PDA

View Full Version : Can characters on flying mounts join units?

Lord Inquisitor
27-09-2010, 17:18
Quick and simple.

It used to be that a character on a flying mount (e.g. Hellsteed) couldn't join units. Is this true in 8th? I thought it was but I can't find it anywhere.

Makrar
27-09-2010, 17:28
Yes, depending on the type of mount (alltho it loses the ability to make a fly move)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-09-2010, 17:32
Characters on flying mounts can join units quite happily, though they lose the ability to fly and obviously there mount type must permit it.

Hope this helps.

Lord Inquisitor
27-09-2010, 17:39
Okay, thanks. And presumably a flying character still has swiftstride even when unable to make a fly move, so when joined to a unit of cavalry won't lose them swiftstride. Interesting!

Khorneguy
27-09-2010, 17:56
Can a monstrous flying mount join units? eg. In DE, Hellebron on Manticore joining a unit of cold one knights?

Lord Inquisitor
27-09-2010, 18:06
Not if it's a "monster" unit type (which I presume it is). P105, "A character on a ridden monster cannot join other units." I don't think flying comes into whether you can join a unit or not (except that you can't join flying units).

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-09-2010, 23:29
Okay, thanks. And presumably a flying character still has swiftstride even when unable to make a fly move, so when joined to a unit of cavalry won't lose them swiftstride. Interesting!

That would make sense from a fluff kind of view, as even if the creature is moving on the ground its wings would still speed it up a bit. And I'd say it makes sense from the rules too, nothing to say that not being able to fly at the time loses you swiftstride (I don't think).

Chris_
27-09-2010, 23:56
Page 97 guys, all spelled out quite clearly.

sutekh
22-07-2013, 20:49
Hey sorry a further question from an old player who stopped and is returning to find a new edition-

Can a flying character now join a unit with the fly ability? If so what are the restrictions? IE can a Vampire with the fly vampire power join a unit vargheists and have both the character and the unit still benefit from fly?

kefkah
22-07-2013, 20:58
No you can join a non flying unit as a flyer but a character can never join a flying unit.

Lord Inquisitor
22-07-2013, 20:59
No character of any kind can join a flying unit. Not even a bretonnian lord on a pegasus joining a unit of pegasus knights.

Glen_Savet
23-07-2013, 00:16
Not quite correct Lord Inquisitor, the Skink Chieftain has a special rule allowing him to join a unit of Terradon Riders. Or it may be the Terradon Riders have a rule to allow the Skink Chief to join them... Either way, he's the only one that I know of that can join a unit of fliers.

Blanket statements are the worst. (oh irony)

Vaiuri
03-08-2013, 23:05
Ok. So I'm pretty confused about skink characters on terradons joining units of terradons.

The BRB clearly states characters cant join units of flyers (p97). Presumably this applies to the special character Tiktaq'to also. In which case why does he have a magic item allowing all terradons in his unit to use his weapon skill? This basically would just include him and his own terradon.

Am I missing something? I was hoping that because terradons and rippers are classified as monstrous cav this would allow characters to join them, but that doesn't negate the flying cav special rule.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!

Ramius4
03-08-2013, 23:18
Ok. So I'm pretty confused about skink characters on terradons joining units of terradons.

The BRB clearly states characters cant join units of flyers (p97). Presumably this applies to the special character Tiktaq'to also. In which case why does he have a magic item allowing all terradons in his unit to use his weapon skill? This basically would just include him and his own terradon.

Am I missing something? I was hoping that because terradons and rippers are classified as monstrous cav this would allow characters to join them, but that doesn't negate the flying cav special rule.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!

In the 7th edition Lizardmen book, there is a rule specifically allowing Terradon units to be joined by characters riding a Terradon. The 8th edition rules did not change this. It is an army book exception to the BRB rules.

Presumably this will be the case with the new Lizardmen book as well, although it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they "forgot" to include the rule.

Phazael
04-08-2013, 01:19
Not quite correct Lord Inquisitor, the Skink Chieftain has a special rule allowing him to join a unit of Terradon Riders. Or it may be the Terradon Riders have a rule to allow the Skink Chief to join them... Either way, he's the only one that I know of that can join a unit of fliers.

Blanket statements are the worst. (oh irony)

Not as of the new book, but I think they just goofed on that one......

Ramius4
04-08-2013, 02:14
Not as of the new book, but I think they just goofed on that one......

Heh... Nice. And doesn't Tik Taq To even have a special rule in the new book that's supposed to affect HIS unit of Terradons? If so, that's extremely lazy writing.

Vaiuri
04-08-2013, 10:01
Yes he does. So because he can't join flying units his special rule affects just his terradon. Something tells me the writer didn't think this through :-( I'm willing to bet the FAQ rules he can't join units either.

I wouldn't mind so much , but they even give you all the bits to make a skink character on terradon or ripper in the kit - I can't fathom why you would want to make one if he can't join a unit of the same type.

Jim
05-08-2013, 11:24
Clear oversight by Vetock - will surely be FAQ'd that TiqTakTo can join Terradon units

Jim

Wesser
05-08-2013, 22:06
Clear oversight by Vetock - will surely be FAQ'd that TiqTakTo can join Terradon units

Jim

Hmm,don't Count on it. Generally writers Work hard in order to NOT to make exceptions like that anymore. Actually allowing Tiq'Tak to join a unit would create a precedent that's gonna spark 10 kinds of bother.

