PDA

View Full Version : wizard levels

prolink007
27-09-2010, 01:21
I was wondering what exactly it means when you have a level 2 wizard.

For instance, "A vampire lord is a level 2 wizard and knows spells from the lord of the vampires."

Does that mean that i get to pick 2 spells from the "lore of the vampires" and carry those into battle? How do i determine what spells my casters have and how many?

Thanks

Lazarian
27-09-2010, 01:30
in most cases your level directly translates into the number of spells you have. In any other case where this differs it will be listed (Necromancers, Dwarf characters, ect.)

prolink007
27-09-2010, 01:48
Do i get to pick the spells i carry into battle or do i have to randomly generate the spells?

R-Love
27-09-2010, 01:54
Page 490 of the Rulebook contains all the information you need for selecting spells. Note that Necromancers have their own rules for spell selection, and all Vampires know Invocation of Nehek in addition to the ones they roll for.

WusteGeist
27-09-2010, 07:26
Also R-love the VC errata states that VC ignore the rule for rolling "doubles". IE any VC caster can know the Necro spells as well as other VC casters (so yes you can have more than 1 caster with Invocation running around).

prolink007
27-09-2010, 16:38
Thanks for all of the help so far. I have an older rule book atm, and my 8th edition rule book should be coming in the mail in the next few days. My next question is, how do i select what spells i want to carry into battle? Do i just pick 3 (if my wizard is level 3) from the schools of magic that the rules say i can pick from? Or do i have to randomly pick spells from those schools of magic? I could not find the exact ruling on that in the rulebook i have atm.

Thanks

prolink007
27-09-2010, 19:23
Bump, because i am eagerly awaiting a response, wanting to finish creating my army today and this rule is holding me up.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

TheKingInYellow
27-09-2010, 19:43
It's in the VC army book too, page 39.

prolink007
27-09-2010, 19:46
It's in the VC army book too.

Then i must be overlooking the rule. Because i do not see anywhere it tells me whether i can just 'choose' the spells i want or if i have to 'randomly' pick the spells i take into battle every time i field my units.

Can someone please point me at a rule or just answer the question please?

The reason why i am confused is because at the top of the magic list in the VC rules it tells you how to randomly pick spells by rolling a dice.

Thanks in advance.

DwD
27-09-2010, 21:39
I'm trying to get back into Warhammer and read through the magic rules a couple of times today. I only got the 7th rulebook so dont take my word for it but it said that if you got 3 spells you roll a D6 and pick at random. If you get the same twice you reroll, if you got 2 or more mages they can know the same spells.

Thundergod
27-09-2010, 21:45
Sounds like you found where it tells you how to get your spells. Go to the GW website, grab the errata/FAQ for your army book, check for any changes, follow the directions.
I think you might be making it more complicated than it needs to be.

TheKingInYellow
28-09-2010, 05:10
at the top of the magic list in the VC rules it tells you how to randomly pick spells by rolling a dice.

Bingo. There's your answer.

mishari26
28-09-2010, 05:37
there's also this bit in the VC errata:

Page 39 – Lore of the Vampires
Ignore “If you roll the same spell twice, roll again.”

So basically this is how you do it:
- for every vampire you have, you roll a number of dice equal to his wizard level, and those are the spells you get.
- for each duplicate spell you roll for, you have to choose a different spell which isn't known by another of your casters. if you can't, (because all the spells are taken) then the slot is lost.
- you can swap any one of the spells to Raise Dead.
- in addition, all your vampires also have Invocation of Nehek.

I hope I got it right.

Kalandros
28-09-2010, 09:09
Also:

Two vampires rolling for spells cannot both have Vanhels but one rolling and one buying the spell (necromancer or forbidden lore) can both have Vanhels.