PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day and Why it is

Crazy Harborc
28-05-2005, 02:49
I remember, after all these years. I have tried to live a little better, do what was/is right (at least part of the time). Remember some good times some laughs we shared. Double dates to the drive-in. His dad bought us a six-pack and took the car-keys. We were best friends, I was a year older.

I joined the Navy (just like may dad). He joined the Marines (just like his dad). A couple of times, we were on leave and home to swap lies and drink a few (a LOT).

They said he couldn't have known, couldn't have had time to hear it. Closed coffin, full honors ( a salute of 7 and taps), a folded flag for his parents.

I have always felt that as long as someone remembers them/him/her, in a way they are still with us.

I found out about my friend 3 days before Memorial Day so long ago. Oh, there were other friends, buddies, I served with....366 days and I got to come back to the world.

This year I "need" to hit the "submit" key. Sorry, thanks, whatever.

Rabid Bunny 666
28-05-2005, 03:03
sorry to hear that dude, if you can ,offer my condolances to his family even though i didn't know him

these things creep up on you, but it sounds cruel, but i prefer it when it is sudden, my aunts got cancer, next stop is the spine/brain and i know its only a matter of time.

Neywon Darkson
28-05-2005, 08:30
Know what you mean Crazy harborc. One of the two days a year I reserve for my friends gone but never forgotten. For those I served with and those I didn't. I know a lot of people son't want to hear about it, but thats life. To military and ex-military men the day has a different meaning than to most civilians.

Thank you for serving my brother.

Lord Lucifer
28-05-2005, 08:56
I have always felt that as long as someone remembers them/him/her, in a way they are still with us.
Almost exactly the words of the Athenian general Pericles

[/pointless trivia]

m1s1n
28-05-2005, 15:35
I just wanted to thank CH for posting this. Memorial Day isn't just about barbeques with the family, but remembering how real the world is. I am only 24, and from a younger generation of Americans that has never known the draft--and in most cases did not understand violence until September 11th. I truly appreciate what you and your friends, and those who came before you, have done--not just for us--but for me. Thanks.

notdakuningist
28-05-2005, 19:49
Here here. If anyone hasn't read Kurt Vonneguts thoughts on memorial day and previously armistice day, I do sincerely recomend them.
Memorial day isn't just for soldiers and sailors either, it's also for the countless civilians lost during wartime. So many dead all around. :(

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:28
We all owe thanks to you and your friend for protecting the world.

respect and love are owed to you all.