PDA

View Full Version : Question about cavalry supporting attacks.

Thaddius
27-09-2010, 19:30
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before but I searched and couldn't find an answer to my question. Which is, how many supporting attacks does the back rank of cavalry get? Do they only get 1 as infantry or, do they get up to 2 (if they have that many) since the horse does not get to attack? I found nothing about it in the BRB or the FAQ about it. In the rulebook is uses the plural for of attacks when talking about the supporting attacks and it uses chaos knights as an example. At any rate, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Synnister
27-09-2010, 19:40
the answer to your question is on pg 49. Basically it says a warrior making a supporting attack can only ever make a single attack. So, for cav you'd get 1 attack with the rider's profile from the 2nd rank.

TheTrueSloth
27-09-2010, 19:50
the answer to your question is on pg 49. Basically it says a warrior making a supporting attack can only ever make a single attack. So, for cav you'd get 1 attack with the rider's profile from the 2nd rank.

There's the cavalry rules further back too that state that only the rider and not the mount gets to make the supporting attack too, haven't got the RBRB to hand right now though.

Toodles

Thaddius
27-09-2010, 19:53
Thanks for the quick response

Bah, then what's the point of paying 40 points for Chaos knights? I mean, if you take too small a unit they will be shot up by the time they get there! And there is not point to having a second rank of them if they only get a single attack, so lame.

Synnister
27-09-2010, 19:55
uhh 1+ armor save, 5S 4T 3A causes fear ... the list goes on and on. Seriously, Chaos knights are the best hvy cav in the game and they are undercosted.

Tae
27-09-2010, 21:44
Thanks for the quick response

Bah, then what's the point of paying 40 points for Chaos knights? I mean, if you take too small a unit they will be shot up by the time they get there! And there is not point to having a second rank of them if they only get a single attack, so lame.

If you're really worried take the Blasted Standard (5+ WS in the shooting phase) and if you're really worried add Mark of Tzeentch. Besides which, it takes on average 162 Empire archers firing at long range to inflict a single wound on a a unit with that banner - and that's even without MoT!

Cannons will take out 1, maybe 2 if you angle them wrong - but again, easy to give them a ward save. Stone throwers aren't anywhere near as dangerous anymore thanks to being s3 and no longer ignoring armour saves.

Honestly, your Knights will rarely, if ever, get 'shot up' before getting accross the board in the 2 turns it takes them. But, if the worst does happen, it'll take such a massive amount of firepower the rest of your army will be waltzing over the battlefield completely unscathed.

Thundergod
27-09-2010, 22:04
small unit, still plenty scary and as durable as anything other than a steam tank.
bigger unit (two ranks) causes disruption on a flank or rear charge, even more durable, guys in the second rank each get an attack.
Honestly, the Chaos Knights were given their point cost prior to 8th ed, at that time they got exactly 0 attacks from the second rank. So yay for you if you take 10 or more, bonus.

Mr_Rose
28-09-2010, 16:14
If you want two ranks of cavalry, take marauder horses with flails. Hit almost as hard and deny rank bonuses if you flank whilst being a bit cheaper too. Really scary with MoK because they can't be baited after making their vanguard move and so can actually get into position to do something horrible without having to test for it.