I really have no experience of this sort of thing so..

xxRavenxx
26-09-2010, 21:57
So... are we casting aspersions of him using his empire cannon on the younger guys corsair unit (nudge nudge wink wink... etc.) due to the age gap, or is this a legitimate question as to if GW can ban their (ex)employees from having friends?

Because if its a) Yeah he'll be in trouble, if its b) No he wont.

Bryan
26-09-2010, 22:42
Something tells me unlessthe club is called Slaaneshs Pleasre Den or something the problems won't exist. That said ask the guy running it?

wizbix
26-09-2010, 22:49
Political correctness goes mad again.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
27-09-2010, 06:34
Since Y2K, with the parliament act 1911, the UKs buggery laws have been abolished, and the age of consent has been set to 16. So there is absolutely no reason for your friend not to date older men.

Doubt there'd be any repercussions from GW. If such, you'd expect the ex-employee to know about it and have taken the decision to ignore this. This is his decision and shouldn't affect your friend.

So your friend should feel free to play a game of Warhammer with the guy - or anything else for that matter - as this really isn't up for GW or anyone else to decide :)

- And guys, you really should wrap those lewd and insecure remarks and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. They're neither fun, nor helpful to the kids :rolleyes:

That said, if there is any kind of nervousness involved - and there probably is, since you're making the post - make sure to have a parent/guardian involved, if only just to help bring the minis, meet, greet, shake hands and leave, just to make sure :)

TheDarkDaff
27-09-2010, 07:56
Since Y2K, with the parliament act 1911, the UKs buggery laws have been abolished, and the age of consent has been set to 16. So there is absolutely no reason for your friend not to date older men.

Doubt there'd be any repercussions from GW. If such, you'd expect the ex-employee to know about it and have taken the decision to ignore this. This is his decision and shouldn't affect your friend.

So your friend should feel free to play a game of Warhammer with the guy - or anything else for that matter - as this really isn't up for GW or anyone else to decide :)

- And guys, you really should wrap those lewd and insecure remarks and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. They're neither fun, nor helpful to the kids :rolleyes:

That said, if there is any kind of nervousness involved - and there probably is, since you're making the post - make sure to have a parent/guardian involved, if only just to help bring the minis, meet, greet, shake hands and leave, just to make sure :)

Perfect response. The only thing you would have to look out for is breaking other laws. I don't remember all the laws over in the UK from when i was there, but back home in Oz you still have to look out for things like alcohol and cigs which it is illegal to supply to anyone under 18 under any circumstances (even for parent's to give their own kids a sip of wine has a $5,500 fine).

For some reason i think Australia still has a higher age of consent for gay men (18 instead of 16 for everyone else - even lesbians). I think the UK even legalised gay marriage for a while.

Spider-pope
27-09-2010, 08:16
As long as the club runner doesnt start giving your friend cigarettes, booze or knives, all of which have an 18 age limit, or passing around illegal substances then there should be no problems.

xxRavenxx
27-09-2010, 15:07
I think the UK even legalised gay marriage for a while.

Its not quite marriage, its still legalised, and I feel the need to add the comment: Why shouldnt they have the same right to be miserable, then loose half their stuff to someone else in a messy breakup? :P

Overlord Krycis
27-09-2010, 15:36
Basically, a close friend of mine wants to join a gaming group who play in the home of a GW staff member he knew when he was staff, aswell as a load of there mates. The question he asked and I had no answer for was, since he is only 16, would the staff guy get into trouble if an accident or something happened, or just because he was there?

Please make it clear whether you are theorising or know for a fact. A link to a law site would be useful but he says he hasn't found any.

Thanks in advance, Heimagoblin

ps. Isn't it a ridiculous world we live in :rolleyes:

Is...is this a serious question...?

Because unless he was doing something illegal then there is absolutely no problems (with gw or otherwise).
As a staff member I used to have a mini gaming club with my mates every weekend and guess what, GW staff members (both current and ex) used to go too. There was even a couple of folk from the local club who were 16 went.
Sorry if this comes across as a little harsh, but it seems that when questions like this arise it feels like I've stepped into the twilight zone of political (and corporate) correctness...or is it culturally sensitive now...? :D

amysrevenge
27-09-2010, 16:10
Different country, different game, similar situation (barring possible "even once you no longer work here" clauses in a mythical contract that somehow holds weight once expired): my local D&D club used to have gamedays at a guy's house. We had a couple of minors, one as young as 13, play unsupervised at our gamedays.

What made it work was the cooperation of the kids' parents. One kid had his mom play a couple times with us. She didn't care for the game, but found out we were harmless young- to middle-aged nerds and the kid has been playing with us for about 4 years now. The other kid's folks didn't play, but they made sure to have a chat with the club officers right at the start to the same effect.

ColShaw
27-09-2010, 16:32
I'm an ex-GW staffer myself, though I live in the USA, not the UK. I'm quite sure they had no power to do anything to me after I was no longer with the company, no longer wearing the red.

ecwh070
28-09-2010, 04:11
I think the UK even legalised gay marriage for a while.

To be politically correct - Civil Partnership :)

Gammalfarmor
28-09-2010, 05:05
Just don't get drunk this time?

soots
28-09-2010, 05:22
is this like teacher-student relationships?

Pacorko
28-09-2010, 18:03
As long as the club runner doesnt start giving your friend cigarettes, booze or knives, all of which have an 18 age limit, or passing around illegal substances then there should be no problems.

These should sum up the answers and wrap up the matter, with the mild addition about the "accidents" part. If an accident occurs and the club owner/ exGW staffer, you, etcetera do not have a part in actively causing such an accident due to omission, forethought (or lack thereof), careless behaviour, et al... there's no liability whatsoever. Accidents happen, period.

Anything else that might happen/take place and is not outright illegal as per the COUNTRY'S LAWS shouldn't be a problem.

That said, GW has no control nor clauses about how an employee passes his/her time off the office.

So, really... that should be that with this rather silly question. ;)

xxRavenxx
28-09-2010, 18:11
If an accident occurs and the club owner/ exGW staffer, you, etcetera do not have a part in actively causing such an accident due to omission, forethought (or lack thereof), careless behaviour, et al... there's no liability whatsoever. Accidents happen, period.

The problem is that you'd be surprised what counts as omission.

He tripped and hit his head on the book case!

Why was the corner of the bookcase so pointy?

Why was there a rug for him to trip on?

Etc.

Especially when calling it a *club* (and even without doing so) you are open to all sorts of grief after an accident. Generally nothing comes of it when its in your home because its your friends, or a workman, who is generally responcible for his own safety while working.

I have read a lovely scary booklet on "how the law can kick your ass because of an accident" as part of setting up a shop. Its not a nice system.