Without knowing his other rules he's likely to be an anti PD-guy with some other stuff

Lord Inquisitor
05-08-2013, 22:41
Well, they might errata it like the Rune Maw. We were pretty sure the Rune Maw wasn't meant to work on friendly spells and they did change the wording in the first FAQ.

Or maybe it's a rule that won't be useful until 9th edition? Assuming the Lizardmen book isn't invalidated then.

bigbiggles
06-08-2013, 06:24
That's a good point about 9th. I always felt it was too restrictive with the current flying unit rules

Loq-Gor
15-08-2013, 22:30
Terradons and Ripperdactyls are flying cav, different rules from flyers, and nothing I can find restricting characters from joining them. Either a chief or Tiktaq'to are free to join them, no special rule necessary as I understand the rules. Also Tiktaq'to's rule allows him to upgrade one unit with the ambushers rule, it need not be a unit he has joined, though his ambusher rule would be wasted if you put him with a unit that didn't also have it.

Lord Inquisitor
15-08-2013, 22:48
Unless they are some fancy kind of flying cav due to their unique rules (don't have the new lizard book), flying cav is simply fast cav and flying.

Loq-Gor
15-08-2013, 22:52
What is your point, other than apparently to support my statement that flying cav is different from flyers?

Lord Inquisitor
15-08-2013, 23:05
Flying cav is indeed different from fliers. As well as the fly rule they have fast cavalry. Are you saying they don't have the fly rule?

Loq-Gor
15-08-2013, 23:11
Of course they don't have the fly special rule. Look at the special rules for flying cav units, not one of them has the fly rule, they have the flying cav rule. Different rules.

Glen_Savet
15-08-2013, 23:17
Of course they don't have the fly special rule. Look at the special rules for flying cav units, not one of them has the fly rule, they have the flying cav rule. Different rules.

The flying cavalry rule includes the fly rule. This prohibits characters from joining the unit.

Cobra
15-08-2013, 23:44
Very easy guys no character ridden monsters or unmounted monsters can join units unless mentioned otherwise in their special rules. No character can join any unit that flys unless mentioned otherwise in their special rules even if they them selfs can fly(this includes flying calvary because they are a flying unit) . Characters on flying mounts can join units without fly as long as it is not a flying monster.

Loq-Gor
16-08-2013, 00:40
I might have been convinced if one of you had not changed what the rules actually say, but you all did that. Simply making up rules, like "[the] flying cavalry rule includes the fly rule" or "[no] character can join any unit that [flies]", does not prove a point. What it does say is that flying cav "are treated as fast cav with the fly special rule" (BRB pg 70) and that "a character cannot join...a unit of flyers..." (BRB pg 97) Now I freely admit that they can be interpreted this way, but they can also be interpreted as flyers being units with the fly special rule, which no unit of flying cav has.

Cobra
16-08-2013, 01:21
I might have been convinced if one of you had not changed what the rules actually say, but you all did that. Simply making up rules, like "[the] flying cavalry rule includes the fly rule" or "[no] character can join any unit that [flies]", does not prove a point. What it does say is that flying cav "are treated as fast cav with the fly special rule" (BRB pg 70) and that "a character cannot join...a unit of flyers..." (BRB pg 97) Now I freely admit that they can be interpreted this way, but they can also be interpreted as flyers being units with the fly special rule, which no unit of flying cav has.

For real bro?

My point is in the highlighted part of the quote. That rule is so they dont have to write Fast calvary and fly on unit profiles.

Blkc57
16-08-2013, 01:27

I can't help it, I laughed so hard reading this. in case you are being serious, it specifically says that flying cav are just fast cav with the Fly special rule. Meaning they have they have the special rule fly which says that charcters cannot join them them. Although I am envisioning a unit of Flyers having such a convo:

"Sir, we are now flying cavalry!"
"Excellent, gentlemen, to the ground! We walk from now on!"

Lord Solar Plexus
16-08-2013, 08:14
Terradons and Ripperdactyls are flying cav, different rules from flyers

Irrelevant. They cannot be joined by characters. Flyers fly, flyers have the fly special rule, that's what you probably use to move them. You're just mincing words.

StarFyreXXX
16-08-2013, 15:34
if they are smart, they will allow the skink chars to join units of terradons. it was there last edition, and fairly certain it didn't destroy the game due to some huge imbalance.

:)

And exceptions to BRB rules is what makes the game fun IMHO. the more standard rules without unique exceptions, the more they can just turn the game into checkers. all sides, the same rules. no reason to have unique models either then. Just have red painted army vs blue vs purple, etc.

Sanjay

Cobra
17-08-2013, 00:57
if they are smart, they will allow the skink chars to join units of terradons. it was there last edition, and fairly certain it didn't destroy the game due to some huge imbalance.

:)

And exceptions to BRB rules is what makes the game fun IMHO. the more standard rules without unique exceptions, the more they can just turn the game into checkers. all sides, the same rules. no reason to have unique models either then. Just have red painted army vs blue vs purple, etc.

Sanjay

Im sure that they meant to put that rule into the book and Im sure that it will get FAQed but most of us (me anyway) were talking about the rule in general.

Spiney Norman
17-08-2013, 08:23
Hmm,don't Count on it. Generally writers Work hard in order to NOT to make exceptions like that anymore. Actually allowing Tiq'Tak to join a unit would create a precedent that's gonna spark 10 kinds of bother.

Without knowing his other rules he's likely to be an anti PD-guy with some other stuff

He has a rule which passes one of his stats (WS I think) along to "other terradons riders in his unit" so I think it is pretty clear it was intended that Tiktaq'to should be able to join those units if he wants to make use of that rule.