Dire Wolves (x5) 40

Dire Wolves (x5) 40

SPECIAL:-
Black Knights (x9): Full Command, Barding, the Royal Standard of Strigos 327
RARE:-

The Knights of Blood Keep (x5): Full Command: Banner of Hellfire 335

Varghulf 175

Total 2498

Im concerned that the skeletons are very vulnerable on their own and that the MOTBA vampire is the only one who will be around with the Lord and Hero vampire off killing things.

Thanks for any comments

ramongoroth
27-09-2010, 12:56
The Skeletons' role is to hold up the enemy while the rest of your army does the killy bits. That's all you need them to do really. I usually give one the war banner to help with static CR.

Why does the BSB have the lycni?

I am assuming you're planning on boosting the ghouls units early? Otherwise one group of 30 is better than 2 groups of 15. Personally (assuming you have the models) I would make one skeleton group 10-15 count and use that as a bunker for the casting BSB. Take what would have been the 10-15 skeletons and boost the starting ghoul sizes and use those as your front line guys. The one bigger skeleton unit would be a good choice for the war banner if you find the points.

TheKingInYellow
27-09-2010, 19:30
Why have the Helm on a fighty vamp lord? He can't use it if he's in combat, and if he's not in combat you are wasting a 400+ pt lord.

STEALTHDUDE
27-09-2010, 19:48
Thanks for the responses, firstly the vampire lord has the helm because although he is a beast in combat I see him as a jack of all trades, whilst he can cause utter carnage in combat he is also a pretty good caster. By being near combat but not in it he could lend his WS 7 to any of my units that are stuck in.

My theme and personal preferences mean that Skeletons are going to be my mainstay units. With this in mind, is it better to have larger units (30 man strong) or even larger? I saw the ghouls as mainly acting as flankers but maybe they are not appropriately sized to fulfil this role?

The size of the ghoul units is a result of my 7th edition list, previously I would raise them up to decent levels, however with the new magic rules I cant see raising an army to ever be a viable tactic, magic seems too important for things like Vanhels etc.

The BSB is designed to keep the main battle line moving forwards, lycni and his armour are meant to keep him away from trouble, or allow him to charge in to add much needed wounds if necessary (though this is very much a last resort)

What do people think of having fightly vampires in units of skeletons? are they too vulnerable for this to be a viable option?

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
27-09-2010, 19:56
If you put the vamps in the Blood Knights then they will attract all of the fire in the world.

I assume the dogs are for giving the knights cover-that will work quite well.

Vargulf are magnificent-the stomp is awesomeness incarnate, I would take 2 and beef up your funbus and grab some magic standards for the skellies.

A raising necro would do well-they are super cheap and do a good job in support.

Dan

STEALTHDUDE
27-09-2010, 21:45
Ok taken on board some of what has been suggested a rewritten my list. I have kept the Lord mounted on his hellsteed so I can redeploy him wherever needed. He is armed with teh sword of strife (+2A) to give him a possible 12 S5 attacks if he rolls well :)

I have also upped the number of skeletons in each unit and added magical banners to both, the ghouls have now become a bunker for my MotBa vampire who will keep the battleline rolling forwards and also provide his WS to boost the skeletons chances on victory.

The mounted Vampire is designed to add much needed punch to the Black Knights; losing the ability to move through terrain is big but i feel that as Vampire Counts core is now so weak and fear is not the game winner it used to be that it is important to have two very hard hitting cavalry units to smash enemy units with.

Vampire Counts Army Cursed Crusade of Mousillon 2500 Points
LORD:-
Vampire Lord Baron Frost: Lvl 3, Hellsteed
- Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight
- Sword of Strife, Crown of the Damned, Cadaverous Curiass 475

HEROES:-
Vampire: Walking Death, Dread Knight (Joins Black Knights)
- Book of Arkhan, The Balefire Spike 195

Vampire: BSB, Master of the Black Arts (Joins Ghouls)
- Helm of Commandment, Black Periapt 220

CORE:-
Skeleton Warriors (x30): Full Command, Warbanner 260

Skeleton Warriors (x30): Full Command, Standard of Endless Nightmare 260

Crypt Ghouls (x14): Ghast 120

Dire Wolves (x5) 40

Dire Wolves (x5) 40

SPECIAL:-
Black Knights (x9): Full Command, Barding, the Royal Standard of Strigos 327

RARE:-
The Knights of Blood Keep (x5): Full Command: Banner of Hellfire 335

Varghulf 175
Total 2497

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
27-09-2010, 21:56
much better, I am not a fan of Blood Knights but it's your call.

Flying vamp lord needs wristbands of black gold if he is to survive.