PDA

View Full Version : All Cavalry On'G

_dandaman_
27-09-2010, 01:11
Hello everyone! I'm a big fan of uncompetative lists, as I'm a big fan of such uncompetative lists, I've set my sights on an all cavalry orcs and goblins list, but I've never played orcs and gobbos, and I have no bleeding idea where to start. I know there has to be someone out there that can help me out. I'm looking for mostly unit sizes, # of heroes/lords, and what equipment should I give them?

Thanks;

Dan

Waagghh_Logan
27-09-2010, 11:45
Well it depends, orcs and goblins have 4 cavelry units so theres a bit of variety at least.

You could have an all spider mounted army, and as spider riders are 13 pont core choices you could have alot of them.
Goblin warbosss' also have the option for gigantic spidrs so that would be a good option to lead your army.

Wolf riders are the other cavalry core choice and are pretty much the same as spider riders with a few extra weapon options

Boar boys and savage boar boys are basicly the same as each other aswell and cost 22.

id recomend making units of ten for all the models or 5 if you wanted to go for small flanking units of spider/wolf riders.

The general could be a gobin on gigantic spider as i said before or and orc warboss on boar and all the heroes have the options of wolfs or boars so take any of them.

you can give an orc the ironback boar object which is a sort of metal boar. that could be interesting to convert if you wanted to.

i collect O&G but dont use much cavalry so thats just some advice from a skim through the armybook.

Hope it helps a little

Storak
27-09-2010, 14:25
squig hoppers are a sort of cavalry as well and there are boar and wolf chariots to add.
snotling pump wagons can add deployment choices and are not that bad against certain armies.

you could field a huge unit of wolf riders, a big unit of boars/savage boars some chariots for hitting power and a couple of smaller units of wolfs/spiders/boars/squigs as support and distraction.

magic and the big waagh spell will help a lot, to get into combat quickly. but damage will mainly come from characters.

the list will be extremely underpowered though. other armies could form much better all cavalry lists, but still don t. animosity can just cripple the all important combo charges and i don t see how you are going to break any serious unit.

good luck with such a list!

Feefait
27-09-2010, 14:32
It doesn't seem to me to be about being competitive, as it is about fielding something crazy. I would definitely load up on hoppers and chariots to provide your hard hitting units and then swing around wolves and such. Spiders also ignore all terrain. This might be a much better idea when the new book comes out with the rumored gargantuan squig or spider.

russellmoo
27-09-2010, 18:39
I love this concept and have often thought about creating something similar-

why not a spider rider horde- say 40+ or maybe run both a spider rider horde and a wolf rider horde- then boar boyz and chariots on the flanks- I don't think you will be as "uncompetitive" as you think-

_dandaman_
27-09-2010, 23:23
So what do people think of a couple of ideas I had;

My core setup looks like this right now:

20x Wolf Riders: F/C, Bows = 290 pts

20x Spider Riders: F/C = 290 pts

Thoughts? And my boar boar boyz setup:

17x Boar Boyz: F/C, Banner of Butchery = 440 pts

I need a great deal of help on my hero and lord setups. I'm thinking of a shamman of some sort and a killy orc warboss, problem is I have no clue what to give them or even what kind of orcs and gobbos I should make them.

All advice is appreciated;

Dan

Storak
28-09-2010, 14:33
So what do people think of a couple of ideas I had;

My core setup looks like this right now:

20x Wolf Riders: F/C, Bows = 290 pts

Thoughts? And my boar boar boyz setup:

17x Boar Boyz: F/C, Banner of Butchery = 440 pts

I need a great deal of help on my hero and lord setups. I'm thinking of a shamman of some sort and a killy orc warboss, problem is I have no clue what to give them or even what kind of orcs and gobbos I should make them.

All advice is appreciated;

Dan

horrible. playing a not so competitive list is ok. but this one simply lacks everything that an army needs.

this army will not only lose every battle, but also every single combat!

a unit of 20 wolf/spiders doesn t really fight better than 20 empire spearmen. multiples of them are pretty much useless. your units should have a purpose and the army a concept.

i would start with something like this:

main units (could win fights against enemy non-elite) all full command.

6-8 savage orc big uns, including main char and magic banner(s).

15-20 orc boars including main char + magic banner(s).

25-30 fully equipted wolfs including 2-3 gobbo big bosses. (to break steadfast)

combat support:

3 chariots (for combo charges)

10 squigs (second line, possibly flank)

flank support:

2 times 12 wolfs (fast cav?), could break ranks of weak units by flank attack

distractors (keep tough units busy)

4 times 5 wolfs/spiders with musician and bows

magic banners should focus on speed and combat punch. the idea is to survive the first turn by providing multiple important targets. break through weak parts of the enemy line by using combo charges with the surviving units. kill as many weak support units as possible. avoid and distract the enemy main combat units all game long. (they should be infantry and slower)
moving the surviving orcs, so that they don t give away to many victory points during the rest of the game.

looking at the last lists that i played against, i can t see the army achieve a single of these objectives though.

anyway, good luck!