PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading VC list to 3000pt

Slothmasta
27-09-2010, 03:24
Hey Guys,

So I'm finally upgrading my VC list to 3000pts (about the max points we usually do).

Please review the list below and let me know what you think.

Core (851)
------------
18x Skeleton Warriors
- Musician
- Champion
- Standard Bearer
- Lichebone Pennant
Bunker for Lord/Necro's with 6+ WS against Magic

28x Crypt Ghouls
Offensive Unit.

28x Crypt Ghouls
Offensive Unit.

28x Crypt Ghouls
Offensive Unit.

Special (452)
------------
29x Grave Guard
- Great Weapons
- Musician
- Champion
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of the Barrows
BSB sits here for +1 hit 15 S6 Always Strike Last Killing Blow attacks with Regeneration. Of course weakness is flaming attacks.

Rare (750)
------------
1x Varghulf
Stomping Flanks

1x Varghulf
Stomping Flanks

5x Blood Knights
- Musician
- Champion
- Standard Bearer
- The Flag of Blood Keep
Hard hitting unit for flanks. Will house Dreadknight Vampire.

Heroes (520)
------------
1x Necromancer
- Staff of Damnation
- Vanhel's Danse Macabre
Hold Staff of Damnation for extra attacks and to help ghouls move forwards or re-rollable ASF. In Skelly bunker.

1x Wight King
- Great Weapon
- BSB
- The Drakenhof Banner
Standard BSB setup for Drakenhof. Could try The Flag of Blood Keep or Royal Standard of Strigos for less points?

1x Vampire (100) (190)
- Enchanted Shield (15)
- Dawnstone (25)
- Infinite Hatred (25)
- Dreadknight (25)
Help lead Blood Knights into flanks. 1+ re-rollable AS. Extra Invocation of Nehek if needed.

Lords (415)
------------
1x Vampire Lord
- +1 magic level
- Helm of Commandment
- Wristbands of Black Gold
- Master of the Black Arts
- Forbidden Lore
- Lore of Death
- Summon Ghouls
Level 3 with 3+ WS against range with 2+ against magic (In Skelly bunker and/or 2+ LoS!). He is vulnerable in CC though which is his weakness. The bunker is kept behind battle lines at ALL times.

Helm of Commandment speaks for itself.

2 extra dice. Know all Lore. Lore of Death to remove enemy level 4's and summon ghouls to make sure I can get the most out of them.

Total
------------
Total Army Cost: 2988

Maybe remove Champion and Standard Bearer in Blood Knights as I can't seem to fit a Dispel scroll :( I wanted to have 2 lords but can't seem to fit a magic lord and a combat lord. What are people's preferable builds at this level?

Tomalock
27-09-2010, 04:29
Definatly drop the champ on the BKs. He is a liability and completely unnecessary. With any BK able to accept a challange you don't have to worry about protecting your Vamp from challanges. Give the vamp that runs with them Blood Drinker. That helps to keep the BKs up without needing power dice. I personally give my BK's Strigos, but I also built my army around them and they have the regen banner with them as well. At 2500 I run 2 lords, one caster and 1 combat, so I am sure you can manage it at 3000. If you give the BK's Strigos then you can drop infinate hatred from the vamp and give him the terror causing vampiric power, which gives them a chance of forcing their target to flee. You mention lore of death but I dont see where in your list you have it?

In any event, hope that offers something useful. My list is a bit different as I go for a Blood Knight approach, but in 3k I have a Vargulf too and they are gold. Two should do you well.

Slothmasta
28-09-2010, 05:05
At 2500 I run 2 lords, one caster and 1 combat, so I am sure you can manage it at 3000.

I can't seem to get my lords under the 750 point limit for 3000 let alone 625 for 2500 while having everything else I want. I've found double Varghulf great as well as ~30 GG and an 18 Skelly bunker to be great sizes.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your preferable builds at this level?

The best I seem to do is 795 and im not sure what to sacrifice or do you run "naked" Vampire Lords?

Below are my preferable builds when I run them individually:

1x Vampire Lord (380)
- Blood Drinker
- Flayed Hauberk
- Crown of the Damned
- Red Fury
- Infinite Hatred

OR (if mounted)

1x Vampire Lord (380)
- Blood Drinker
- Crown of the Damned (might be too far away from BSB on flank, talisman of preservation? but that is 10 points more)
- Red Fury
- Infinite Hatred
- Dreadknight

WITH

1x Vampire Lord (415)
- +1 magic level
- Helm of Commandment
- Wristbands of Black Gold
- Master of the Black Arts
- Forbidden Lore
- Lore of Death
- Summon Ghouls

Maybe my lord build with

1x Vampire Lord (330)
- Blood Drinker
- Crown of the Damned
- Infinite Hatred
- Dreadknight

Or maybe no ward and keep it the same as my thrall as it will receive a ward from the Blood Keep? but then CC is reliant on AS.

Tomalock
28-09-2010, 08:28
Again, keep in mind that my list revolves around my unit of 9 Blood Knights, so my combat lord benifits from the regen banner. This is how I run them at 3k:

Caster Lord (He is also my General):

Helm of Commandment, Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden Lore (Metal) total: 320pts

Combat Lord:

Extra Level, Nightmare, Blood Drinker, Flayed Hauberk, Dragonbane Gem, Red Fury, Forbidden Lore (Light) total: 430pts

Lords Total: 750pts

BSB Vampire:

BSB, Dread Knight, Supernatural Horror, Drakenhof Banner total: 300pts

My caster lord sits back in a bunker of skeletons and keeps my foot troops going (run 30 ghouls x2, 30 GG w/ GWs, vargulf, and the block of 30 skellies), using metal to give a unit +1 to hit and AP as well as a 5+ scaly skin. My combat lord runs with the Blood Knights. He has 2+ armor, 4+ regen, and 2+ ward against flaming attacks (a golden item for only 5 points).

It may seem like a naked caster is asking to get popped, but he is toughness 5 and has awsome combat stats. Cast an odd invo to keep the wounds down and he should stay fine, even if he gets into combat.

At 2500 points my caster lord is identical and my combat lord has blood drinker, dread knight, and forbidden lore (Light) for 305 points. My BSB just drops Supernatural Horror and clocks in at 275pts.

The nice thing about building a list around Blood Knights is that they don't care if your general dies, so his protection becomes a matter of convience rather than that of necessity. I will often have the rest of my army die and still win the game because the Blood Knights continue to rampage through the enemy's lines. But that isn't as helpful for your list, so my suggestion would be to run your combat lord kind of like I do at 2500 points, where he is deadly and will keep the blood knights going, but isn't super kitted out. Spend the other points on your general (the caster) and give him some protection. Your army won't do well if he dies and should probably take some extra protection. I'd also take a closer look at Light for your caster. Our army really benifits from combat augments. You can't go wrong with giving every unit within 12" WS10, I10, ASF, +1 attack, and double movement. Throw in Pha's Protection your infantry are supremely scary!

In any event, sorry for rambling on there. Hope that helps some. My advice is go leaner on your combat lord as your Blood Knights aren't built to smash units head on and spend the points on the caster lord. Good luck which ever way you go!