PDA

View Full Version : Never ending Challenge?

Venerable_Bede
26-09-2010, 20:50
Played a game today where my Chaos Sorcerer was locked in a challenge with an Arch Lector for about 4 turns without either of them being able to kill the other. This took place while a unit of Chaos Knights that the Sorcerer was with stood there twiddling their thumbs since models in a challenge cant' target or be targeted by other models. So it effectively tied up a unit of knights for multiple turns.

The rules say that a challeng that's not won (by killing the opponent) continues into the second turn of combat. We assumed that this meant it would continue on ad infinitum.

Any thoughts on this?

SiNNiX
26-09-2010, 20:55
Yes, a challenge continues until it's resolved.

theunwantedbeing
26-09-2010, 20:59
Your free to combat reform (upon a passed leadership test) at the end of any given combat where you are only engaged on 1 side provided you don't take anyone out of the combat.

So your less likely to be quite so held up now.

Venerable_Bede
26-09-2010, 21:03
I neglected to say that the Arch Lector was alone, so it was literally the Arch Lector and the Chaos Sorcerer fighting while the Knights just stood there watching-- for four turns.

SiNNiX
26-09-2010, 21:14
I neglected to say that the Arch Lector was alone, so it was literally the Arch Lector and the Chaos Sorcerer fighting while the Knights just stood there watching-- for four turns.

Yeah, I was wondering why the two units hadn't decided the combat after 4 rounds. :)

T10
26-09-2010, 22:37

Remember that even though the two characters aren't doing any damage to each other you still need to determine which side is the winner and take the appropriate break tests.

Of course, if the chaos knights include a musician or a standard then they'll always win if no wounds are caused. And since the Arch Lector on his War Altar is Unbreakable...

Well, sometimes it sucks getting poor-offense-good-defense characters locked in a challenge.

-T10

Da Crusha
26-09-2010, 23:37
Ha!, well now you'll learn not to have a character or champion in the unit when you charge the arch lector.

WusteGeist
27-09-2010, 06:10
The long and short is, yes you can be stuck forever. I use to use the bring back unit champ trick with my VC against warriors of chaos all the time. Rather effective trick to make sure the general stays busy hacking up rank and file. Oh look BOB the unit chump died, oh wait hes not REALLY dead back into the challenge there BOB.